pool hopping, something I remembered

Originally posted by Zimbubba
How many DVC members pool hop on any given day? Not many, in my opinion.
I'm sure it varies a lot but there were reports from BCV when members could PH there saying some days were in excess of 100 per day. And these were the ones they could document by phone calls, check in and pool towel inquiries; the number was likely greater. Still 5 or 10 in any single day might be enough to throw the system off balance.

We don't PH either as a rule, we agree the hassle isn't worth it. But some do it to take a break from the parks during the middle of the day or similar situations. The only time we've used the perk was when we had a big family trip. My wife and I went to Ariel's for dinner and my sister, kids and her child went to BCV to PH while we were at dinner.

We don't pool hop either. If we want to use a pool other than our DVC resort we book a few days there at the end of our trip.

Dean is correct about the numbers at SAB prior to stopping pool hopping. I have a friend that worked there at the pool and as Dean stated on any given day during the summer during the time was open that in excess of 100 were visiting.

I have heard that the numbers for WLV and the Polynesian are really up too.

Time will tell.

Dukestreet:
On the other side of the coin-why book at a resort you don't really like just for the pool--when you can pool hop??
Water is water certainly but when you have a big tub of water (like the main pool at OKW), with no lifeguard and no slides--well, you just may want to pool hop. We always do, and have only been in that main pool twice since 1992.
But with the new slide and some lifeguards--that'll probably change.
So it appears that at least 2 DVC members won't be hopping around as in the past :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Originally posted by DukeStreetKing
I might be in the minority but I don't understand the attraction with pool hopping. If the pool is such a big deal, why not just book your vacation at the resort that has the pool that you like? Pool water is pool water no matter where you swim. I understand some pools are themed better than others but are they such a big deal?
I think one part of the attraction is that it gives you an chance to visit another resort for something other than just eating. It's a nice alternative to the parks. It would also be very nice to take a quick dip in the closest pool from one of the parks.

The Grand Floridian has a wonderful pool and outstanding view. It's more than just water.

Dean, I didn't realize the SSR pool was small. I do think that building a slide at OKW is an indication, my understanding is that severl people staying at OKW pool hop to pools with more kid activities available like a nice slide. Building the OKW slide may reduce the desire for kids to want to go to another pool with a slide. That's why I see it as an indication of the end of pool hopping. Interesting about the small (comparatively) SSR pool.

Your point about the numbers is one that was made earlier, there used to be 1 DVC resort, now there are 5 DVC resorts, that;s a much larger pool of potential pool hoppers invading other resorts.

My prediction is that as soon as the OKW slide is completed, pool hopping will end.

We don't pool hop. Just not our thing even though we enjoy the pools at whatever resort we are staying at. Just our preference.

The one really good thing about Disney is that they move people around quite a bit. The cross training aids in understanding more of the business and builds working relationships across departments. This is most prevalent among the leaders and managers. So I am a bit suprised when I hear a manager is unaware of policy.

Another option for those who have had a problem with DVC perks at other places on WDW property...Call MS and get help. We did on one occaision and it got resolved.

Originally posted by Desperado
Dean, I didn't realize the SSR pool was small. I do think that building a slide at OKW is an indication, my understanding is that severl people staying at OKW pool hop to pools with more kid activities available like a nice slide. Building the OKW slide may reduce the desire for kids to want to go to another pool with a slide. That's why I see it as an indication of the end of pool hopping. Interesting about the small (comparatively) SSR
As I noted previously, I don't think the slide has any correlation with PH much less a direct link. Still, the factors are there suggesting this is a doomed perk. As for size at SSR, size is always relative. IMO, the SSR pool isn't large enough for the 600 units much less the over 800 units now announced. It will be crowded most anytime most people would want to go once the resort is through phase 2, possibly even before. Now if you want to go at night in January, I doubt you'll have a problem.

Originally posted by Dean
As for size at SSR, size is always relative. IMO, the SSR pool isn't large enough for the 600 units much less the over 800 units now announced.

Is there only 1 pool at SSR? I'm wondering why they wouldn't have put in more pools like they have at OKW - smaller quiet pool areas? :confused:

Originally posted by MELSMICE
Is there only 1 pool at SSR? I'm wondering why they wouldn't have put in more pools like they have at OKW - smaller quiet pool areas? :confused:

I believe they are putting in a number of quiet pools. Two for the first 12 buildings -- one in The Paddock across the lake to the left of the pedestrian bridge and one in Congress Park facing the lake.

As I noted previously, I don't think the slide has any correlation with PH much less a direct link.
Yes, I understand and saw where you noted that earler. I dissagree.

My opinion is that the decision to end Pool Hopping due to the increased size of the DVC community has already been made and a slide is being put in at OKW to facilitate that decision and soften the news for OKW guests. With a nice slide for kids available, perhaps the desire for OKW guests to pool hop due to kids desires will decrease. All DVC resorts will then have access to a slide for kids without the need to pool hop.

However, the slide at OKW could also be to encourage greater demand for the resort which continually has greater availability than other DVC resorts as indicated by posts on this forum.
IMO, the SSR pool isn't large enough for the 600 units much less the over 800 units now announced. It will be crowded most anytime most people would want to go once the resort is through phase 2, possibly even before.
Interesting observation. I wonder why DVC would install a theme pool that was too small in a brand new resort?

Originally posted by Desperado
...I wonder why DVC would install a theme pool that was too small in a brand new resort?

The SSR themed pool had to fit in the space of the old amphitheater at DI so that may have had something to do with it. They may also have decided to encourage greater use of the quiet pools in an attempt to balance utilization.

Originally posted by DisneyMomOK
When we joined 12 years ago, it seemed that (even though it might not be in the documents we received) our Guide kept pushing PH as a wonderful benefit; it was never stated as being a "limited, possibly not forever" benefit. However, the great golf program, which disappeared a couple of years later, was represented as a possibly short-lived perk, but PH was not.

Of course, that was a dozen years ago and before my children became teen-agers, so I could be completely and totally wrong.
If I am not, though, could that be the reason they have not revoked the privilege: too many people thought it was forever their right? I know that if they ever tried to change the requirement on length of stay, I would bring up the date and names of the two Disney Guides that promised that would be part of the DVC program until 2042. (Even urged us to "go to the beach" on the high weekend nights.)

Sharon
A general rule of timeshare is "if it's not in the contract" it can and likely will change, usually not for the better. Did you know the guides early on promised buyers "a substantually equivilent replacement" for the park passes that expired in 1999?

Does someone have a link or a reference to the current policy on PH'ing? I'd like to take a swim at the Poly during our MK days, and I want to be able to gently illuminate any dim CM's.

...... IMO, it won't be too many years before DVC resorts/rooms out number the non DVC deluxe resorts. If Eagle Pines is ever built or the CR Garden Wings are razed and DVC builds there, we'll probably be near that figure. To allow a group that size to continue to PH would be a nitemare to the other resorts. Lets face it....we aren't trying to PH to the value resorts, PORS & CBR are hardly worth the trip. SAB and AK are already out. WL already has VWL increasing their load. The remaining pools would never be able to handle the load. I'd wager PH is gone in 12-18 months.
Hmmm..... maybe a Poll is in order.

Originally posted by CVW
Does someone have a link or a reference to the current policy on PH'ing? I'd like to take a swim at the Poly during our MK days, and I want to be able to gently illuminate any dim CM's.
Here is the current info from the website. If I were you, I'd go to Just For Members/members perks and print out the entire page. It lists most of the discounts and the like. That way if you use any discounts, etc, you have documentation if you find an uninformed CM.
Water Activities

Pool-Hopping Information for 2004
You and any Guests staying with you at Disney's Old Key West Resort, Disney's BoardWalk Villas, The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, and Disney's Beach Club Villas are permitted to use other Disney Vacation Club and Walt Disney World® Resort hotel pools (in addition to the resort hotel at which you are staying) if the resort hotel pools are not at capacity. If the pool you are visiting reaches capacity, you may be asked to leave in order to accommodate Guests of that resort hotel. Please check with a Host/Hostess at the Front Desk of the resort hotel you wish to visit to find out about pool-access availability. You must present your Walt Disney World® Resort ID card with your "DVC Member" designation on it to use the other pools. This offer is not available at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge and Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts.

Resort hotel pools may become unavailable from time to time due to capacity limitations. Due to the high occupancy that is expected, Disney Vacation Club Members may not "pool hop" during the following dates*:

April 3 - 11, 2004

May 28 - 31, 2004

June 28 - July 4, 2004

November 22 - 28, 2004

December 18, 2004 - January 2, 2005

*Other restricted dates may be added based on projected pool capacity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter