POLY overated. What do you think?

We have never stayed at the Poly and our first ever WDW trip was just this May 2008 and we chose to stay at the GF resort. We had reservations for the Poly but changed last minute. I'm glad we picked the GF resort over the Poly. We took a night to ride the monorail over to the Poly and after hearing all the hype on this board about Poly, Poly, Poly, I just couldn't for the life of me see what all the hoopla was about. It was ok but I found as you entered the lobby, it was VERY crowded and noisy, alot of people milling around. We took a walk on the path towards the pool and right as we stepped outside people smoking and talking along the path. Just not my tropical idea. We saw the pool and it was ok as well. I did like the Wyland Gallery and the lady that was working in there was very gracious and nice answering our questions, greeting us, etc. It appeared to me to be just kind of in need of updates. I know people say the true Hawaii looks like the buildings, etc but compared to the GF resort, the Poly just couldn't compete. Now, all of this is based upon not staying there but really after visiting, I wouldn't have the desire to when the GF is there. The GF was bright, cheery, charming, Victorian, laid back and the grounds were just lovely. The lobby was breathtaking and the 2 pools were wonderful. The rooms were bright and cheery and we had a wonderful pool view/garden view. It just seemed more peaceful there and I really felt at home. The Poly to me just seemed too overcrowded/noisy and just not my cup of tea. I had reservations for the Kona Cafe and after visiting the Poly that day, I later cancelled. We did Chef Mickey's instead and LOVED it! So, I am one of those ones that isn't impressed with the Poly. To each their own but I'm definitely a GF resort kind of gal:love: :cloud9: The GF is our WDW HOME RESORT for all future visits. We can't wait to plan for next year! So glad I switched to the GF last minute :) I would have been disappointed staying at the Poly quite frankly.

I totally agree with you....that's why we don't stay there.;) (yep, more room for the others) We tried Poly concierge five times and really wanted to like the Poly...there are things we DO like about it, but not enough. And I learned my lesson about posting anythign negative about the Poly on the DIS.:rotfl: :eek: :rotfl: After five Poly tries, it's history for us. Been there done that. We stay at the GF.:thumbsup2 :wizard:

GF LOVER HERE TOO!:love: :cloud9: Our 1st stay was this May 2008 and it was WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) Definitely our WDW home resort!

Yep...way overrated::yes::
We booked for a week, and after 1 night (due to many issues from broken fixtures to dirty room) we moved to the GF....and happy to say we never looked back ;)

Don't you just LOVE:love: the GF resort! My family won't ever stay anywhere else when going to Disney! We already have plans for our return visit next year and we just got back in May from our very 1st visit and boy, we couldn't have picked any better resort than the GF to have our 1st experience staying onsite at Disney! It is just a WONDERFUL, GRAND RESORT!

We stayed for two nights at the Poly in May (22nd and 23rd) and while we absolutely loved our stay I have to say I am not sure when we will return. We generally tack on a couple of nights cash to a DVC reservation and its a great way to try out the various resorts. It was a special treat and I am so glad we went. I had always wanted to stay there and it didn't disappoint. Even so, I want to try out the last several resorts we have left to try. With the exception of the GF which just doens't appeal to me for some reason. It just reminds me of my grandmother's house, too much Victorian decorating. But I'll probably give it a try, I want to say I have stayed at them all someday!

The Volcano pool was freezing. We swam at OKW, SSR and POR this last trip and didn't encoutner anything like that. It was a shame but our kids still had fun. They just wished there was a hot tub to escape to so they could warm up! But our kids loved the beach area and having that wonderful view of Wishes was just so nice. The grounds are lovely and our room was very spacious. So I guess I don't think its overrated but I can see how the hype and price might set somebody up to feel that way. I have to say all the cm's were also wonderful, but we have had that pleasure at pretty much all levels of the Disney resorts.

I agree we all have different tastes. Dh and I prefer the spread out moderates and DVC's, many people don't care for those at all.

Oh and I have to add, we also had very nice linens, maybe the OP just got stuck with a funky set of sheets!

We have never stayed at the Poly and our first ever WDW trip was just this May 2008 and we chose to stay at the GF resort. We had reservations for the Poly but changed last minute. I'm glad we picked the GF resort over the Poly. We took a night to ride the monorail over to the Poly and after hearing all the hype on this board about Poly, Poly, Poly, I just couldn't for the life of me see what all the hoopla was about. It was ok but I found as you entered the lobby, it was VERY crowded and noisy, alot of people milling around. We took a walk on the path towards the pool and right as we stepped outside people smoking and talking along the path. Just not my tropical idea. We saw the pool and it was ok as well. I did like the Wyland Gallery and the lady that was working in there was very gracious and nice answering our questions, greeting us, etc. It appeared to me to be just kind of in need of updates. I know people say the true Hawaii looks like the buildings, etc but compared to the GF resort, the Poly just couldn't compete. Now, all of this is based upon not staying there but really after visiting, I wouldn't have the desire to when the GF is there. The GF was bright, cheery, charming, Victorian, laid back and the grounds were just lovely. The lobby was breathtaking and the 2 pools were wonderful. The rooms were bright and cheery and we had a wonderful pool view/garden view. It just seemed more peaceful there and I really felt at home. The Poly to me just seemed too overcrowded/noisy and just not my cup of tea. I had reservations for the Kona Cafe and after visiting the Poly that day, I later cancelled. We did Chef Mickey's instead and LOVED it! So, I am one of those ones that isn't impressed with the Poly. To each their own but I'm definitely a GF resort kind of gal:love: :cloud9: The GF is our WDW HOME RESORT for all future visits. We can't wait to plan for next year! So glad I switched to the GF last minute :) I would have been disappointed staying at the Poly quite frankly.

It sounds like you had a great stay! Its is truly funny how all our tastes do differ. We have visited the GF many times to eat at 1900 Park Fare and I have to say my reaction to its lobby and atmosphere is exactly like your reaction to the Poly. I just have no desire to stay there. I have a friend that is like you and won't stay anywhere else. We do all indeed have different tastes. So glad your first trip was so magical!

I know, a lot of people don't agree and I might get flamed for this, but I don't think any of Disney's Deluxe resorts are worth the price they charge.

The first time we stayed at the Poly was summer '99 before major room refurb and the creation of the ever so cool volcano pool. I had it built up as the grandest of the grand resorts because of the very loyal following on these boards. I was not impressed at all. We purchased DVC that year and had not stayed at the Poly again until June '07. On this trip we had 2 teens and our 2 DD's, 2 and 1. I loved the new rooms, loved the new pool, love the dining, and ohhhhh the monorail to the MK with the little ones. We booked a short notice trip for Oct for just myself, the 15 yr old and the 2 little ones at the Poly and cannot say how much easier it was touring with the monorail. For me 50% of my love for the Poly is the ease you have with little ones. We are booked 4 nites this July before heading over to Vero Beach for a week. Would I pay rack rate at the Poly, absolutely not!!! We booked the WL for our discount DxDP trip in Sept because the rack rates are much more reasonable and we love the WL, haven't stayed there since "99.

Side note if you notice our trips were all the year of '99 when we purchased DVC. That was the year my DH asked "How much have we spent on resort rooms this year? Have you looked into DVC?" :yay:

I totally agree with the OP. We stayed at Poly a few years ago and yes it is a lovely resort but our family was not thrilled with it. The monorail is a nice thing but we would rather be able to walk to a park(or 2) like we can from the YC. :)

Don't you just LOVE:love: the GF resort! My family won't ever stay anywhere else when going to Disney! We already have plans for our return visit next year and we just got back in May from our very 1st visit and boy, we couldn't have picked any better resort than the GF to have our 1st experience staying onsite at Disney! It is just a WONDERFUL, GRAND RESORT!

:yay: OH YAH!!!! Love it!

I know, a lot of people don't agree and I might get flamed for this, but I don't think any of Disney's Deluxe resorts are worth the price they charge.

Why do you think you would get flamed? Would you flame me because I think they're worth every dime? a lot of people think this way. Like another poster said "that's why the make vanilla & chocolate".
One of disney's great markerting ideas is that they have so many resort choices. One is bound to meet your ideals. Don't think the deluxes are worth the money, that's totally cool. :thumbsup2 I've stayed all 3 levels all 3 were worth what I paid for them

I'm not a person who goes one place and then compares it to some place else, so I never really understood the "I can stay at the 4 seasons" arguement. If I wanted to stay at the 4 seasons that's where I would be but the point is you are perfectly legitimate in your feelings. I never understood flames everyone is entitled to their perception.

I love the Poly! It is my favorite resort. I am sorry that you had a bad experience there. I have heard of others having similar experiences to you, and that the service level at the concierge had slipped, but I hadn't heard anything to that extent recently. This disappoints me tremendously.

I absolutely love the Poly. Actually I can never decide which I like better Beach Club or Poly. I have never stayed at GF or YC. Neither are on my short list, but I do want to stay at all the resorts eventually.​

I have to say that I agree with stemikger....in all honesty, we really don't feel that the deluxe resorts are truly 'deluxe' therefore, they aren't worth the price to us.

Truly 5 star resorts have high threadcount sheets, have larger rooms, have high end bathrooms in all rooms (the tub at AKL was exactly the same as at the values), high end towels that are truly plush, like they feel brand new, they have the highest quality of service which would include people opening the front doors for you, staff that arrives immediately as your car pulls up to unload your bags...the list could go on an on...

I understand that the deluxes are 'deluxe' when compared to the values and mods, but in the real world, outside of DW, the deluxes are really nothing more than a themed up hilton which to us is a 3.5 star place. Certainly at some point we might pay for the deluxes for a special occasion but we were really underwhelmed at AKL and wouldn't spend the $$ anytime soon.

Maybe we just view deluxe differently than other people do....I don't know. It's not that we didn't have a nice time- I guess we just expected more from a proclaimed deluxe.

The Poly is my favorite resort (with AKL a close second). Do I think it's overrated? If anything I think it's overpriced but that's a discussion for a different post. :lmao: My family and I feel 'at home' there but that's our experience. Now I will consider the GF to be overrated but I'm planning a stay there to satisfy my curiosity to whether that's true or not.

Every resort isn't going to appeal to everyone which is why it's great Disney has so many to choose from. If you stay at a resort and consider it 'overrated', just chalk it up to experience and try another one. :thumbsup2 No worries.

Back in '03, we were booked at POR. Then, we got a great rate at the WL, so moved our reservation there. Well, the Fairy Tale package came out...book four nights, get three free...we changed to the Polynesian. My dd, then almost 10, had always wanted to stay at the Polynesian so figured this was our chance. We arrived at the Polynesian and had issues right from the start. Dd was looking forward to getting a lei, but none to be had. We ended up paying off different bellmen before our luggage got delivered to our room...the guy who took our bags from our towncar into the main bldg., then the guy who drove our bags, but not us, to our longhouse.
Then, our room overlooked the Hawaii longhouse. Yes, we could see a small bit of the lagoon which was nice. But, if we were in our room during the daytime hours, we got to look at construction workers at Hawaii. Not a pretty site from our 2nd floor balcony.
The pool was severely overcrowded..it was mid-August so there may have been pool hoppers there. I know one group was hopping due to a conversation I overheard.
When I asked my dd how she liked the Polynesian, she said it just wasn't as Disney as POR. She was sort of sad that we hadn't stayed with our original reservation. I could have killed her! Ungratefull little twerp.
But, we did enjoy the boat to the MK and the ability to walk to the TTC to get the Epcot line. I didn't like that we had to walk out in the rain to get to our longhouse if we wanted to grab a bite to eat.

Would we stay at the Polynesian again? Probably not. But now we own DVC at BWV..so we can stay there. Or just head to POP for those quickie, last minute or budget trips.

I think your list of issues with the Poly are valid complaints. I think it will serve a purpose to those who have never stayed there before but plan to so maybe they won't set their expecations too high.

I know it's not perfect, but we still love it. My family refuses to try anywhere else, and believe me, I've really got a desire to stay at the Grand Floridian one day. I also like to remember that Disney is not a super high end place and probably never will be. That's the reality. You're paying for location and theming.

We love the poly!!! We did have an issue last time we stayed & had a garden view only to look at a stop sign. I called down to the desk & they were wonderful-gave us a new room w/ a water/garden/MK view!!! As far as the pool being cold-I think if you want to swim in Fl-you want the cold water-it would be refreshing. My kids love the pool-I don't swim so I can't comment too much on the pool. Can't comment on concierge either-trying this time to get into a room there, but they are sold out I think b/c of free dining.
Hopefully you will enjoy your next trip. Can't wait for our trip!!!!

I agree with the others who have stated that the Disney Deluxe resorts would not be considered Deluxe in the "real world". However, as stated, you are paying for the location and ease of access to the parks - pure and simple.

If you don't mind riding the busses or taking a slower mode of transportation, there's probably little difference between the Mods and the Deluxes.

We are planning a visit next month and have still not decided where to stay - but have 3 different reservations. I am trying to decide which one by end of today - and then decide whether ot not to split the stay.

The decisions I am making are mostly based on location and ease of access to the parks. I realize that I am paying for convenience - and that's worth quite a bit to me. Disney is operating a high-volume, high-margin business and you're only going to get so much from their resorts.

For me, Disney is not a real vacation. It is absolutely fun and I am thrilled that my daughter has such a ball there. So, for us both to enjoy it, I need to make the park access and egress as easy as I can - and maximize my "by the pool" time. For this, I need resorts that easily connect to parks (without busses).

Frankly, you could put the CSR where the Poly is and connect the monorail through it and I wouldn't know the difference.

It is overrated? That depends on your needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter