Pooh sized depression about upcoming trip

Just read this thread and so inspired to go and have a good time. Some really good advice by all!! Whoo Hooo!

I'm a solid size 22 and had no issues riding anything I wanted. My biggest fear was not being able to fit on the RNR, but I did! WDW is definitely size-friendly so go and enjoy yourself!

Um, I am a supersized woman at size 32/34 and 390 lb. I ease very worries about the trip when we went in September and it was needless. There were tons of other bbw women there...tons!! And the O LY ride I had an issue with was Kallie Ricer Rapids but the CM knew just what I needed to do to get the belt latched and it was qyuick and painless and we had a great time. I was told to avoid Space Mountain at my size so I did. I guess it can be a little snug for someone as big as me, but I am a pretty large woman.

I've been so excited about my family's trip and have been planning everything for months. Suddenly, now I am feeling miserable because I wanted to lose weight for this trip but have had a hard time as I was just recently diagnosed with a thyroid disease that makes you gain weight, almost just by looking at food, LOL. I am taking meds but they have to start me out slow, so no weight loss yet. I feel like everyone will be looking at me, as I do resemble pooh bear, with a big round belly. And now I'm worried that I won't be comfortable on the rides. My DH is pooh sized too, but I feel like I will be an embarrassment. I should be happy, I have been to Disney many times, but this is the first trip with my DS 5, and my DD 12, who hasn't been there since she was 4. Help, any words of encouragement are welcome :sad:

Being a Pooh-sized guy myself, I can feel your pain. I was super worried about my trip that I just got back from about 3 days ago. However, I found that I had nothing to worry about (for the most part). Disney is super fat-friendly! In fact, the only ride at Disney that I didn't fit on was at DisneyQuest when I tried to ride CyberSpace Mountain. And even that had more to do with my height than my weight. They have this pin that has to click into notches on the seat, but the harness was hitting my shoulders to hard and wouldn't go down any further! :( However, everything else worked out just fine!

I would give you a suggestion.... Avoid Space Mountain. The back literally only comes up to your lower back, the seat is tiny (even though I did fit), and it flies around tight curves IN THE DARK! By the time I got off of it, my back was killing me from being wrenched back and fourth and left and right in the dark. Other than that.... ENJOY! Your trip will be great, I'm sure! :)

I am still here and I am pooh sized too. Mostly 2 or 3 x. Only issue I had was at the pool with the old cackling ladies whom I said to myself I would rather be pooh sized then wrinkly and sagging how they were. I went on space mtn no issues. More kids would say mommy or daddy she has red hair and normally kids are the first to point out how heavy someone is.

I'm sorry you are feeling this way. Just forget about your weight and enjoy Disney. Worry about the weight after and don't let it ruin your vacation.
I was just recently diagnosed with hoshimotos hypothyroidism. It sucks and though I'm luckily not struggling with weight issues as one of my symptoms, I have almost every other symptom (eg extremely tired, dazed, memory fog, infertility, cold, swelling of joints). It sucks and though my tsh levels are under control, I still have these symptoms.
I would look into the paleo diet and its effects on thyroid. Google it. Also, the wheat belly. I am trying paleo as its had such in believable results with hypothyroidism. Look into it. Its very strict but something I feel anyone with this disease should try for at least 30 days. Of course I've only started it 10 days ago with a few cheat meals and only have 20 days before our vacation.

I think it is wonderful how supportive and positive this thread is. We went to WDW in 2009 and I was quite supersized at that time. We are returning next August and I am only about 20 pounds lighter than last time. We had no issues whatsoever and I concur that WDW is super size friendly. Great thread - thanks!

I have always been Pooh sized when I went to Disney World, and I have been there 20 times! I am smaller now than I have been in many years, thanks to adjusted medications and a Lap Band, but I will never be tiny. I brought my 3x bathing suit, and even went in the pools. So next trip the clothes will be smaller, but I am not a Roller Coaster person anyway, so doubt I will do anything different. Go, and enjoy... a PP is right, who remembers what anyone else looked like? Oh, except for the people in the Goofy hats, they always crack me up!:lmao:

Don't anyone take this the wrong way, but it seems that 90% of people at DW are obese. OP, don't worry about fitting in and good luck with the medical treatment.

Think future one year....Will you be happier if you took your kids to WDW...esp. the 5 year old which is probably the ideal time for a first trip as they "get it" but still think it is all magical...or would you be happier that you didn't go because you didn't like your weightgain due to a medical condition.
Think of the joy on the 5 year olds face and how the 12yr old will act like a kid again and not the annoying pre-teen that he/she is getting to be.

OP here, just wanted to say thanks again for all the kind words. Bopper, you are right, memories are more important that waiting for the "right time" to go. I don't know how long it will take for my meds to start helping my condition, and I know I will fit on all the rides, so now is the time!!:yay: Just 3 weeks to go!!!!!

Thank you for starting this thread katsmeow07. I have been going to WDW since 1992. My weight goes up and down due to my medication and sometimes the inability to exercise. I am now at my highest weight and was starting to feel insecure about it. I am very thankful I have a DH that loves me at any weight. I also have a lot of faith and know that God loves me too. and with all the times I have been there and was pooh sized you wouldn't think I would feel that way. So thank you for the thread and all the posts I feel better:).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter