'Pool hopping privilege' for DVCers

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
1- are these ONLY for pre-2016 owners and 2- With so many restrictions I read (no hopping at CR, BC and some others) on where you actually CAN 'hop' it is even worth running around in your shorts to go do it; anyone have a list of pools that actually make it?

What restrictions are you referring to at the CR? BLT guests can use the CR pools no problem. It is a very short walk. CR guests are not supposed to use the BLT pool, but if you're a CR guest you wouldn't want to since you have the better pools already. All I've heard is that if you're staying at the BW you can't hop to Stormalong Bay, which kills the BW from being a resort we'd be interested in buying. We would walk there despite it being a good hike if we could, but it's not an option.

What restrictions are you referring to at the CR? BLT guests can use the CR pools no problem. It is a very short walk. CR guests are not supposed to use the BLT pool, but if you're a CR guest you wouldn't want to since you have the better pools already. All I've heard is that if you're staying at the BW you can't hop to Stormalong Bay, which kills the BW from being a resort we'd be interested in buying. We would walk there despite it being a good hike if we could, but it's not an option.
I refer to 'hopping' to another resort's pool which a member is NOT staying at; not one connected (BLT-CR etc). From what I read there were many pools that were restricted from the hopper policy - and it is also unclear if this refers to pre-2016 resale owners

Pool Hopping along with access to the TOTWL and DVC Rentals are available to ALL DVC members regardless of direct/resale.

I refer to 'hopping' to another resort's pool which a member is NOT staying at; not one connected (BLT-CR etc). From what I read there were many pools that were restricted from the hopper policy - and it is also unclear if this refers to pre-2016 resale owners
You pointed out "no hopping at CR..." but you can hop to the CR pool. Just not to the BLT pool. This should help...
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/recreation-relaxation/pools/
Complimentary alternative pool use (pool hopping) is not considered a Membership Extra. This benefit is offered to all Disney Vacation Club Members, regardless of how they purchased.

Last edited:
DVC pools are paid for with dues, so they can't do much there. Hopping to non-DVC pools (where permitted) costs them basically nothing for the 5 people per year who bother.

Nothing paid with dues can be a "Membership Extra."

Restrictions on pool-hopping for DVC are universal, regardless of purchase method, and are based on factors other than direct/resale - probably demand/capacity.

Last edited:
No even direct purchased members can NOT hop to BLT, Poly, WL (CCV or BRV) AK (Jambo or Kadani), BC/YC pools. So you can hop to SSR, OKW, VGF or any Disney hotel pool, all hopping is crowd controlled, such that if it is full No Hopping. Plus there are black out dates for hopping as well.

"Know Before You Go
View details about capacity limits, blockout dates, excluded pools and more.

Capacity Limitations

If the pool you are visiting reaches capacity, you may be asked to leave in order to accommodate Guests of that Resort hotel. Please check with a host or hostess at the front desk of the Resort you wish to visit before you go to find out about pool-access availability.

Blockout Dates

Resort hotel pools may become unavailable from time to time due to capacity limitations. Due to the high occupancy that is expected, you and your overnight guests may not pool hop during the following dates:

• May 26, 2017 through May 29, 2017
  • July 2, 2017 through July 8, 2017
  • September 1, 2017 through September 4, 2017
  • November 20, 2017 through November 25, 2017
  • December 22, 2017 through January 2, 2018
As a reminder, please be mindful of the limited number of pool chairs available, and refrain from leaving towels or personal items on unoccupied pool chairs.

Important Information

• Pool hopping is not available at the following pools—with no exceptions to this policy:
    • Bay Cove Pool at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
    • Uzima Pool and Samawati Springs Pool at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
    • Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht Club Resort and Disney's Beach Club Resorts
    • The leisure pool at Disney's Beach Club Villas
    • The Lava Pool and leisure pool at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
    • The Copper Creek Springs Pool at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
    • The pools at Disney's Art of Animation Resort
  • Other restricted dates than those listed above may be added based on projected pool capacity or maintenance needs.
  • Alternative pool use is subject to change or discontinuation at the sole discretion of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.
  • Complimentary alternative pool use (pool hopping) is not considered a Membership Extra. This benefit is offered to all Disney Vacation Club Members, regardless of how they purchased."

"Know Before You Go
View details about capacity limits, blockout dates, excluded pools and more.

Capacity Limitations

If the pool you are visiting reaches capacity, you may be asked to leave in order to accommodate Guests of that Resort hotel. Please check with a host or hostess at the front desk of the Resort you wish to visit before you go to find out about pool-access availability.

Blockout Dates

Resort hotel pools may become unavailable from time to time due to capacity limitations. Due to the high occupancy that is expected, you and your overnight guests may not pool hop during the following dates:

• May 26, 2017 through May 29, 2017
  • July 2, 2017 through July 8, 2017
  • September 1, 2017 through September 4, 2017
  • November 20, 2017 through November 25, 2017
  • December 22, 2017 through January 2, 2018
As a reminder, please be mindful of the limited number of pool chairs available, and refrain from leaving towels or personal items on unoccupied pool chairs.

Important Information

• Pool hopping is not available at the following pools—with no exceptions to this policy:
    • Bay Cove Pool at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
    • Uzima Pool and Samawati Springs Pool at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
    • Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht Club Resort and Disney's Beach Club Resorts
    • The leisure pool at Disney's Beach Club Villas
    • The Lava Pool and leisure pool at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
    • The Copper Creek Springs Pool at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
    • The pools at Disney's Art of Animation Resort
  • Other restricted dates than those listed above may be added based on projected pool capacity or maintenance needs.
  • Alternative pool use is subject to change or discontinuation at the sole discretion of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.
  • Complimentary alternative pool use (pool hopping) is not considered a Membership Extra. This benefit is offered to all Disney Vacation Club Members, regardless of how they purchased."
Imagine you drag yourselves over to another resort pool there with the family, swimshorts, changing, grandma etc and "you may be asked to leave"?? Imagine the embarrassment and inconvenience? : ( Definately NOT cool). On top of that, the list above basically covers EVERY pool I would want to 'hop to' anyhow! For example, lets say we are staying at BRV @ WL and we want to pool hop. WHERE could we go that would actually be worth it? As I understand it (am I wrong?) we could NOT 'hop' over to any monorail pool nearby - nor could we even take the long trip over to Stormalong Bay, correct?

No even direct purchased members can NOT hop to BLT, Poly, WL (CCV or BRV) AK (Jambo or Kadani), BC/YC pools. So you can hop to SSR, OKW, VGF or any Disney hotel pool, all hopping is crowd controlled, such that if it is full No Hopping. Plus there are black out dates for hopping as well.
Can you IMAGINE 'hopping' from BRV@WL to Saratoga for example? I believe that is quite a long ride... If you could hop from BRV to the CR pool however, then THAT would be a much shorter trip.

Last edited:
Imagine you drag yourselves over to another resort pool there with the family, swimshorts, changing, grandma etc and "you may be asked to leave"?? Imagine the embarrassment and inconvenience? : ( Definately NOT cool). On top of that, the list above basically covers EVERY pool I would want to 'hop to' anyhow! For example, lets say we are staying at BRV @ WL and we want to pool hop. WHERE could we go that would actually be worth it? As I understand it (am I wrong?) we could NOT 'hop' over to any monorail pool nearby - nor could we even take the long trip over to Stormalong Bay, correct?
You can hop to the GF and CR.

It's a "perk" where your mileage may vary. We've done it once and that was just tacked on to a visit over to OKW to eat. I don't know that I'd ever do it if I didn't have a car.

GF/VGF and CR pools are still available for hopping on the monorail. Just not BLT or either pool at Poly.

When our kids were very young, we would go to the Port Orleans pool, the "dragon" slide was just right for their size then. In the early days you could go to Storm along bay pool, that was before BCV opened.

So much hate for pool hopping.

Few years ago during an extended stay at SSR, we hopped over to POFQ. Another trip we hopped to OKW.

Don't really know why people get so worked up about it.

It's a "perk" where your mileage may vary. We've done it once and that was just tacked on to a visit over to OKW to eat. I don't know that I'd ever do it if I didn't have a car.

GF/VGF and CR pools are still available for hopping on the monorail. Just not BLT or either pool at Poly.
CR is available? it says no for the Bay Cove Pool at CR, is there more than one, or is Bay Cove the Pool for BLT only? What if a member is staying at a Disney resort that is NOT a DVC property and staying on cash (for example at Coranado)? Are we STILL allowed to 'hop' around? and how many people are allowed on a single members card (only 1 name on the card, but 6 people)?

CR is available? it says no for the Bay Cove Pool at CR, is there more than one, or is Bay Cove the Pool for BLT only? What if a member is staying at a Disney resort that is NOT a DVC property and staying on cash (for example at Coranado)? Are we STILL allowed to 'hop' around? and how many people are allowed on a single members card (only 1 name on the card, but 6 people)?

It says no hopping to Bay Cove at Bay Lake Tower. The two other pools at CR are open for hopping.

Here's the rest of the information - it's located on the member website under Member Benefits & More. It indicates you must be staying on your membership but doesn't restrict that to a DVC resort. It would exclude cash stays though.

"How it Works
Swim, slide, splash, play and lounge—with several unique pool options to suit your style.

When staying on your Membership at any Disney Vacation Club Resort at Walt Disney World Resort or at Disney's Vero Beach Resort, you and any Guests staying with you are permitted to take advantage of complimentary alternative pool use, which provides access to:

• The pool or pools at the Disney Vacation Club Resort where you are staying
  • Select pools at Disney Vacation Club Resorts
  • Select pools at Walt Disney World Resort hotels
Note: Capacity limits and blockout dates apply. To find out about pool-access availability, please check with a host or hostess at the front desk of the Resort you wish to visit.

You must present your MagicBand or valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card to use the other Resort hotel pools."

So much hate for pool hopping.

Few years ago during an extended stay at SSR, we hopped over to POFQ. Another trip we hopped to OKW.

Don't really know why people get so worked up about it.

Even at the resort we're staying at I don't like to traipse a long distance for a pool. If one loves pool time then they're going to use it more. Don't think that qualifies as getting all worked up over it though. Just my choice for my tolerance.

It says no hopping to Bay Cove at Bay Lake Tower. The two other pools at CR are open for hopping.

Here's the rest of the information - it's located on the member website under Member Benefits & More. It indicates you must be staying on your membership but doesn't restrict that to a DVC resort. It would exclude cash stays though.

"How it Works
Swim, slide, splash, play and lounge—with several unique pool options to suit your style.

When staying on your Membership at any Disney Vacation Club Resort at Walt Disney World Resort or at Disney's Vero Beach Resort, you and any Guests staying with you are permitted to take advantage of complimentary alternative pool use, which provides access to:

• The pool or pools at the Disney Vacation Club Resort where you are staying
  • Select pools at Disney Vacation Club Resorts
  • Select pools at Walt Disney World Resort hotels
Note: Capacity limits and blockout dates apply. To find out about pool-access availability, please check with a host or hostess at the front desk of the Resort you wish to visit.

You must present your MagicBand or valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card to use the other Resort hotel pools."
Thks Cat, so thats a no since it will be cash even tho I'm a member. I wonder what happens tho if you are a member and you RENT points...

Thks Cat, so thats a no since it will be cash even tho I'm a member. I wonder what happens tho if you are a member and you RENT points...

The way I interpret it, since it says staying on your membership, would be that it also isn't available then either.

On top of that, the list above basically covers EVERY pool I would want to 'hop to' anyhow!

That's kind of the point. Those pools need to be able to handle the guests at their own resorts. Poly is already People Soup a lot of the time; the two pools there are not really enough for that resort as it is. BC/YC, even though Stormalong is pretty big, can also get it to capacity without help. WL got put on while the VWL pool was torn up, and I suspect it will never return to the permitted list even with the new pool open, as overall excess capacity vs. CCV/VWL/WL proper is not immense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter