pool hopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't read all of these posts but I have a related question. I can see not being able to sit by the pool even if not swimming b/c you are taking up a chair and those can be valuable on a hot day. But what about the pool bar stools? I could see wanting to get a drink out at the AKL pool bar instead of VFs and enjoy the atmosphere on a day when I showed up too early for a PS at Boma. Can you bellie up to pool bars and not be a pool hopper?

Zip-a-dee-dude-da said:
IMHO you should be able to do this if your spending $200 plus to stay at a Ugly slab of concrete like the CR.

Hey now--that's just mean. I love the CR, and don't call it ugly! :teeth: :rotfl:

It's aesthetically challenged!

<<<I don't know anything about the pool id requirements for hopping. I'd think the lifeguards would take anything.

There was a thread in the DVC forum about restaurants asking for DVC membership cards. The restaurant discount is extended to DVC members. They are under no obligation to extend that discount to non-members even if they are DVC guests staying on points.

I'm a non-member but I've rented points. I have no desire to pool hop but did use my resort ID for a restaurant discount. I was interested to read that I may not be able to count on this discount during future stays.>>>

You know...I am not sure if I ever had to "present" a DVC membership card or just used the resort card that says dvc member on it whether it was discount or pool hopping?? I think my DH, DS, and I hopped once in 10+ years??? Too much "work."

When we travel with family or friends my DH and I are with them anyway at the restuarant so never thought about the perks being for the other members of the party???

I think that resort happenings newsletter thingy you receive at check in states the policy?? Maybe the web site? I have dial up connection still and it can take f-o-r-e-v-e-r or else I would check for ya. Maybe someone else can check on the web site?

I am rarely successful with coupons or discounts cause I usually forget to use it etc. :teeth: We even joined the Rain Forest safari club years ago and I have been known to forget the b-day discount certificate. :earseek:

Now, with the DDE card offered to DVC members I swear I will remember it and save a bundle! :rotfl2:

I assumed and thought I saw it somewhere...have been wrong before ;) that guests are entitled to the same privileges as DVC members????? One thing is for sure though...things do change all the time.

wouldn't a polite,
No sorry you cant pool hop have been enough? Jeez this thread i have found shocking! Makes you scared to ask anything!
Claire.

When I was a CM, we swam in every resort pool. Spent an afternoon at the GF, FWL or the Poly. Even swam in seven seas lagoon (a frisbee went off course and landed a few metres in)! And my brother's girlfriend who is on the international program just spent last wednesday at the GF pool. Not once was I ever questioned to show resort id, etc.

I guess that this would be the same at any hotel/resort. Imagine parking at one of the Marriott's(while "saving money" and staying at Motel 6) to go use the pool. How is it any different at WDW? If you wouldn't do it elsewhere, why is it ok at WDW?

26555 said:
I didn't read all of these posts but I have a related question. I can see not being able to sit by the pool even if not swimming b/c you are taking up a chair and those can be valuable on a hot day. But what about the pool bar stools? I could see wanting to get a drink out at the AKL pool bar instead of VFs and enjoy the atmosphere on a day when I showed up too early for a PS at Boma. Can you bellie up to pool bars and not be a pool hopper?

We like to visit other resorts especially during the holiday season! When we have dining ressies we look forward to walking around that resort! I can't see why drinks at a pool bar soaking up the atmosphere could be considered inappropriate! It's a great chance to see if you ever wish to stay there, imho!

wouldn't a polite,
No sorry you cant pool hop have been enough? Jeez this thread i have found shocking! Makes you scared to ask anything!
Claire.

Actually this thread is downright civil compared to some others I've seen on this topic.

dreamflight99 said:
What about extended "family?" When we took the SSR DVC tour last summer, the associate stressed the "ease" of inclusivity when it came to extended family. They are considered DVC MEMBERS whenever staying on property using a DVC FAMILY MEMBER'S points, and fully entitled to ALL the same benefits. This is where the conversation became confusing...and a bit incoherent. How to differentiate, especially when sales-people are using this "angle" to increase membership. :confused3 It's still a decidedly "gray" area. :umbrella:

Seems to me like a "perk" the CM's were using to entice you to buy ... "extends to your family using your points". Why is your extended family any more entitled to member perks than someone who rents points from a non-family member? That wouldn't be fair. Doesn't this sound a lot like the food court CM's selling refillable mugs and telling you to bring 'em back with every visit? Any type of perk to entice the customer to buy. My take is that the the "perks" are for card-carrying members only ... but Disney doesn't enforce the rules if I have a room key that says "member" because I rented points. In the overall scheme of life, they don't care if they let me pool hop or give me a bit of a food discount ... because if the person who I rented the points from had used those points themselves, Disney would have had to give them the benefits. Just MHO.

MaryLiz

Maybe the reason the pool hopping thread keeps coming up is people who have just been to a resort that was so full they did not feel they got what they were entitled to. Or they just want to find out if things have been taken care of like the Poly pool. I feel that you get what you pay for, and if you didn't pay for that resort pool, you just do not get it! It is a good issue though because lots of posters have been to DW many times and sometimes just want to get the benefits of the resort pools and relax. I don't think I will be able to convince my family to go to the Poly until these issues are taken care of. Or maybe that pool is really too small for all of the paying guests alone, I don't know. Maybe there are not as many pool hoppers as we might think?

i have heard of people sitting at the bar and having a drink
your not in the pool swimming
i read trip reports when people check out other resorts and they sit at the bar or on the beach and hang out

This thread has run it's course. I'm going to keep to lock it now.

Please remember to keep discussions civil.

Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter