• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century Room Renovations

The big thing that distinguishes CBR from Pop are the pools. CBR has pools with two water slides and more unique theming than Pop. Also possibly the dining? I am not sure if CBR has a TS restaurant. We've never stays there. For some reason I think it doesn't. I think it might offer more choices, though, that Pop (although Pop has a great food court. My family loves it!).
At this point, the pool is a major issue to make the distinction, but by what I understand they are adding so much more, including a lakeside restaraunt. So if anything I can see Pop moving up to moderate and CBR moving to Deluxe. But then again the room size are still smaller then the mods and after PoP they are moving on to the next value to give it an overhaul.

The big thing that distinguishes CBR from Pop are the pools. CBR has pools with two water slides and more unique theming than Pop. Also possibly the dining? I am not sure if CBR has a TS restaurant. We've never stays there. For some reason I think it doesn't. I think it might offer more choices, though, that Pop (although Pop has a great food court. My family loves it!).

CBR has shutters TS restaurant... We ate there and wish we didn't...

Last edited:
At this point, the pool is a major issue to make the distinction, but by what I understand they are adding so much more, including a lakeside restaraunt. So if anything I can see Pop moving up to moderate and CBR moving to Deluxe. But then again the room size are still smaller then the mods and after PoP they are moving on to the next value to give it an overhaul.

I agree, for now it's the pool. If Pop (AoA too) has the gondolas, I think this will move the price towards what we're seeing now at the moderates. I think maybe this is why Disney is supposedly doing away with the "value," "moderate," and "deluxe" labels. They couldn't exactly call Pop a moderate with its smaller rooms and less detailed pools. But if there aren't resort labels and Pop offers something more desirable (gondolas), I see higher prices in the future.

I agree, for now it's the pool. If Pop (AoA too) has the gondolas, I think this will move the price towards what we're seeing now at the moderates. I think maybe this is why Disney is supposedly doing away with the "value," "moderate," and "deluxe" labels. They couldn't exactly call Pop a moderate with its smaller rooms and less detailed pools. But if there aren't resort labels and Pop offers something more desirable (gondolas), I see higher prices in the future.
I agree, and it's really not hard to add a slide, with the theaming of the decades it would be easy to add a slinky at the hippy dippy pool and turn that into a slide.

They couldn't exactly call Pop a moderate with its smaller rooms and less detailed pools. But if there aren't resort labels and Pop offers something more desirable (gondolas), I see higher prices in the future.

If they keep making the prices higher, they're going to keep seeing lower crowds... For me, my wife, and my daughter it's costing us $4600 for an 8 night stay with the DDP in late January. That's almost 2 months pay for me.

We could always stay out in town and eat frugally but I go to WDW for the food, I love food, so we stay on resort for the dining plan. Just gonna keep track of what food would of cost this trip and pay OOP next trip if it comes down to it. Hopefully by next trip I'll have a camper so we will have other options.

Has anyone seen pictures of the King Pop rooms after/during refurbishment? I was just wondering what the table would look like in a King room. Are they still having King Bed rooms?

If they keep making the prices higher, they're going to keep seeing lower crowds... For me, my wife, and my daughter it's costing us $4600 for an 8 night stay with the DDP in late January. That's almost 2 months pay for me.

We could always stay out in town and eat frugally but I go to WDW for the food, I love food, so we stay on resort for the dining plan. Just gonna keep track of what food would of cost this trip and pay OOP next trip if it comes down to it. Hopefully by next trip I'll have a camper so we will have other options.
We also stay on site for the DDP (that and the transportation). We love food too! I've done the math for how my family eats, and we save money on the DDP. We love Pop and stay there because it's often what fits our budget. If the price goes up too much, we'll have to switch to the All Stars.

With them upgrading the size of the bed's to queens, what actually separates CBR from POP? I know the rooms in CBR are slightly larger, but there isn't enough extra space to justify the price difference to me. The whole reason we were chosing CBR over POP this trip was because I'm too large to fit in a full size bed comfortably and the wife and I did not want to have to sleep in separate beds while she shared a bed with a 10 year old that sleeps like she is having a seizure.

Difference between CBR and Pop:

Bigger rooms (260 sq ft. vs 340 sq ft.)
Ceiling fans
Multiple covered bus stops
Table Service restaurant (which after remodel there will be 2. One of which is rumored to be a Signature)
Hot tubs
Pool slides
Lusher grounds

Now, I do not list the above to say that CBR is "better" than Pop. Some of the above might mean diddly to someone else. I was just answering the question of what separates CBR from Pop.

Do you think they will "upgrade" POP to a moderate after they finish the reno?

They are moving toward getting rid of the Value, Moderate and Deluxe categories and switching to location based categories. Once this is done, Pop won't be tied to the "Value" category so they will be able to charge much more than the other "Values".

Ceiling fans
Table Service restaurant (which after remodel there will be 2. One of which is rumored to be a Signature)
Hot tubs
Pool slides
Lusher grounds

Now, I do not list the above to say that CBR is "better" than Pop. Some of the above might mean diddly to someone else. I was just answering the question of what separates CBR from Pop.

Didn't realize there was actually that many differences. All I could think was a waterslide and slightly larger rooms. Thanks for the info.

Has anyone seen pictures of the King Pop rooms after/during refurbishment? I was just wondering what the table would look like in a King room. Are they still having King Bed rooms?

There are pictures of a nearly finished King room on page 42 (post 825) of this thread. In the King rooms, the beverage center is moved over to the same wall as the bed and there is a nice size table (2 chairs fit side-by-side on the long side of it) on the same wall as the dresser. You'll be able to see it in the pictures.

until they finish upgrading All the "values" there is not knowing, for sure all Hotels not only POP will go up in price range, but a new queen bed and even the gondola wont be enough to upgrade pop to a moderate, to do that they will need to upgrade the pools and the restaurant, IMO disney is just catching up with all the offsite hotels that are cheaper and offer better beds and newer furniture, Disney values resort started to look like cheap motels next to them

until they finish upgrading All the "values" there is not knowing, for sure all Hotels not only POP will go up in price range, but a new queen bed and even the gondola wont be enough to upgrade pop to a moderate, to do that they will need to upgrade the pools and the restaurant, IMO disney is just catching up with all the offsite hotels that are cheaper and offer better beds and newer furniture, Disney values resort started to look like cheap motels next to them

I completely agree. Which is the reason they want to eliminate the current categories, so they are not tied to "Value" or "Moderate" pricing. Each resort will be it's own entity when it comes to pricing.

CBR is changing to a DVC resort.

Definitely not the whole resort, but maybe the new tower will be DVC.

Just a part, not the whole thing. Just like they have DVC for the other resorts, but still have non DVC rooms.

If the new tower is going to be DVC, you are correct the rest of the resort will remain non DVC. However, we still don't know if the tower is going to be DVC rooms or not.

Definitely not the whole resort, but maybe the new tower will be DVC.

If the new tower is going to be DVC, you are correct the rest of the resort will remain non DVC. However, we still don't know if the tower is going to be DVC rooms or not.

And wouldn't you say with checking moving to Main building that Victory Dr entrance could become CBR entrance. And tower could be an independent resort with their entrance where current one is.

With word of a boutique maybe tower hotel going in by S/D I could totally see this tower as a stand alone.

And all the fortune tellers said CSR tower was going to be DVC and it's not so we have no idea here either.

Difference between CBR and Pop:

Ceiling fans
Hot tubs
Pool slides
Lusher grounds

They are moving toward getting rid of the Value, Moderate and Deluxe categories and switching to location based categories. Once this is done, Pop won't be tied to the "Value" category so they will be able to charge much more than the other "Values".

Currently one other thing that are at the moderates that are not at the values are other activities like fishing, renting watercraft or bicycles and peddle carts. They have recently added the bicylces carts to AOA and Pop. Further indicators they intend to elevate them above the All Stars.

Meanwhile, I check in at Pop on Sunday for three nights. I used the Touring Plans fax to request a refurbished room and if that request can't be met, then I requested my usual 50s or 60s lakeview, groundfloor. So basically new room or as far away from the construction as possible. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter