• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century Opening Postponed Indefinitely

lrodk

<font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in
Could this be a sign of things to come? Walt Disney World officials announced today that they are postponing indefinitely the opening of Pop Century, the $460 million, 5,760-room resort that will showcase pop icons such as the Big Wheel and Rubik's Cube. The first phase had been scheduled to open in March.

OH Rats! I really wanted to stay in a room right next to the giant green yo-yo :rolleyes: !!! I am sorry business is down at WDW, but IMHO the Pop Century resort is a bad concept anyway- not to mention TTFW ( too tacky for words).

I thought it was a great idea! ERRR!

It can't be a good thing that Disney has invested money in this project and now has no hope for any near-term return. But think how easily the timing of Pop Century and AKL lodge could have been reversed.

Wouldn't it have been a shame if Pop Century had opened earlier in the year and AKL was not scheduled to open until the Spring and it was the one now being postponed. Even if I don't plan on staying there, AKL merits a visit, something that probably wouldn't have applied to PC.

Don't see them thinking about adding another deluxe anytime soon, and they now have a fairly cost effective way to add a lot of value capacity (by finishing and opening PC) when needed. A job in resort development may not be the best place to be right now. I can imagine a long drought in new projects as they become gun-shy about anticipating demand and take a very conservative wait until its clearly needed approach so they don't have this happen again.

Could mean there will be little need for hotel capital for awhile. Let's see where could they divert this money too. Must be somewhere that could use a few extra dollars? Maybe, even something that might stimulate demand so they can open PC one of these days. Hey, I got it maybe they could invest in the parks. What do you think.

Pretty much everyone on this board dislikes Pop Centry but we had reservations for August and we are really disappointed we will not be able to stay there. Unlike most posters we think the giant yo-yo's, Big Wheels etc. are neat and not to be taken too seriously. There must be a market for tackyness as we want to stay there. Looking forward to staying there when the resort is finally open! :(

As a person whose favorite moderate is the Caribbean Beach, I have been very leery of the Pop Century. The two are so close to each other that I would have expected a pirahna and alligator stocked moat, possibly with concertina razor wire, separating the two. There are certain features at CBR which are very nice which the value resorts don't have. Normally there have been problems with people from one resort using another's facilities, especially the pools. At least there has not been a problem of one grade of resort right next to another of a different grade. I wonder if Disney even considered this potential problem.

On a related issue, the new access road under construction from Buena Vista Drive to Pop Century has ruined a lot of the ambiance at CBR. Driving between Trinidad and the entrance one used to be able to see armadillos, turtles, rabbits and a flock of turkeys next to the road. Now all you see is a ne major road with no buffer.

Maybe they will figure out some way to convert the buildings to housing for the college program and hourly employees who have been attracted to Disney employment and who cannot really afford decent housing off property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter