Pooh sized depression about upcoming trip

katsmeow07

Earning My Ears
I've been so excited about my family's trip and have been planning everything for months. Suddenly, now I am feeling miserable because I wanted to lose weight for this trip but have had a hard time as I was just recently diagnosed with a thyroid disease that makes you gain weight, almost just by looking at food, LOL. I am taking meds but they have to start me out slow, so no weight loss yet. I feel like everyone will be looking at me, as I do resemble pooh bear, with a big round belly. And now I'm worried that I won't be comfortable on the rides. My DH is pooh sized too, but I feel like I will be an embarrassment. I should be happy, I have been to Disney many times, but this is the first trip with my DS 5, and my DD 12, who hasn't been there since she was 4. Help, any words of encouragement are welcome :sad:

The thread referenced is a great resource. I suggest body glide, I use it on my feet before I put on socks. I have used this on eleven trips and never gotten a blister. Also get Monistat chafe creme. It will sooth any spots that have rubbed and also prevents rubbing.

I suggest starting to walk right now, gradually increase your distance to get your stamina up. Take breaks, sit down and people watch, take in a show, go back to the resort and rest. Most of all have fun.

I am super pooh sized and never feel as comfortable to be myself as I do at WDW. You are there with thousands of people you have a common bond with... A love for Disney so enjoy it. Remember you will not see these people again so who cared what they think!!

I've been so excited about my family's trip and have been planning everything for months. Suddenly, now I am feeling miserable because I wanted to lose weight for this trip but have had a hard time as I was just recently diagnosed with a thyroid disease that makes you gain weight, almost just by looking at food, LOL. I am taking meds but they have to start me out slow, so no weight loss yet. I feel like everyone will be looking at me, as I do resemble pooh bear, with a big round belly. And now I'm worried that I won't be comfortable on the rides. My DH is pooh sized too, but I feel like I will be an embarrassment. I should be happy, I have been to Disney many times, but this is the first trip with my DS 5, and my DD 12, who hasn't been there since she was 4. Help, any words of encouragement are welcome :sad:

I've had a lot of the same anxieties, but I've decided to look at it this way: I am not making this trip for 'everyone', and I don't care what 'everyone' thinks. I know that my DS6 and my DH think I'm awesome, and they want to spend time with me and have fun at the happiest place on earth. Truth be told, this essay really turned the lightbulb on for me when I read it a few days ago (it's specifically about picture taking, but there's a larger message to it, I think):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allison-tate/mom-pictures-with-kids_b_1926073.html

Bottom line: go with the determination to have fun with your family, who love you and want to enjoy this time with you, no matter your size. You and DH aren't Pooh Size Parents to them--you're just Mom and Dad! :)

We are going in 2 weeks and I have some anxiety too. This is the biggest i've been. I've read over and over that most have no issues, but still, I worry.

I think that it just is what it is and If I don't fit, I'll get up and get out and of there and move on. Disney is a happy place. I must remember that and keep on trying.

We can do this!!!!

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. And, yes, we CAN and WILL do this, and have fun!! As long as I avoid mirrors at the parks, I should be ok, just hate reminding myself what I currently look like. You're right, my kids and hubby adore me and no one else really matters. I just hope I don't run into some snickering idiot that will bring my day crashing down. It's hard to ignore jerky people. I just got to remember, life is too short, live for now!:love:

i know your pain; i was diagnosed with a thyroid disease in 2008 (about a year after symptoms started). 75 lbs later, i am still struggling with weight loss. not to be negative, but i wouldn't expect the medication to help you lose weight. it will help regulate your thyroid, which should prevent you from gaining weight so easily. even working out 5 days a week and eating healthy doesn't even yield a 5 lb a month weight loss for me (and it's been awhile since i had that regimen). however, it can be done, and you can do it! :cheer2:

as for trying to enjoy disney while being pooh sized? easy! you're at disney, and i've heard it's impossible not to be happy! ;) seriously though, other posters are right. it's always possible that you won't fit comfortably in a ride (i had that problem before i was pooh sized since i'm pretty tall). but from what i have read on here, you really shouldn't have a problem. good luck and enjoy your trip!!!! :jumping1:

I, too, understand what you are feeling. For over 13 years, I was the same small size. I have always worked out and ate right, so I never had a problem maintaining my weight. Then one year ago, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Through surgery and radiation (and the fatigue that came with it), my work outs shortened and lightened, but other than a couple of pounds, I was still fine. Then came the medications! I was put on tamoxifen, which notoriously causes weight gain (they even call your growing waistline "tamo tummy" because that is where the most weight accumulates). And since my cancer was fed by estrogen, my body was forced into early menopause with other medications (I was 40 years old), which also adds to the weight gain. I have monthly abdominal injections and every 6 months have a 2 hour infusion of meds to keep the cancer from returning- and of course a side effect of every med is weight gain! So now I am like a runaway freight train with my weight! No matter how much I work out or diet, the weight just keeps piling on. Just be thankful for the love and support of your husband- and consider yourself very blessed. During this last year for me, my husband decided that it wasn't "fun" to live with a wife battling cancer and two children, so he left us. So, I am cheering myself and my kids up with a trip to WDW in December! I may have to wear stretchy pants (lol), but I plan on enjoying every minute of this trip-even with my considerable muffin top! :thumbsup2

I understand how you are feeling. I look at our past trips and I am in very few pictures because I was ashamed of my weight. I wanted so bad to drop the weight before this trip but we are 19 days away and I have only lost 5lbs. I am so depressed about it. I don't want to buy new clothes for the trip but I have too because my old ones are worn out. I just hate going in to buy that size again when I was so hopeful I would be buying single digit sizes. I have changed my eating, I walk everyday and still nothing is working:(

@Emcalma, I first want to say congratulations for beating cancer!!! :yay: My mother in law is a breast cancer survivor as well, and I know how exhausting the whole process is. I can't believe your husband left you at such a time of necessity, but to me it seems you are better off without him. Mine is supportive, but I feel like I embarrass him as well as myself. Some days I'm ok with myself, and some days I cry thinking about the upcoming trip. When are you going to be there, I would love to give you a huge hug! Our trip is 11/27-12/6. It sucks when the reason really is medical, like in our cases. Keep your head up, you are a survivor!! You've been given a second chance, enjoy your trip whole heartedly and don't let anything stand in your way.
@jamala, I hear you about the try and lose before going. We are going in like 5 weeks and I keep doing the "I will lose 20lbs before we go, now it's down to maybe 15 if I'm lucky." What will actually end up happening is I will probably gain weight getting depressed about not losing weight. A very vicious cycle. But I am going, darn it, and I am going to force myself to have a great time. Thank you for sharing, and the great support. XOXOXO:love:

katsmeow, we arrive on 12/13, so we miss each other by a week! Thank you for your kind words and I assure you that I WILL have a fantastic time! I will be thinking of you during your trip....have an awesome vacation! :hug:

:) At 5'4" and 224#, I am perfectly pooh-sized. About 12 years ago I lost 68 pounds and looked much healthier. But I was miserable on the inside--the mental fortitude that it took to maintain the constant -Thought of Self-was too much for me, so alas I put the weight back on. Now obviously I need to loose weight for health but I can do it at a pace that works for me. I too have a thyroid condition.

So I tell folks/patients that I work very hard to look the way I do--and I always say it with a smile. I was built for comfort not speed. I lecture no one on diet.

I have decided to stick with wearing comfy cute dresses to WDW this next week when we go.

I walk at our gym as much as possible and DH teases me (he looks like Pooh too) about practicing to step up on the buses. It used to scare the h**l out of me to step up onto the buses--but with frequent walks it is much easier.

Do you remember other WDW guests and what they were wearing from your last trip? I don't. That is what I tell myself...especially when I am at the pool.

Do you really think that people will remember what others wore or looked like during their trip to the World?
and if they do, then they have missed out on the real memories!

Be proud of who you are and who cares what other's think!
A smile on your face is much better than what you are wearing!:goodvibes

lylone said:
Do you really think that people will remember what others wore or looked like during their trip to the World?
and if they do, then they have missed out on the real memories!

Be proud of who you are and who cares what other's think!
A smile on your face is much better than what you are wearing!:goodvibes

(Unfortunately) We Americans are so large now that no one will notice. Unless you walk down Main St in daisy dukes...I doubt anyone will take a 2nd glance

I was heavier than I had ever been on our last trip (well except now I am heavier as I just had twins 6 weeks ago)...I just let go and enjoyed myself...and guess what? A CM slipped me his phone number LOL

Do not be concerned about what other people think. Quite frankly, WDW is filled with extremely overweight people; more than I have ever seen in one place. No one will give you a second glance. Have a good time and stop worrying.

Treat yourself to some comfy sneakers, a few new outfits and enjoy your family! Start walking now to get ready. You will have a ball!

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. And, yes, we CAN and WILL do this, and have fun!! As long as I avoid mirrors at the parks, I should be ok, just hate reminding myself what I currently look like. You're right, my kids and hubby adore me and no one else really matters. I just hope I don't run into some snickering idiot that will bring my day crashing down. It's hard to ignore jerky people. I just got to remember, life is too short, live for now!:love:

I can't imagine anyone at the World acting like that - no jerks allowed in the World!! ;)

I'm not pooh-sized now but I have been. I also battle a thyroid issue that affected my ability to lose weight for years before finally getting it under control. Going into this trip I was heavier than I've been in years & not at ALL happy with myself. But I decided I was giving myself time off for good behavior while on vacation- no stressing over how others perceive me, no worrying over every thing I put into my mouth. (I had spent months before the trip walking every day & watching my calorie intake to condition my leg muscles & try to trim as much as possible.) I focused on the JOY and my DD who hasn't been there since she was 4 & is essentially seeing all the magic for the first time all over again.

And you know what? I had a better time than I EVER remember having! (And I've got about 45 trips under my belt!) I didn't stress, didn't deny myself treats & stopped worrying about me.

So I was shocked when my clothes fit better at the end of our trip than they did at the beginning. I LOST 5 pounds in those 6 days from all the walking, despite all the junk I indulged in. We stayed well-hydrated so it wasn't water-weight loss & it actually helped kick-start my dedication to losing the rest once I got home.

Go, have fun & enjoy making lifelong memories with your beautiful family!!! pixiedust:

I weighed 220# on our last trip and still had a blast. I'm 5"5 inches and wear a size 18. I didn't have trouble at all.

One thing I do want to suggest is getting started with a good walking program. I have each time we've gone and I can't tell you how much it helps!

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!