POLY overated. What do you think?

marvel

DIS Veteran
We stayed Poly concierge in May and I just have to say that with all the hype on DIS we were disappointed in quite a few things about this resort. In fact we found the WL to be a better experience overall. Don't get me wrong with the following commentary, we loved WDW and our entire stay, and I am sure I will get flamed to death, but I think it is good to warn newbie's etc what they truly should expect. We loved our stay at WDW but would not stay at the Poly again unless it was with some type of truly magical discount code.

Firstly the staff. From my experience they really do not understand the term concierge. We asked various questions of the Poly concierge staff and found only 1 that truly was interested in finding the answer to our query. This was the most disappointing. They had to be prompted each time to find out about anything they didn't know, and refused to even use their internet access at their desks unless asked to do so. It was very disappointing. Oh, just saying Aloha doesn't make you helpful.

The room was large but nothing special in terms of ammenities, although the linen was the worst of any hotel we stayed in during 6 weeks of travelling the US. Truly the worst sheets we have ever slept in, they were like cardboard. Surely someone else has experienced this?

Finally, the pool. It was cold. Yes, so cold we swam in the quiet pool along with many many people as it was much warmer. And we are well experienced with hotel pools. The WL pool was fine, we did a split stay, but the famous Poly pool was only swimmable between 2 and 6 pm if it was a warm day. I didn't even think it was possible for a deluxe to have such a cold pool.

I tend to not post negatively in all my time on DIS but had to get these small points off my chest, as there don't seem to be that many realistic reviews of the Poly.

Polynesian overrated?? :lovestruc Not to me & my family - there is nowhere else we'd rather be. :cloud9: We were just there in May also, overlooking the marina in Fij, we thought the bed was incredibly comfortable, including the sheets. We also had a slight snag upon checkin which was quickly resolved - We had an incredible, magical stay.

We loved the Poly but the cold pool was a big problem I had last April. It was freezing! They told us that it was being worked on and would be warm again. I am dissappointed to hear that it is still so cold. Otherwise that is the only thing I can complain about but it was going to be a big part of our trip ,so I didn't think we got what we paid for. I will not go back again there if the pool is still an issue. Maybe others have found that the pool is warm again? Can;t comment on concierge because we have never stayed there.

No flames. I always say different strokes for different folks. I think the other reviews are just as "realistic" they are just different. Poly is not my favorite (I'm a wl & BC fan) but hey, that's the great thing about Disney
So many choices. How many people don't like WL because of the small pool and the dark colors.
Hope your next vacation is magical.

Wasn't there just another "poly overated" thread a few months ago? Sorry you didn't like it! More room for me!

We stayed Poly concierge in May and I just have to say that with all the hype on DIS we were disappointed in quite a few things about this resort. In fact we found the WL to be a better experience overall. Don't get me wrong with the following commentary, we loved WDW and our entire stay, and I am sure I will get flamed to death, but I think it is good to warn newbie's etc what they truly should expect. We loved our stay at WDW but would not stay at the Poly again unless it was with some type of truly magical discount code.

Firstly the staff. From my experience they really do not understand the term concierge. We asked various questions of the Poly concierge staff and found only 1 that truly was interested in finding the answer to our query. This was the most disappointing. They had to be prompted each time to find out about anything they didn't know, and refused to even use their internet access at their desks unless asked to do so. It was very disappointing. Oh, just saying Aloha doesn't make you helpful.

The room was large but nothing special in terms of ammenities, although the linen was the worst of any hotel we stayed in during 6 weeks of travelling the US. Truly the worst sheets we have ever slept in, they were like cardboard. Surely someone else has experienced this?

Finally, the pool. It was cold. Yes, so cold we swam in the quiet pool along with many many people as it was much warmer. And we are well experienced with hotel pools. The WL pool was fine, we did a split stay, but the famous Poly pool was only swimmable between 2 and 6 pm if it was a warm day. I didn't even think it was possible for a deluxe to have such a cold pool.

I tend to not post negatively in all my time on DIS but had to get these small points off my chest, as there don't seem to be that many realistic reviews of the Poly.

I totally agree with you....that's why we don't stay there.;) (yep, more room for the others) We tried Poly concierge five times and really wanted to like the Poly...there are things we DO like about it, but not enough. And I learned my lesson about posting anythign negative about the Poly on the DIS.:rotfl: :eek: :rotfl: After five Poly tries, it's history for us. Been there done that. We stay at the GF.:thumbsup2 :wizard:

We stayed there for the first time Oct 07, after years of dreaming it finally came true! It was not like I hyped it up in my head. We would stay there again but only if there are discounts available, and it is not our first choice must do place.

That being said we love the dining choices at the Poly and we will be staying there again for a long weekend in August but we got an amazing discount....$202.50 a night including taxes. ::yes::

We LOVE the Poly and we will continue to stay there as it is our #1 choice resort, with the WL running a close second :goodvibes. We have not stayed concierge so I can't comment on that, but our non-concierge stay at the Poly was more than wonderful. As you mentioned the WL being great, I do agree with you as we love it there as well. But you will find many people who don't care for it at all and who may describe that the way you describe the Poly....which is fine because everyone has their own opinion and preference. I do understand you wanting to voice your opinion of the Poly and your "not so great" stay and the fact that you don't like the Poly, but to "warn" all the newbies to EXPECT a bad experience is a little extreme. I read some "not so good" reviews of the Poly before our first stay in September and let me tell you....if I had listened to them and stayed away, we would have missed out on one of the BEST vacations we've had in the 7 years we have been going to Disney....and all of our trips to Disney have been GREAT ::yes::. I think people need to take these reviews with a grain of salt and decide for themselves. If you try the Poly and don't like it...fine; but you may also love it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think too many people take these reviews to heart. My suggestion is if there is a resort you want to try, then try it for yourself and make your own conclusions. It's good to get other people's opinions, but I wouldn't base my entire decision on what a few people say as people are more likely to report on the bad things rather than what was good. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience at the Poly, but I'm glad you enjoyed the WL. The Poly is not for everyone.....as the WL isn't for everyone....etc. If everyone had the same opinions on places/things, we'd be living in a pretty boring world. If there is another Disney trip in your future, I hope you have a better experience next time ;).

Yep...way overrated::yes::
We booked for a week, and after 1 night (due to many issues from broken fixtures to dirty room) we moved to the GF....and happy to say we never looked back ;)

We have stayed there twice and really enjoyed it. I don't think it's overrated at all; but...I do take exception to the cold pools. We have, on several occasions, found the pools too cold to be enjoyable: at AS Movies (May), POFQ (May), and the Poly (October) we have had the pool be so cold we didn't swim. That is a very important part of my vacation; we live in Indiana and really enjoy hot tropical weather and our pool time. I think that we are being cheated when the pools are so cold they turn your lips blue...the kids wouldn't even get in them.

I have to agree completely with Mickeynut1!!

As my mom always says.. "That's why they make chocolate and vanilla!"

Just to show you another viewpoint our last trip to poly concierge was absolutely amazing. It was my grandfather's 80th birthday 1/30/07 - 2/6/07 and they couldn't have done enough for us. When we made the reservations and they ask if you are celebrating anything special we told them it was his 80th bday. We had made no requests for anything special. They had the room decorated when we got there, had made him a fresh flower lei, arranged for us to have a complimentary wheelchair all week and helped rearrange all of our dining plans. They were always helpful the entire week with any questions or issues that arose. We thought the room was beautiful. The beds were extremely comfortable with the softest sheets we've ever slept on! I'm very sorry you didn't have the same experience we did and I hope all your future trips are as wonderful as ours was!

The Poly is my favorite resort on planet earth. It is not the most luxurious place I have stayed, but I absolutely love it.

Not every Disney resort will appeal to every guest and it is fine if people do not care for the Poly. That is why Disney has a plethora of themed resort properties. Every hotel or resort has its shortcomings, some more evident at particular times than others.

We stayed at the Poly in May too and yes volcano pool very cold, kids swam in quiet pool. This Poly trip was the "Dream trip" and we too thought it was overrated (DH and I) kids had a great time but hey they were in Disney...dis posterswill be happy, more room for them, but sounds like the WL will be more crowded :thumbsup2 (Our fave)!
Love the cholcoate and vanilla anology:lmao:

I love the Poly, but I agree with the volcano pool being cold. We were there last Sept. and it was so cold my one dd wouldn't get in past her knees. I don't mind refreshingly cool, but goosebumps and shivering I can live without. I wonder why it is so cold?

It's interesting to hear the mixed reviews, I've always fancied a stay at the polynesian, but its seems so expensive, moreso having read this thread :S

We also stayed Poly. concierge in May, and DH, DD, DS, and I all had a wonderful time. :cloud9: Sorry you didn't, OP. . . different strokes for different folks.

When my family and I stayed at the Polynesian we enjoyed ourselves. Now we did not experience anything like the OP is mentioning, however there were two things we did not like.

1st It took a maintenance Cast Member 3 days to fix a broken light in our bathroom and having to keep asking the Club Level Cast Members when will someone fix it? Although I think getting maintenance at any Resort is hard, because in previous stays at the Contemporary it would take 2 or 3 calls when we needed a new remote for our TV.

2nd When we arrived it took almost 10 minutes for a bellman to come and take us on a golf cart to the Hawaii Longhouse, so we kind of got sick of hearing it will be another minute. However I think part of that is how bell services got changed around or something was changed that had to do with them.

Obviously a lot of worse things could have happened, so I am not holding anything that happened against the Polynesian because we had a lot more good things then bad things.

We were there in May and had a great time. I'm sorry that you didn't encounter the excellent concierge (club level) staff that we did. We were in the Hawaii building too and each and every CM that we spoke to (and there were several) was very, very helpful. In fact, after we got back home I actually took the time to email Guest Services to give specific names of the CMs who helped us during this trip :)

IMO, whenever anything gets "hyped" up as much as the Poly on the DIS, you are bound to have people disappointed.

Just like when you finally go to a movie that everyone raves about -- you start to expect so much that you can feel let down by a perfectly good film.

To the OP: I am sorry that you did not have the experience you were hoping for at the Poly. It's frustrating to spend alot of $$$ and feel that the service was lacking something.

We loved the Poly in Nov./Dec. of last year.
The pools were warm and concierge was outstanding.
Our room was LVC and the view was breathtaking.:cloud9:
It was our 32nd anni. trip and we were treated like royalty.:) :)
I am sorry you didn't have a good experience.:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter