Polynesian

I have always wanted to stay at the Poly! To me it is iconic Disney. I've been going to Disney ever since I was a kid (my grandparents were snow birds so we'd go visit them every other year). We had an opportunity to stay there last year and ultimately opted for the Beach Club due to price. We really enjoyed the Beach Club and it's location. As we were beginning to plan our 2020 trip we once again had an opportunity to stay at the Poly but once again we decided against it. We aren't sure how much time we will spend at MK and like that we can walk to both EPCOT and HS from BC. I've also heard a few stories from people who stayed at the Poly and said they were disappointed. That being said, the Poly is still on my list and one day we will stay there!

We had been planning to hit all of the deluxe resorts we haven't yet stayed at by the end of this year. We originally planned to do the Poly in December so we spent some time checking it out last trip beyond the main building which we've been to many times. We finally decided to take it off the list entirely. We don't mind going outside to the outer buildings - we do that at GF and we're fine with that but the layout of the grounds and the buildings we found awkward and poorly done. We got APs this year with the intent of going at least 4 times (plus Christmas holidays in 2018) and treating each trip as part theme park/part resort trips so pool and grounds are very important to us. We took a look at the Poly pool and were significantly less than impressed - it's small, shallow and there doesn't seem to be a lot of thought into the surroundings. We have always found the main building a bit busy and noisy and chaotic and were really unimpressed with the shops and their offerings, especially for snacks. The buildings themselves have narrow hallways, low ceilings and are quite dark; the rooms themselves might be nice, but I found the approach to them very offputting. If the price was on par with WL instead of GF we might be more inclined to try it but we feel it's really overpriced and overhyped. We were actually much more impressed with WL and will probably opt to stay there again. This December we'll probably do GF again instead. But - chacun à son goût.
That’s funny you said Wilderness Lodge because we actually sold our points there to buy Poly. I never had a good view out of any of the rooms in WL, but Poly is amazing. I love all the Bay Lake resorts, maybe because that’s where it all started. Very nostalgic for me personally. Also, it is a very busy place during the day, but very beautiful and peaceful at night.

For me its 50/50. I keep going back for some reason, even though every time I go, I say Ill never go back. I LOVE the theme. The rooms are amazing. The restaurants are great, Dinner show is wonderful. Location cant be beat. I HATE the crowds. Its so bad that that one thing washes away most of the good. If I could be the only one staying there then it would be the most perfect resort in the word! The 2 Ps are the most annoying. Pool and Parking.

While I seldom see anyone post how much their package costs on many boards, we booked poly for middle of June through *** 6 nights, ph, Dp, with one bonus ie water park for $6400. We have three kids and they really limit your options at WDW. Last year we stayed in cars suite @AOA and it wasn’t that much cheaper. This year the cheapest room was cb, but with ph and Dp it was only about $750 less. That’s a chunk of change no doubt but having never been to the poly ever, and knowing the logistical headache of staying at cb (taking a bus to bus seems awful) I thought it was worth it. I will say at AOA we still had to walk a good ways from our building to the main building uncovered in the rain. We really didn’t care.

Last edited:

Just curious, what does this mean?

Not my post, but I think it means taking a bus from your building to the main lobby to transfer to another bus to your destination. We did that at Saratoga Springs and Old Key West. Waiting for a bus near our building, stopping at every building, and finally getting to the main lobby where we changed busses to go to a park. Very time consuming and frustrating with small children along.

We’re staying at the Poly for the first time this September after 11 years of staying at the BWV and can’t wait. We’ve always wanted to stay there but love the BWV a lot. Plus we could book 11 months out instead of seven. Prior to staying exclusively at the BW we had stayed at the Caribbean Beach, Corandao, Port Orleans Riverside and Pop Century (got a $55 p/night deal when it first opened!). As has been mentioned in many previous posts, to each there own. Personally I would never stay at the Coranado (didn’t feel like I was at WDW but at a convention center) or Pop Century (small rooms, long walks and awful food choices) again but I read a lot of positive reviews about both. So until you stay at a resort you’ll never know what your preference is!!!

Not my post, but I think it means taking a bus from your building to the main lobby to transfer to another bus to your destination. We did that at Saratoga Springs and Old Key West. Waiting for a bus near our building, stopping at every building, and finally getting to the main lobby where we changed busses to go to a park.

That's not how it works at Caribbean Beach which is why I was asking. And actually that's not how it works at OKW or Sarasota Springs. Well unless you're staying in one of the Tree Houses then that's the only time you have to transfer buses.

Last edited:
Poly had been on our radar for a few visits before we finally booked it. We stayed DVC not regular room and really liked our stay. We felt it lived up to the hype. Only thing we didn't love was being in the separate buildings when it rained. And unfortunately it rained a lot and each day we were there. Of course once we were at YC with the interior corridors it stopped raining. That was our only negative at Poly though and would gladly stay there again!

That's not how it works at Caribbean Beach which is why I was asking. And actually that's not how it works at OKW or Sarasota Springs. Well unless you're staying in one of the Tree Houses then that's the only time you have to transfer buses.
Good to know, it’s been a while since we stayed at these resorts. I do remember having to board a bus at Saratoga Springs to get to the main pool, and waiting for our stop at the end of the line with two small children. It was anything but magical.

The big room was a plus, but that was the only part I liked.

For me it makes the hotel feel cheap. I think a hotel should be in one building where you don't have to worry about the elements getting to your room. Especially in Florida where it can get really hot and have thunderstorms often.

Most hotels in Disney have an outside aspect, Grand Floridian included. Saying that alone makes it feel like a motel is a huge exaggeration if you just look around as you walk, it’s clearly much nicer than a motel.

For the record, I stayed at the Ploy last summer and it’s 100% my favorite resort. It’s a vacation resort, you aren’t slapped in the face by Disney every ten yards. But if you want more of a Disney feel, just look across the lake.

We have stayed there and to be honest it is my least favorite DVC and certainly our last choice on the monorail. I'm not really sure why we like to eat and shop there just not stay there. It might be the lack of 1 bedrooms.

Most hotels in Disney have an outside aspect, Grand Floridian included. Saying that alone makes it feel like a motel is a huge exaggeration if you just look around as you walk, it’s clearly much nicer than a motel.

For the record, I stayed at the Ploy last summer and it’s 100% my favorite resort. It’s a vacation resort, you aren’t slapped in the face by Disney every ten yards. But if you want more of a Disney feel, just look across the lake.
We are entitled to differently feelings. You like it having outdoor walkways I find it makes it feel cheap. Just a matter of opinion. The tiny elevator and 70s hallways also felt like a cheap hotel to me, but unless they demolish and rebuild that’ll never change. It can be your favorite resort, it’s my least favorite. Neither is wrong. I also don’t like how Grand Floridian is outside and prefer the rooms in the main building. You seem rather angry that I don’t like the hotel, not sure why.

We are heading to the Poly in August, we have stayed at WL, AKL, ASM, All Star Sports, CBR and the Contemporary in the past and have always wanted to stay at the Poly. We had originally planned on staying at the All Star Music suite(we have 3 kids) with the ts/cs dining plan. When they announced the free dining plan we ran the numbers and it was pretty much the same price to stay at ALL Star Suites w/ the upgraded dining plan as it was to stay at the Poly. We are MK peeps so the proximity to the MK and being able to see the castle and the electric light pageant sealed the deal for us.

As the saying goes, there's something for everyone. That's why Disney gives us so many choices in terms of resorts.
I'd personally love to stay at the Epcot deluxe for proximity, but those resorts just don't feel like our style, and honestly I wouldn't feel "at home". DH refuses to stay at All Stars "because he doesn't want to wake up feeling like Disney puked everywhere". There's definitely a style for almost every family (I'm not sure what the Adam's Family would pick ). As long as families weigh their preferences $, convenience, food tastes, ect they can find a place for them. If they are too busy keeping up with the Jones who stayed at such and such resort, it won't make them happy.

While I seldom see anyone post how much their package costs on many boards, we booked poly for middle of June through *** 6 nights, ph, Dp, with one bonus ie water park for $6400. We have three kids and they really limit your options at WDW. Last year we stayed in cars suite @AOA and it wasn’t that much cheaper. This year the cheapest room was cb, but with ph and Dp it was only about $750 less. That’s a chunk of change no doubt but having never been to the poly ever, and knowing the logistical headache of staying at cb (taking a bus to bus seems awful) I thought it was worth it. I will say at AOA we still had to walk a good ways from our building to the main building uncovered in the rain. We really didn’t care.
I wish they would add murphy beds to king rooms for the opposite kid reason. 1 kid and we end up having to book the 4-5 room capacity. It just takes away availability from larger families.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter