• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Polynesian vs. Grand Floridian....YOU CHOOSE!!

kimberwing

Dreaming of Disney
We just got back from the Polynesian and loved it. However, we like trying new things, and are thinking of staying at GF next time. DH thinks it's too frou-frou for us, but I make the travel arrangements, and what I say goes. :)

For those who have done both, would you list pros/cons of each?

I'd be more likely to go with the Polynesian again. But I also don't think the GF is too "frou-frou..." I mean, it is beautiful, but I don't think it's as nice as some other hotels I've stayed at. (Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas was much more plush than the GF).

ANYWAY, with that said, here are some comparisons of the two:

POLYNESIAN
1. Proximity to the TTC - very convenient. You can walk to the TTC to get the monorail directly to EPCOT. At the GF you have to change monorails at the TTC.

2. Restaurants - I think Kona Cafe and O'hana are two of the best restuarants in WDW!

3. Love the pools and the fact that you can lie on the beach and look at the castle.

4. Casual and laid back feel throughout the resort.

5. Beautifully landscaped grounds with a tropical feel.

6. Separate game room and kids center.

GRAND FLORIDIAN
1. Good choice of restaurants - 1900 Park Fare has great character meals.

2. Magically themed rooms like Alice in Wonderland and Wind in the Willows.

3. If you have a lagoon view room, you can hear the sounds of the MK.

4. Transportation is good - but you have to switch monorail trains at the TTC to go to EPCOT.

5. 24 snack shop can get crowded and loud because all the video games are in there, too.

I guess my personal opinion is that the Polynesian is more kid friendly. I have seen TONS of kids at the GF both times I stayed there, but I still think I'd go with the Polynesian. Plus I think the rooms at the Poly are a bit more roomy than those at the GF.

Maybe you'll get some other opinions. Also, I don't have kids (yet - #1 is due in August), but even so, I still think I'd go with the Polynesian with kids.......

Hope this helps! Have fun planning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Poly---hands down! :) I've never stayed at the GF, but I've stayed at The Poly more than once, and that resort will always win my heart. :)

I will cast my vote for the Grand Floridian, I absolutely LOVE it there! That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the Polynesian as well, but I just prefer the GF.

Pros for the GF
1- beautifully themed rooms with large balconies
2- gorgeous landscaping
3- first stop off the monorail is the MK
4- great restaurants
5- plush lobby area with piano player and jazz band
6- elegant atmosphere without being too "stuffy"

Pros for the Poly
1- fun volcano pool
2- nice beach area
3- great restaurants
4- beautiful nighttime atmosphere (tiki torches, etc)
5- great kids club
6- close to the TTC

Good luck with your decision, you really can't go wrong with either choice! :)

I don't particularly like either but that being said, I would pick the GF simply because you already went to the Poly and I like to try all the resorts if possible.

We have stayed at both & really enjoyed both hotels. My favorite is the GF, just because it has such atmosphere, the service is great and you feel like you are at the heart of it all. It is very kid friendly. While they promote it as the flagship/most elegant, any place in DW is kid-friendly. I think both are great and it's just a matter of personal preference. Maybe you should try GF next time and then you'll know. We have stayed at other hotels in DW and these two are our favorites, and you can't beat the monorail access!

Polynesian all the way. I never wanted to try GF because it definitely looked to froo-frooie to me, but since DH agreed to do kid-free Disney for our 10th Ann., I allowed him to pick the resort and he chose GF. We both agreed that although it's very nice, we'd never do it again. We felt very out of place and were glad we didn't have the kids with us, we definitely wouldn't have felt comfortable. Every day there were weddings and once I even ended up on the elevator with a bride and me in my bathing suit and shorts.

Polynesian is just more our speed. Much more laid back. Plus, the restaurants are much more kid-friendly/relaxing to us.

JMO, I can totally understand how others love GF, it's just not for us.

We just got back from a long stay at the GF with a 2 1/2 year old. We have also stayed at the Poly. My vote is for the GF. It is not stuffy (shorts are the norm not the exception), and the new pool is terrific. There were lots of kids there.

There are alot of activities for kids. Daily there are things at the pool in the afternoon. They have reading and crafts in one of the shops during the week. There are also special activities for kids 3+ (pirates cruise, kids fishing trips, tea with Alice, grand adventures in cooking, etc.). My little one loved the music each night in the main building, and each night there were many, many kids dancing with the band!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter