Pop Warner Cheerleaders???

Winnie Pooh Fan,

Last year our football team made the playoffs and we were given info on Florida in the event that they won (unfortunately they lost the fourth playoff game out of six). Since the team didn't play until Wednesday of the week, our plans would have been to arrive on the Tuesday. So there is the possibility that not all the teams will be there on Sunday the 5th of December. Each organization may decide when they will arrive depending on when they compete. I was looking on Pop Warners site to see when the cheerleaders are competing this year but couldn't find the info on their website. Last year the cheerleaders competed on the Thurs and Friday of the week, but if they have more teams competing this year, I would image that they would be competing on extra days. Hope this helps. :D

Originally posted by emmabelle
Hello, I'm a mom who hopes her daughter's cheering squad makes it to Disney for Pop Warner Week. I've never been there in December and would love to go. I just found out that they changed the competition from one level of competition to three - novice, intermediate, and advanced. So, New England for example used to send sixteen teams to Florida, now they will send 48 teams, good for my daughter, scary for anyone booked into the All Stars that week. It's probably info that no one wanted to hear, but I thought I'd give a heads up. :D

:wave2: Another Pop Warner mom here, hoping to visit in December - I didn't realize the new setup, emmabelle, how cool for the girls!

I hope people realize how incredibly hard these girls and boys work for this...4 nights a week, 2 hours a night for August, 3 nights a week/2 hours a night once school is in, games every weekend, various competitions. AND Pop Warner is VERY strict in terms of grades, they have to do all this, fund raise, etc, AND keep their grades high. This is not a group of slackers or anything, and they do deserve this if they manage to get that far. Physically it is incredibly demanding, cheering is not only about "supporting the team" anymore, it's "flyers" (the girls who get thrown in the air) and acrobatics and some intense dance moves, it's pushups and situps and laps around the football field. These are good kids who are just that, kids, my daughter's group is 32 girls aged 10-13, with a head coach who keeps them in line. I just wanted to point out to those that are horrified by this that you have a good group of kids here who are working hard to get to this point, and they deserve a little understanding. :D

Now I will say that I have not been to one of these, don't the girls need a chaperone to go with them? And if that's the case, I'd say it sounds like the chaperones need to step in a little more, I know for sure I will if we get to go down! *grin*

The 4 of us,

I hear you! My daughter does work very hard and she's a flyer so that adds to my worries. She cheers for the B squad- Jr. Midgets, how about your daughter? We actually played our last playoff game in your stadium in Westford, last year (It's a small world after all) unfortunately they were eliminated which is always heartbreaking.

I wouldn't let my daughter go alone, but I image some parents do, because of work, family or financial reasons. I would think it would be a huge responsibilty to watch someone else's child for the week. I'd be a wreck by the end.

The new cheeriing setup is going to be so much better, some teams could never compete against some of the other cities and towns, so it gives everyone a fair chance at it. :D

Originally posted by emmabelle
The 4 of us,

I hear you! My daughter does work very hard and she's a flyer so that adds to my worries. She cheers for the B squad- Jr. Midgets, how about your daughter? We actually played our last playoff game in your stadium in Westford, last year (It's a small world after all) unfortunately they were eliminated which is always heartbreaking.

I wouldn't let my daughter go alone, but I image some parents do, because of work, family or financial reasons. I would think it would be a huge responsibilty to watch someone else's child for the week. I'd be a wreck by the end.

The new cheeriing setup is going to be so much better, some teams could never compete against some of the other cities and towns, so it gives everyone a fair chance at it. :D

My daughter cheers for Pee Wee Gold - Westford only has one Pee Wee team, so that narrows it down.

I did not realize that kids could go down alone, and that would explain the reactions of many here, which I found fairly upsetting (apologies to all! *grin*) - I was also told that they would not be allowed (or have time) to go to the parks, so perhaps the bad groups others have run into might be other organizations - I hate to see the broad brush used when so many of these kids work their tails off for recognition of this sort.

I don't think we'll know the dates/times of the competitions for a while, is that right?? I know that our first competition is October 23rd, but the time hasn't even been assigned yet, so I doubt we'd know about check-in/check-out for FL yet?

Even if we don't make it, I'm proud that she's been part of this and am impressed by the organization in general...so I just want to say to anyone down there when the kids are there, just keep in mind how much tough work they do, and give them a quick thumbs up! :thewave:

Unfortunately a few bad apples can taint the whole bunch. I have been down at WDW during these times and know for certain that the crowds we see in the parks are definitely Pop Warner. I have also been at the POR when they stayed there. For the most part, they are fine. But, I think it is difficult in the parks and at the resorts when chaperones don't realize how their activity affects others around them. For instance, cheering at 6:30am is not being courteous. Cheering is loud, no matter who you are. And while my DH coached hs and college for 16 years ... I woudln't appreciate being woken up to that.

Also, in the parks, often chaperones let them break into smaller groups but tell them keep together in that small group They can't be with everyone. At those times, I have noticed the language that comes out their mouths is not always pleasing...plus, they are kids. They run in and out of crowds, yell at each other, congregate in large groups where there is some horseplay, and unfortunately it tends to affect other guests. I have seen the same thing happen in the food court. They aren't held accountable to throw away their stuff and can make a horrific mess on the beverage area. But, that being said ... they are kids. And, one day, I'm sure mine will be right there.

Some comes down to the fact that chaperones have to be really on top of it and there are those, again a few, that give everyone a bad name. And, just simply the numbers make them obvious to guest resorts in many ways.

I agree they work their tails off and mostly good kids. But at WDW they do have an impact on other guests -- sometimes that can be good and other times not so good.

vjc715..do you know all the resorts they are going to be staying at??? if i am woke up at 6:30 in the morning by anyone cheering outside my window..let me tell you....i am not a morning person..:mad:

They did NOT cheer on the hotel grounds at 6:30am, did they?? :eek: Why would they do that, when so much of their score in competitions depends on how loud they are! I can't believe they'd be that disrepectful, or that the hotels would ALLOW that, I was given the impression that they would do that stuff at the sports complex!

IMO, that's something that the front desk should have stopped IMMEDIATELY, wouldn't you think?

Unfortunately a few bad apples can taint the whole bunch.

While I agree that it's the bad ones you remember, painting the whole group with that one impression is not very fair...for every bad kid, there's many more good ones who deserve as much respect as you'd want your kids to get. That's all I'm saying. A few bad apples will give a bad impression, but they do not taint the "good apples" and therefore make them bad, right? :teeth:

Children and Disney go hand in hand and should always be expected as part of any trip.

I really don't think the statements made by those about the Pop Warner participants is anything against these groups of children. I think most would applaud their efforts.

That being said, large groups of children no matter if they are A students or D students tend to be noisy and difficult to manage no matter what group they are with. Supervision of large groups is just plain difficult.

I think that planning to avoid the resorts these children will be at just makes sense. It will make the entire trip better for all. Especially after the post that the numbers may be even higher this year than in past.

I agree with Valera. I have been in a position to supervise just such groups in the past (almost 16 years) and for the most part the kids are wonderful and lots of fun. I enjoyed it then.

However, in this season of my life, I would prefer not to place myself in the position to spend my vacation time with them at the same resort. Just preference. When they are well behaved and having fun in the parks ... I enjoy watching them. They are always so full of life.

That is why I think that these boards are a wonderful tool. If you don't want to encounter them then you can change your dates or the hotel. That is better for everyone all the way around. The kids don't want cranky people around to spoil their fun, either.

cyndibelle....when I called....they told me ALL Star Resorts and POR Riverside. I never asked them to elaborate which All Star resort, as i was in a gasp to find out about POR.

I chose to change resorts after calling and finding out the info.
I agree with Valera & cjsmom5 :wave:

we were at ammusic from 8/27 to 9/3. we arrived on a thurs. after lunch. we started to notice the FOOTBALL TEAMS.........lol. it turned out some arrived a few days before us , some a few days after. i guess they had a big game that sat.morn and a few had the big game sun. morning. For the most it wasnt really bad. my dd15 and 2 friends talked to a few.......ha ha ....they seemed ok. every now and then the drink area in the food court was a real DISASTER......also the night before we arrived they said the pool was crazy!!!!!!!! i actually found that there was 1 woman, i think she was an assistant coach, or something like that, well when she GOT on the BUS, you knew that SHE ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!oh my god, i never heard ANYONE in my life so LOUD. We were all like :ok we know you all are here with the football teams....." and we noticed alot of the "people (whether they were coaches, etc) were ALWAYS SCREAMING to one of them WAY down the other end of the bus...........Then my FAVORITE was the RIDE on the BUs to the park one night-------We had 4 girls SINGING their song over and over and over and over and over.............(get it) the whole bus was ready to SCREAM..............but all in all.......we did have fun.

I am a Footall Mom and Cheerleading Mom with that said I totally get where your are coming from. Just to let everyone know that the Cheerleaders will be there the entire week starting this year.
they have broken up the divisions and there will be more kids going to Nationals this year. I myself am going in October so my wish is for football to end in November or I too will have to endore the Pop Warner thing. It's a great experience for the kids but they need to learn to be a little more respectful of the other guests in and out of the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter