Port adventures Caymans, Jamaica and Cozumel

What is the sand shuffle? Will water shoes protect you from this?

Stingrays often lie in shallow water and cover themselves with sand. If you're walking in the water in a beach area just shuffle your feet a little as you walk. The stingray will feel the vibrations, know you are coming and get out-of-the-way. Water shoes make no difference. What you're trying to do is avoid stepping on the stingray. If you were to do that they flip their tail up in a defensive measure and you may get stung.

What is the sand shuffle? Will water shoes protect you from this?
In these areas there are skates and stingrays that love to burry themselves in the sand and can be hard to see. The safest way to walk in the water is to sand shuffle which is scooting your feet along rather than taking steps where your feet leave the sand and re-enter. When you shuffle it pushes sand to the front and will give the skate or stingray time to move out of the way. Taking regular steps or marching could potentially startle them or you could step on them causing them to use their defensive mechanism. Water shoes wont protect you in that case. But as a rule of thumb wear water shoes anyways. We taught our 6 year olds the shuffle and none of us had an issue all week.

I would agree with dcassetta, Nachi Cocom in Cozumel is amazing

In Grand Cayman, you have to see Stingrays and snorkel. Even the 6 years old will love it, i've taken mine since they were much younger and love the catamarans as they are stable and comfortable for kids plus lots of room, you aren't squeezed in next to other people. Stingray City Catamaran

For Falmouth, there is Dunns' River falls and river tubing, if they love the water:) https://jamaicacruiseexcursions.com/excursions/dunns-falls-river-tubing-falmouth/
Do you have to set up anything before hand to go to Nachi Cocom? Or do you just get a taxi and show up there??
Thanks!

Do you have to set up anything before hand to go to Nachi Cocom? Or do you just get a taxi and show up there??
Thanks!

You have to reserve your places in advance - and as I understand it, it regularly (like almost always) sells out early.

@ Docmum: Oh wow, that sounds amazing! I hope I will get to see you then in your Disney Dresses :) Only one month to go!!!

@ tee11: We chose the "Ruins, Cocoa and Beach Break" at Cozumel and visiting the Good Hope Estate in Falmouth/Jamaica. On Grand Cayman we'll visit the Turtle Centre on our own.
I'll tell you how it all worked out in December ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter