Poly or Yacht Club with 2.5 yr old?

pixiedust33

Mouseketeer
I'm in the preliminary planning stages of an early 2024 trip, which will be our first with our then 2.5 yr old. I've been to WDW many times, but only as a kid myself or adults only trips, so I've never done Disney with a toddler. After ALL THE RESEARCH, I have arrived at the conclusion that either the Polynesian or the Yacht Club is best for us, but would love thoughts from the experts and people who have actually stayed at these properties, especially with a young kid. Please excuse the somewhat lengthy explanation of what we're looking for and what I'm worried about with each resort:

Our vacation plan: Our plan is to do one day at each park, maybe two for MK, and have 1-2 resort days. Probably staying 1 week. We plan to rope drop each morning, then leave after lunch for my son to nap at the hotel (he absolutely will not nap in a stroller - he has mega FOMO and will only nap in total silence and darkness, lord help me). But I DON'T actually plan to return to the parks after lunch, which maybe negates the standard "stay on the monorail" advice for a toddler. Our plan is to spend the afternoon at the pool/the resort, do a dinner around 5/5:30pm, then my son will go to bed at 7 and I hope my husband and I can excuse ourselves to a balcony/patio, ideally with a cocktail and a nice view. So our main criteria is therefore: 1) a pool/resort that is great for toddlers; 2) a room with a balcony or patio, ideally a nice view and good cocktails on site; 3) minimal transport time to the parks, bonus points for not needing to be on a bus; and 4) ideally also a tub, not a shower only.

These criteria have landed me at the Poly or the Yacht Club. I've ruled out AKL based on my husband was making faces about all of the menu items at their restaurants, which is not ideal because I think we will eat at the resort a lot. I think I will nonetheless drag him here, but probably when our son is older.

The Polynesian: The pros of the Poly for us are the monorail to MK and Epcot, the theming, the food, including the on-site character dining at Ohana, the tiki drinks that we can bring to the room, the incredible pool with the toddler splash pad area, the fact that it's a smaller resort, and the size of the rooms. Really the only downside I see to the Poly is that they can't guarantee a balcony/patio, unless we do DVC, which I don't want to do (the room setup doesn't work as well for us, I don't like the distance from the lobby/main area, and can't rent points because I need to remain flexible to cancel). To get my nice view, I would plan to pay for a theme park view, but I understand that still doesn't guarantee a balcony and may even limit it since there are fewer rooms that fit the bill. I'm also worried about noise from the beach. So would love to hear thoughts on how likely it is to get a balcony if it's your only request and also on noise levels. If we could guarantee a balcony, I think we would go Poly.

Yacht Club: The pros of the Yacht club for us are pretty much the same as the Poly in terms of easy/walkable access to Epcot and HS (plus the walkable boardwalk area and the Skyliner, which I think my toddler might enjoy taking over to AoA to look at the Cars stuff), the incredible pool options for toddler, the guaranteed balcony, and on-site dining and drinks that my husband and I both find appealing (we love seafood). The primary downsides here are that 1) I've heard the quick service food is not good/there isn't much, which is important to us for breakfasts and snacks at night, 2) I don't like that this resort is dog-friendly as someone with a dog allergy and a toddler who naps and is a light sleeper, and 3) it seems like a nice view is harder to come by here and I'm unlikely to get fireworks views. The theming is nice but also isn't as exciting to us, as people who live in the coastal northeast. So would love to hear about your views from balcomy rooms, thoughts on noise levels and the quality/availability of quick service food.

If you think I've missed some other great option, or you think there's something else I should be considering, I'm open to hearing that too! Thank you to anyone still reading :) I've already put a lot of thought into this and am totally undecided so hoping there's some sort of consensus over which option is best for us.

If you do Poly, I would consider doing Garden View-Club Level as opposed to theme park view - especially if your child goes to bed early - noise from the lagoon (boats, electric water pageant and fireworks) - can be very loud. With CL, you will have breakfast, snacks and cocktails throughout the day. You can request 3rd floor, but, again, you will never be guaranteed a balcony at Poly. I think the theming at Poly and the splash pad and zero entry pool give it a slight edge over YC.

That being said, YC is my favorite resort - the QS there is pretty good, actually, it's just very small. If you want a nicer view, book Water View and request a view of the lagoon. You could also consider Club Level here if you would like better access to snacks, breakfast and drinks.

If you would like more space, you might also want to consider a 1-bedroom at Beach Club Villas - you will get a patio or balcony there and the location cannot be beat - you will be very close to the BC QS and you will be the closest you can get to EP, the Skyliner and the buses to the other parks. You also get a full kitchen and washer/dryer which comes in handy with a toddler - you also get all of the amenities (pool, restaurants, etc.) as YC.

Agree with the fact that QS at YC and BC is pretty good. We did many breakfasts and even 1 lunch at their QS. There were enough good options to make us happy. And you just cannot beat the pool!

Also agree with the idea of perhaps looking at the BC side, if that's even an option for you - I'm pretty sure BC is not the pet friendly side of the resort - might take away one concern you have. Either way, you'll have a great resort - enjoy your trip!

I would go with Polynesian. I've done a few trips now with our littles, and while I absolutely LOVE the Yacht Club for a million reasons, I think Poly hits the mark better for a trip with a 2.5 year old. First off, you will likely find yourself at Magic Kingdom A LOT, and from YC your only option is a bus, which means breaking down the stroller. From Poly you can take the monorail without having to break it down which is a huge convenience. Secondly, Stormalong Bay is great but is actually not ideal for that age range imho. There is no splash pad there, and I will pick a resort with a splash pad ANY DAY over a resort that doesn't have one. The splash pad is where my husband and I get a brief respite from the kid crazy. They are endlessly entertained, while we can stand nearby and supervise, relatively stress-free, drink in hand.

If you do Poly, I would consider doing Garden View-Club Level as opposed to theme park view - especially if your child goes to bed early - noise from the lagoon (boats, electric water pageant and fireworks) - can be very loud. With CL, you will have breakfast, snacks and cocktails throughout the day. You can request 3rd floor, but, again, you will never be guaranteed a balcony at Poly. I think the theming at Poly and the splash pad and zero entry pool give it a slight edge over YC.

That being said, YC is my favorite resort - the QS there is pretty good, actually, it's just very small. If you want a nicer view, book Water View and request a view of the lagoon. You could also consider Club Level here if you would like better access to snacks, breakfast and drinks.

If you would like more space, you might also want to consider a 1-bedroom at Beach Club Villas - you will get a patio or balcony there and the location cannot be beat - you will be very close to the BC QS and you will be the closest you can get to EP, the Skyliner and the buses to the other parks. You also get a full kitchen and washer/dryer which comes in handy with a toddler - you also get all of the amenities (pool, restaurants, etc.) as YC.
Thank you for pointing out the club level option as a way to basically get more easy to grab food! I hadn't considered that. Just looked at the 1 bedroom villas and it seems like they only have 1 bed though. Our terrorist toddler won't sleep in a travel cot/pack n play, so we need two queen beds - one for me and the terrorist and one for the husband. But it looks like club level at beach club also comes with a balcony! Do you know if those are true balconies? I had ruled out BC just because I read that many of their balconies are just Juliets that you can't actually sit on/close the door to, so I didn't think I could guarantee a true balcony at BC. I'd be willing to pay more for club if that did guarantee one.

There is no splash pad there, and I will pick a resort with a splash pad ANY DAY over a resort that doesn't have one.
I've been having this debate in my head too! I do wish YC had a splash pad. The toddlers in the pictures do seem pretty occupied by the shallow sand area and the small slide on the pirate ship area, but our kid is a bit of a maniac so I could see him being captivated longer by a good splash pad. So you found your little ones were more into the splash pad than the sand area around that age?

I've been having this debate in my head too! I do wish YC had a splash pad. The toddlers in the pictures do seem pretty occupied by the shallow sand area and the small slide on the pirate ship area, but our kid is a bit of a maniac so I could see him being captivated longer by a good splash pad. So you found your little ones were more into the splash pad than the sand area around that age?

So, my kid is ALSO a maniac 😂 He was just under two when we stayed at BC last year, and I was just so stressed. He has no fear, was not long entertained by sitting in the sand, and seriously just wanted to plow straight down the zero-entry into the water. It was not relaxing at all. We had a split stay and the second leg we stayed at a resort that had a splash pad, and it was a WORLD of difference. He was so entertained, we were relaxed.... and I decided splash pad is an absolute must until they're a bit older.

So, my kid is ALSO a maniac 😂 He was just under two when we stayed at BC last year, and I was just so stressed. He has no fear, was not long entertained by sitting in the sand, and seriously just wanted to plow straight down the zero-entry into the water. It was not relaxing at all. We had a split stay and the second leg we stayed at a resort that had a splash pad, and it was a WORLD of difference. He was so entertained, we were relaxed.... and I decided splash pad is an absolute must until they're a bit older.
Ok, this definitely sounds like my son and is what I was worried about too, so I think you've convinced me we need a splash pad. But the lack of guaranteed balcony at the Poly is killing me 😖 The AKL splash pad did really look amazing too, so maybe I need to add that back into the mix....

Ok, this definitely sounds like my son and is what I was worried about too, so I think you've convinced me we need a splash pad. But the lack of guaranteed balcony at the Poly is killing me 😖 The AKL splash pad did really look amazing too, so maybe I need to add that back into the mix....

Is Grand Floridian a possibility? I believe price-wise it's on par with Poly, and has a splash pad, and as far as I know every room has a balcony.

Yacht/Beach Club generally have pretty pathetic views. You can see why if you look at the map. They're too short to see over anything, and you're looking mostly at landsacping or roads or parking lots, unless you pay for the lake view.

BUT, Poly is a construction zone and will be for a long time. It would be a real bummer to pay this much and end up staring at a construction fence.

How about Swan Reserve? You can book a balcony category room. Swolphin have a ton of food options. Another option would be Contemporary main building.

Is Grand Floridian a possibility? I believe price-wise it's on par with Poly, and has a splash pad, and as far as I know every room has a balcony.
I will look into this some more! I had ruled it out just because it didn't *feel* very kid-friendly with the overall vibe and I was thinking the quick service there was also more limited. But just googled and saw the splash pad and that does look good! My husband has only ever stayed in moderates and really likes the food-court type options there (we most recently stayed at Port Orleans Riverside in 2019 and he loved the food situation there), so I've been trying to find Deluxes that have at least one option that is sort of like that (or buffets - the man loves a buffet).

If there are any DVC deluxe studios available at the Poly, those all have balconies...I believe. And I think price wise they are about the same as the hotel side when booked on cash...and I stayed TPV, don't get me wrong it's a nice view but oh boy is that walk long with Lapu Lapus and it feels long from the pool. When we checked in, we were in a room without a balcony, I actually moved rooms the next day because it's a lot of money to NOT have one.

Given the options between Poly and YC, I'd choose Poly but I'm also from the northeast and Yacht Club is something I can get down the street (essentially)

EDIT: I saw you don't want to do DVC, but honestly I think that part of the resort is in a better spot than those TPV rooms and won't be right next to the tower construction and you can book with cash. Plus it's a shorter walk to the TTC for the Epcot days.

Yacht/Beach Club generally have pretty pathetic views. You can see why if you look at the map. They're too short to see over anything, and you're looking mostly at landsacping or roads or parking lots, unless you pay for the lake view.
Yeah, this is what I was afraid of 😞 One of the bloggers posted a review from a club level room that cost like $800/night with view of a roof with a steam pipe from a laundry room. Not super appealing.
BUT, Poly is a construction zone and will be for a long time. It would be a real bummer to pay this much and end up staring at a construction fence.
Do you know if there is an estimated end to the construction time frame? I had been assuming it would be done by Feb 2024 when we're planning to go, but haven't looked into it at all.
How about Swan Reserve? You can book a balcony category room. Swolphin have a ton of food options. Another option would be Contemporary main building.
I'll look into it! But the transportation situation from the Swan didn't seem as ideal as Poly or YC and the pools here don't look as fun for toddlers (like I don't think they have splash pads, plus the general vibe seems more adult). I've stayed at the Dolphin on an adult only trip and loved it though. With all of the resorts at WDW, I'm having trouble believing I can't find one that checks all my boxes (because I feel like they're probably pretty common to parents with young kids, who must make up a lot of WDW guests!), but maybe I have too many boxes to check....

With all of the resorts at WDW, I'm having trouble believing I can't find one that checks all my boxes (because I feel like they're probably pretty common to parents with young kids, who must make up a lot of WDW guests!), but maybe I have too many boxes to check....
The quick service at a deluxe will be the hardest box to check. Captain Cooks is pretty good, but it's nothing like the food courts of port orleans or any of the values.

I would not do the YC or BC if you plan on pool time in the afternoon. Stormalong Bay is fun and a little crazy, not really great for a little one. And it can be absolutely impossible to get chairs together in the afternoon. And as others have said, no splash pad. Look into the WIlderness Lodge, all rooms have balconies and they do have a good Club Level there. You would have to rely on busses to most parks, and there is a boat to the MK. It has 2 great pools and a splash pad. Quick service is good and Geyser Point is fantastic.

Do you know if there is an estimated end to the construction time frame? I had been assuming it would be done by Feb 2024 when we're planning to go, but haven't looked into it at all.
Poly2 is scheduled to open "late 2024." So you could really be in peak construction mess.

Swolphin transportation is the same to Epcot/HS. You could walk over to the BW buses, if you wanted for MK. It's not that far.

Contemporary might be a cool solution, now that's a neat balcony view.

When we checked in, we were in a room without a balcony, I actually moved rooms the next day because it's a lot of money to NOT have one.
I would absolutely do the same if we went with Poly! I'm curious how often they can't accommodate even if you are willing to move rooms after a day or two. From the browsing I've done on this topic, I've seen a fair number of posts from people who really wanted the balcony who were able to get it if they were willing to move a day or two later.
EDIT: I saw you don't want to do DVC, but honestly I think that part of the resort is in a better spot than those TPV rooms and won't be right next to the tower construction and you can book with cash. Plus it's a shorter walk to the TTC for the Epcot days.
This is good to know that you found TPV rooms were also remote! Someone else also said they're really noisy, which I am worried about. We would travel with white noise but that won't work if it's super loud. I had been assuming construction would be done by the time we went so I had been discounting the benefit of being far from construction, but maybe that is not actually a good assumption. The other downside to these rooms is just that we want two real beds because my toddler will sleep with me in one and my husband will get the other. A pullout/murphy kind of works, but it also kind of kills me not to have everyone in a 'real' bed for these prices....

The quick service at a deluxe will be the hardest box to check. Captain Cooks is pretty good, but it's nothing like the food courts of port orleans or any of the values.
Ugh, I hear you. I was actually pretty set on AoA because my son loves Cars, until I realized there were no balcony/patio options, which is really kind of a dealbreaker for us. That 2 hours between my son's bedtime and my bedtime is the only real vacation I'll be getting on this 'vacation' so I'm not willing to give up the outdoor space and a cocktail 😎

Transportation isn't as ideal as Poly/YC, however WL is lovely and has a splash pad. If you choose Standard-Club Level, you typically get a view of the fireworks. Or, opt for a BWV one-bedroom which, after the refurb, has a murphy bed which is essentially a queen (much more comfortable than a sofa bed). Also, keep an eye on the Beach Club Villa refurb - they are also putting in the murphy bed - that refurb may be done by early 2024. If your toddler can sleep in a sofa bed, any 1-bedroom villa may work for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter