Polynesian Studios and Horns? TOOT TOOT ugh.

Goldilocks07

A rockin' mom and her sweet princess
So I'm super excited that I scored late in the game, a Poly studio in May for my daughter (6) and I, though I've been to the property numerous times, I've never stayed and I'm beyond thrilled.....
Until I read that there are dag-gum boat horns all hours.
I believe we have a lake view.

Now, I live in Manhattan. I'm used to noise. My new building is next to a hospital and I hear obnoxious sirens all hours. I can't IMAGINE it's worse than that. I'm a ridiculous light sleeper as well.
That being said, how bad IS it?

I've stayed in the Poly studios a couple times and never had an issue with the boat horns. I'm a very light sleeper too. I think the bungalows are more likely to be able to hear them rather than the DVC longhouses. Plus if you're used to sirens, on the small chance that you'll hear a boat horn, I doubt you'd bat an eye!

DVC members have reported hearing the boat horns at all hours of the day and night. Especially if there are late or early hours at the MK. Good luck.

We were lucky enough to stay Lagoon View at the Hawaii longhouse which is right along the water, nearest to the boat launch, and I never heard a boat horn once. I've read other people talk about that and my wife, who is a super light sleeper, never heard it once either. We were more annoyed by the speaker about 20 feet from our room that played Hawaiian Christmas music nonstop!

Stayed in Hawaii in May, and the boat horns didn't bother us. I now live in DC, on a major road, and am right under the flight path for medical helicopters and sirens go off at all times of the night and they sometimes wake me up. If we were already awake, every now and then we may hear a boat horn, but at night they didn't bother us when we were asleep.

Stayed in Moorea...but facing inwards. Never heard a sound. But, then again, I don't notice the horns at Boardwalk either, even when I have a boardwalk view!!!

I've heard them at the Boardwalk, but really it wasn't bad!

There are white noise apps you can download on your phone for free; I use one when I travel. It helps a lot!

We stayed in Moorea Lake View last April. The horns are moderately annoying to me. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the MOST annoying, I'd give it a 6-7. Thank goodness we were early risers because if we were going to try to sleep in, it would have been impossible. The horns actually annoyed me more at night when we were trying to sleep.

I would stay there again, but maybe bring a white noise machine or some ear plugs. The resort is amazing and totally worth putting up with the noise!

We are the complete opposite. We actually left our balcony door open a bit, SO we could hear the boat horns:sail: We loved hearing the sounds of the boats.

That's what a friend of mine said years ago. She said every time she heard a boat horn, she just smiled and remembered she was at Disney World.

The rooms are fairly well sound proofed so the horns won't be loud but they will be noticeable. With a little luck you'll be able to hear the train whistle from the MK too and with a LITTLE more luck (and the wind blowing in the right direction!) I would go out on the balcony to hear the welcome show. (Back when it was in front of the train station). I've never had trouble sleeping with them (I'm a light sleeper too) but I also think it's part of the charm. The boats don't run "all night" either - they'll go from an hour before MK opens to an hour after it closes.

On the other hand I HAVE been woken in the morning by the leaf blowers and the sand cleaners! :)

The rooms are fairly well sound proofed so the horns won't be loud but they will be noticeable. With a little luck you'll be able to hear the train whistle from the MK too and with a LITTLE more luck (and the wind blowing in the right direction!) I would go out on the balcony to hear the welcome show. (Back when it was in front of the train station). I've never had trouble sleeping with them (I'm a light sleeper too) but I also think it's part of the charm. The boats don't run "all night" either - they'll go from an hour before MK opens to an hour after it closes.

On the other hand I HAVE been woken in the morning by the leaf blowers and the sand cleaners! :)
Yep! We enjoyed the train whistle and MK park noise as well:)

At Poly, you will hear boat horns, train whistles, the electric water pageant, the fireworks and (if you are over on the luau cove side, which you won't be!), the luau!! Can it be annoying? I suppose. It depends on what your noise tolerance is. The boat horns and train whistles never bothered me. When staying on the lagoon side of Hawaii, I got pretty sick of the electric water pageant and the fireworks noise and when in Fiji on the luau side, we just stayed out until at least 10:10 pm when we knew it would be over. I certainly haven't stayed at all the longhouse in Poly, but Rarotonga was the quietest for us.

I've stayed Hawaii TPV many times. Not the same as a lake view DVC room but very very close, same general concept. With the balcony door open you'll hear all sorts of sounds... Ferry horn, resort launch horn, MK train, etc. With it closed you'll still be able to hear the Ferry and resort launch horns, but very muted. More background noise than anything else.

But, I'm in the camp that it's one my favorite WDW sounds. The action and "buzz" of the Seven Seas Lagoon is one my favorite feelings. I read people complaining about it and I don't get it, but again, that's just me.

I'd keep it and enjoy your lake view!

Enjoy your trip.

Amen. Technological advances in engines has given us hybrid cars and twin-engine jets that can fly 16+ hours. But, I'm waiting for someone to build a leaf blower that isn't as loud as a jackhammer.

Oh they built them, but they were only strong enough to blow one leaf at a time so they never took off. :teeth:

I have stayed over by the TTC but garden view and I couldn't hear it.

But add me to the "I love the horn, toot toot, howl, fireworks...etc... any noice I hear while in Disney I love because I am in Disney.

Also I am so tired that I just pass out!

I have never heard a boat horn..... I think it is very subjective to where you live in NY there is constant noise outside so you will find it very quite. On the other hand if I vacation in the country it is hard to sleep because you hear nothing.... Car horns sirens people talking are the white noise for NY'rs that let us sleep and the boat horns will likely be way to quite for our white noise... if anything you will need to adjust to the lack of noise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter