POR or SOG?

monkeybug

<font color=blue>I feel safer when I know where th
The price difference between the two is almost nothing, and we'll have a car so transportation isn't that big of a factor either. Which would you choose?
I know shades of green has larger rooms and a path to the Poly for the monorail, but POR would mean the wristbands (possibly, if they are out by May), better pool for the kids, and the boat to DTD. It also offers the ability to charge to the room, which my husband likes. I don't think we'll be getting dining though, so that's not a factor either. (just doesn't seem like a very good deal anymore)

We've stayed at POR twice (and I would be booking a preferred room), but never at SOG.

SoG would be the better choice IMHO. They have a nice pool there and the extra size of the rooms is a real plus. With your own car you can get anywhere on WDW property quickly.

Out of the two I have only stayed at SOG. I did not like it very much.

Pros:

-spacious rooms
-path to POLY (we did not use and I did not know about...) :mad: :confused3
-simple pools/hottubs
-still had the little TV in lobby :)
-room could lead out right to pool (depending on location)
-good golf course

Cons:

-BAD food :sad2:
-no slide at pool
-no real Disney feel...

I probably would not stay there again. I have stayed at many other Disney resorts which were a lot better.

POR has a nice pool w/ slide, good food, queen beds, boat to DTD, ect...
That is why I would choose POR.

Have a great trip and Good Luck deciding!!!

-FantasiaMagic pixiedust:

I haven't stayed at Shades of Green, but it doesn't have a lot to draw me to it. The largeness of the rooms is basically offset by the lack of theming. The location is offset by the fact that it's not actually more convenient to the Magic Kingdom (the moderate buses will drop me off outside the gate - the SoG buses will only get me as far as the TTC or I can walk over to the Poly).

Keep in mind that if you stay at Shades of Green you have to pay for parking at the Disney parks, unless you use the bus transportation. (There's one bus that takes you to the TTC for either MK or Epcot, then DHS & AK each have their own bus)

The wristbands are supposed to be made available to everyone at some point, so there's no guarantee that you won't be able to get them either way.

Keep in mind that if you stay at Shades of Green you have to pay for parking at the Disney parks, unless you use the bus transportation. (There's one bus that takes you to the TTC for either MK or Epcot, then DHS & AK each have their own bus)

When did this change? When we stayed at SoG we always got to park at the Disney parks for free.

I personally love SoG. And although the walk from the Poly can seem long at the end of a long day it is very pretty

But for the OP I would probably choose POR. Who knows if the next time that you go if the price for POR will be close to the price for SoG since it is normally more expensive.

We stayed at SOG a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. The hotel is very nice and clean with large rooms and private balcony/patio. Our only complaint was the very limited quick service dining options. Yes, the SOG pool is nothing special, no slide or theming, but we aren't big pool people, so we didn't really care.

We found the SOG transportation to be just fine. We actually enjoyed that the buses dropped us off at the TTC for MK and Epcot so that we could ride the monorail and ferry (yes, we're oddballs). And I do believe parking was free at the parks for us when we stayed at SOG.

Another thing to keep in mind is that SOG is a much smaller and more compact resort than POR, and also has indoor corridors (that is important to some people).

All that being said, we are booked to stay at POR this coming May (our first time staying there). I am really looking forward to a resort with disney theming and great quick service options.

So, I guess it boils down to what is more important to you: theming, fun pool with slide, and better dining options (POR) or larger rooms with balconies in a smaller, compact resort (SOG).

Good luck with your decision! I'm sure you'll have a great time either way!! :)

I have stayed at both SoG and POR, if you have stayed at both I don't know why you are asking, since they both have pros and cons.

My stay at POR, con the room was way way out of the way and after the second day we moved to a preferred which was better but the noise was not. The food court was not great, the buses where packed both going and coming and many times we had to wait for a second bus. Both times we used the boat we had trouble, once getting to dad, once getting back, rain and other problems that they would not tell us. Pros, it was a nice setting, the pool was good and loved the horses at night. DDP was added for only $20 an adult back the, but cons where we never arrived to ressies on time because of buses.

My stay at SoG, much much cheaper, even with the 40% off at POR for our friend who worked for Disney. The rooms were twice the size. The atmosphere was quieter and more pleasant. The theme was not as good but was not bad. We just book our vacation this morning and I debated also, but for $73.10 a night I could not justify POR. The con is the food although I don't think Disney food is any better, I think it all leaves a lot to be desired, but at least I am not paying more for it at SoG, I am not paying taxes and I am not forced to pay an 18% gratuity if I don't want to, all making it seem better food than Disney offers me. I don't mind the buses from SoG I find them better than POR, also I rather like the quaint walk along the river to poly for the monorail. I also like the fact that my bus is empty on the way home and I don't have to wait 3 bus loads before I am loaded like I did at POR on two nights. I also like the tax free store and the quiet lobby to sit and read in the middle of the night, at POR the lobby was noisy and crowded even at 3 am with people coming in.

My choice SoG, but that's me, I do like them both and would stay at either, so I now go for the cheaper so I can spend more days in the park. We are doing 14 days in October.

Oh forgot transportation, the down fall is not having ME at SoG, which brings your price up. You said you have a car, parking is $5 a night at SoG and you do have to pay at the parks so that is a downfall of SoG, but since I am blind and can not drive, that makes no difference to me.

Oh forgot transportation, the down fall is not having ME at SoG, which brings your price up. You said you have a car, parking is $5 a night at SoG and you do have to pay at the parks so that is a downfall of SoG, but since I am blind and can not drive, that makes no difference to me.

Do you have to pay for parking at the parks when you stay at SOG? I didn't realize that.
We would pay $136 a night for SOG (including the $5 parking fee), and POR with the 35% off for a preferred room is about $160 a night, a little less if we did standard. So POR is more expensive, but not by much. If I have to pay $14 a day for parking then they are pretty much even money.

Thank you everyone for the replies! I think I go though this dilemma every time we go to Disney. :rolleyes1
Maybe I should do a split stay between the two just so I can finally see for myself what SOG is all about, but I don't have to worry about missing that disney feel for the whole trip.

Yes as of a little more than a year ago you have to pay for parking, $14 a day plus the $5 for the hotel. Gets that just upped your difference. But to me I can only drive autotopia, since I am blind so that is never a factor for me.

I have been to both and I would go back to POR in an instant, SOG, not so much. We like being immersed in the magic and while SOG is on property it is not the same. We got the same feeling as we did when we stayed at Bonnet Creek. It's like being invited as a guest to a club. You're there but not really. We like to charge back to the room to keep track of our purchases and for ease and you can't do that at SOG. My husband refuses to go back to SOG simply because the food was awful. That is saying a lot since he is military and we all know what junk they are forced to consume. If he won't eat it that says something. :crazy2:

Now that you have to pay for parking at the parks and Disney has had the discounts it just doesn't make it a financial necessity for us to stay there for now. That being said, if Disney ever stops the discounts my cheap husband may rescind his no SOG order. In the end, money will always override his stomach. :rotfl:

We just returned from a trip to SOG and I was really happy with it. I guess like others have said you have to decide what you want out of your hotel. I was extremely happy to have the daybed for my daughter to use. I loved that everyone had their own bed (my son in a queen, my and DH in other queen, and daughter on daybed). It was worth it to me for that alone! No fighting from kids and I wasn't forced to have my daughter kicking me all night!:rotfl2:

As far as cost goes, we stayed four days and only paid for parking one day. Whenever we went to MK or Epcot we either walked to Poly or went to TCC and used monorails. I paid for parking the day I went to Hollywood and then hopped to AK. You only pay once per day no matter how many parks you visit.

Finally, make sure you check the SOG website and their specials. I should pay $131 a night but paid $90 a night due to a special they were running. I think they run specials quite often and add specials often as well. So, make sure you are taking that into account with cost. Plus no tax is huge!

Finally, as far as the food goes, we had breakfast and it was fine but didn't have anything else. We walked to the poly a couple nights and watched the fireworks from the beach and got some snacks over there. It is a short walk and is another good option for food if you are worried about that.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip!!:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter