Poll: Your Recommended Longest Training Run for a First Half

What is your longest recommended training distance for a first timer?

• 8 Miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 Miles

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 10 Miles

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • 11 Miles

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • 12 Miles

• 13.1 Miles

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Other:

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters
I can see me staying with 5k and 10k's. I actually really like the distance of a 10k. Unless I totally bomb and need to redeem myself, I don't think I'll be doing half's anymore. Of course, I do have a time I would like to beat... if I don't, I could see that eating at me. Running in the fall is very hard for me because I coach high school football and during the season I have little to no time. The spring is a much better time for me.

This past weekend I did my final long training run before my first half which is in 12 days. After reading this thread, I decided to try and do the 13.1 instead of a shorter route (10) just so race day wouldn't be the first time I've run the full length.

Happy to report that I was able to do it, did it under the time I was hoping, and I felt pretty good the next day!

Now I'm ready to roll!

I have quit tracking my miles as I plan and run during training. Instead I track my time. My longest runs are 2 hours or so. As I have improved my mileage increases. My thinking being the body knows time and effort not miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter