• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poly or Yacht Club with 2.5 yr old?

Check out the splash pad at Port Orleans French Quarter..... and consider the Disney waterparks, they each have great kiddie areas
I was looking at Port Orleans too! It seems like their feature pool (which I think includes the splash pad) may be undergoing a refurb during our intended trip dates, so that's why I had ruled that one out. It's unique that it's a moderate with a splash pad!

OP, what time of year are you planning on going, because Florida is hot and humid most of the time so that separate room in A/C at AoA might be better than a balcony.
We're looking at Feb/March! We're typically "shoulder season" and "low crowd" travelers (to the extent such a thing exists at WDW ;)) I need to go look at the crowd calendar again to nail down specific dates, but I think it shouldn't be TOO bad at that time of year. Last time we went was in early September and that was a big mistake because that is definitely still the heat of summer down there. I recall the weather being fairly pleasant when I've gone in early March before.

Poly Garden View Club Level! Usually this is about same price as non-club theme park view.
  • You guarantee your location in Hawaii building, which is perfect location (and far-removed from construction).
  • The rooms at Poly are so big.
  • Request ground-floor room and now the outdoors becomes part of your room.
  • The club lounge is like your living room. It has a little area with kid-size furniture and TV. Plus breakfast, and snacks and drinks available all day.
  • The pool at Poly is much more manageable for a little one (by that I mean for the parent who is supervising the little one). The splash pad there is top-notch. And Hawaii building is right between the 2 pools.
  • If not going back to parks in evening, view the fireworks from club lounge with the soundtrack playing.
  • Beach view of water parade.
We have the most amazing memories of staying here with our kids when they were really little.
Ok, I think you've sold me on this! My only question for you is on noise level. While I like the idea of being sort of in the ambience on the balcony/patio, I wonder how loud that is IN the room? We will travel with white noise but my son is a very light sleeper so if there are big bangs or what I've heard described as "fog horns" that can be heard in the room, he's unlikely to sleep through them!

Ok, I think you've sold me on this! My only question for you is on noise level. While I like the idea of being sort of in the ambience on the balcony/patio, I wonder how loud that is IN the room? We will travel with white noise but my son is a very light sleeper so if there are big bangs or what I've heard described as "fog horns" that can be heard in the room, he's unlikely to sleep through them!
We never had a problem with noise and have stayed garden view in Hawaii building many times. Once we were upgraded to a park view, and maybe we could barely hear the fireworks or the water parade from inside the room. It couldn't have been much, because I don't remember. We always bring a noise machine, and nothing has ever woken us up there.

If you're in a theme park view in a building closer to the ticket and transportation center, you probably can hear the horn from the ferry. But I don't recall ever hearing it from Hawaii.

I really don't think you'll regret garden view club level.

We never had a problem with noise and have stayed garden view in Hawaii building many times. Once we were upgraded to a park view, and maybe we could barely hear the fireworks or the water parade from inside the room. It couldn't have been much, because I don't remember. We always bring a noise machine, and nothing has ever woken us up there.

If you're in a theme park view in a building closer to the ticket and transportation center, you probably can hear the horn from the ferry. But I don't recall ever hearing it from Hawaii.

I really don't think you'll regret garden view club level.
Perfect! This is what I was hoping to hear. It sounds like this option will miraculously check all our boxes. Really appreciate you finding it for me! :)

I think we're looking for the same things you and your DH were after! Did you ever have any issues getting the room with the balcony at the poly? I would make it my only request and I would be willing to move after a day or two if I had to to get it. I am leaning heavily towards Poly but I know I will be SO disappointed if we don't have a balcony or patio :/

I understand! We always had those same feelings. We did always get our request for full balcony (either 1st or 3rd floor), except for one time we got 2nd floor BUT my kids were older and the balcony wasn't as huge of an issue. I know it's only a request, but I think they try to fulfill. Believe it or not, some people do want the 2nd floor because it's the same floor as the lounge. Not everyone values the balcony. Like right now for us, we don't care as much and my only request nowadays is "daybed" for YC/BC so we can spread out when we sleep. Good luck!!

Ugh, I hear you. I was actually pretty set on AoA because my son loves Cars, until I realized there were no balcony/patio options, which is really kind of a dealbreaker for us. That 2 hours between my son's bedtime and my bedtime is the only real vacation I'll be getting on this 'vacation' so I'm not willing to give up the outdoor space and a cocktail 😎
not that it has the theming of other resorts but have you considered the cabins at Fort Wilderness. have an outside deck and also living room separate from bedroom with bedroom having a door

Definitely Poly. The pool at YC is too big and too overwhelming for a 2.5 IMO. The pool at the Poly is much better.

We did a BC/Poly split last year and my daughter (she was 5 at the time) loved the Poly. She said it was her favorite hotel

ETA: we got upgraded to Poly Garden view club level and the room was really nice. No noise really and the Hawaii building is so nice. It’s close to the boats to MC and a quick walk to the bus stop. Definitely recommend

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter