POLL: Will you buy Poly DVC?

Will you purchase Poly DVC?

• Yes! I'm jonesing for some Poly points

• Maybe. My spouse wants me to buy, though.

• Meh. If I'm bequeathed money by an unknown relative, maybe.

• Not likely. I wouldn't turn down a gift of Poly points, though.

• No! I couldn't drink enough Lapu Lapus to make me buy

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was thinking the same thing. Given that by the very nature of the boards, the people who post here are more likely to be pro-DVC than the average consumer, that ratio seems rather low. Then again, maybe it supports the theory that DVC Poly is not being created to appeal to current DVC members/ traditional TS owners, but Poly owners looking to secure their yearly visit to the Poly.

I hope more of them are excited than what we are seeing here. The true test will be watching what happens once sales begin.

I'm still likely to not buy because of the initial buy-in and speculated point costs. However, I am starting to come around when it comes to my initial reasons to say no. The more I think of it, the more appealing adjoining studios seem. Would it be worth what many believe the point cost will be? Prob not. Familial pressure may lead me to buy GFV if a good deal turns up, but give me BLT any day.

So far, the poll is showing only 15% of viewers to this thread will maybe to definitely buy Poly DVC (granted, it's a small sampling). A full 67% say they won't buy there which gives us a 4.5/1 ratio. Again, this is a small poll, but I'm a bit surprised to see the number who don't plan on buying there.

We're longtime (1993) Dvc'rs. We bought 200 pts back then, and I have never had the urge to add on. This gets us a 2 br for 5-6 nts each summer with our daughters. I always liked walking through the Poly Hotel---kind of had that 70's nostalgic flair, but I'm just not feeling the DVC. No doubt in large part, because I think the points will be $$$$$.

we met with DVC last week and although they are selling GFV right now....Hubby is holding out for the poly......

I do keep considering it, but I doubt we will in the end. Likely high costs & maintenance fees plus we live on the west coast so really, I'd prefer a DVC closer to DLR. I'm firmly in the "tempted, but if I keep my sanity then no" category.

So far, the poll is showing only 15% of viewers to this thread will maybe to definitely buy Poly DVC (granted, it's a small sampling). A full 67% say they won't buy there which gives us a 4.5/1 ratio. Again, this is a small poll, but I'm a bit surprised to see the number who don't plan on buying there.

People who love the Polynesian will buy into DVC there. Seasoned members who value the one bedroom and larger villa won't.

Actually there are 2300 views of this thread. All owners? Repeat views? Call it 1600 unique owner viewers ... 1/64. I think the vast majority of owners have no intentions or finances to buy add ons.

The current prices are so ridiculous that it has surpassed what the average blue collar family can afford(even same gender family's ability to buy in)!
We bought in 1998 when affording Disney was an option.
Our 625 points really look good to us now-(down from a high of 725pts) and gives us a cushion and good flexibility.
Our only regret was not buying the Grand Californian with a 100pt contract after deciding to let slip away.

Scott

Right now I am going as Not Likely (I voted).

It is going to be expensive.

360 studios. I am not so sure there will be much need for the 11 month advantage.

If I am wrong, Ill pick up a resale one down the road.

The current prices are so ridiculous that it has surpassed what the average blue collar family can afford(even same gender family's ability to buy in)!
We bought in 1998 when affording Disney was an option.
Our 625 points really look good to us now-(down from a high of 725pts) and gives us a cushion and good flexibility.
Our only regret was not buying the Grand Californian with a 100pt contract after deciding to let slip away.

Scott

As long as people keep buying, Disney will continue to build and raise prices. It doesn't matter what they can afford!

:earsboy: Bill

I put not likely. We are a family of 5 now so the one bedrooms are the way we go now. I love the room of the 1 bedroom. Also, I am not thrilled with the Poly. It's ok I like the dining options there but to stay there I am just iffy. I love my BLT and AKV. I also really enjoy WL so I will take those and let others buy the Poly.

We were a no, and then DH was rehired as a Cast Member. Checking CM prices now with our guide. May get enough points for every other year (we have Aulani for every 3 years) and rent out our SSR points unless we need room for a big group. We'll see.

For just the two of us, a studio is perfect.

As long as people keep buying, Disney will continue to build and raise process. It doesn't matter what they can afford!

Well stated friends of ours (another same gender family) just bought in at the grand flo after traveling with us for 10 yrs.
Funny thing is they saw no valu in it all those yrs staying in 2 bedrooms to grand villas on our points. Yes we charged them but the got deluxe accommodations.
After realizing a short stay off the cruise line at Pop Century wasn't going to cut it-they really liked our way of traveling but always gripe at the pittance we charged them. DVC accommodations property wide.
Now I laugh at them because they wayyyyyy overpaid but then maybe they were waiting for the Grand Flo.---and got far less bang for the buck!

Scott

I prayed for years for Poly DVC, but between price and the lack of 1 BR units, it's not for us. I am a bit of a cheapskate with my points, and this will be a "splurge" only. I would miss having a full kitchen, washer and dryer and a second room, and one studio let alone TWO will be too pricey. Staying here will be a treat on occasion for a night or two, and for that kind of use, buying points just doesn't make sense given the prices. I will happily enjoy my BCV points, bought at $75 in 2002!

I love the Poly, but I do not love $160/point and the incredibly steep nightly point requirements that come along with it. I certainly wouldn't mind staying in a studio once or twice if things allowed, but I just don't think it's worth it on a continual basis as a result of the steep nightly point requirements.

DVC is getting to a price point where if purchased new, the cost-benefit is becoming non-existent, and the payback period is getting ridiculous. IF someone visits WDW at least once every other year AND they ALWAYS stay at the Poly, then it might make sense to jump in. Otherwise, I think it's going to be a pretty tough sell.

That's not to say that I think Disney will have any trouble selling the Poly. I think we will continue to see their marketing machine work its magic, and a number of well-to-do, uninformed buyers will do their thing, too.

I love the Poly, but I do not love $160/point and the incredibly steep nightly point requirements that come along with it. I certainly wouldn't mind staying in a studio once or twice if things allowed, but I just don't think it's worth it on a continual basis as a result of the steep nightly point requirements.

DVC is getting to a price point where if purchased new, the cost-benefit is becoming non-existent, and the payback period is getting ridiculous. IF someone visits WDW at least once every other year AND they ALWAYS stay at the Poly, then it might make sense to jump in. Otherwise, I think it's going to be a pretty tough sell.

That's not to say that I think Disney will have any trouble selling the Poly. I think we will continue to see their marketing machine work its magic, and a number of well-to-do, uninformed buyers will do their thing, too.
As you suggest, Andrew, it could be a fairly tough sell. However, as others have pointed out on a separate thread, there is credence in the thought that Disney created so many studios at Poly because the required point totals to stay in a studio there don't represent a quantum leap over other resorts. (The bungalows are an entirely different story.) Thus, while the purchase point is still $160, anyone who loves Poly (much like those who rushed to buy VGF) willingly will plop down the money to buy there. The loss of the 1BR concept alone keeps me from ever wanting to buy Poly points, much less the $160 pp. Regarding the bungalow points, a quick calculation for the cost of a one-week stay during Adventure Season slides in at a mere $134,560. That is not a typo.

For this thread's readers' convenience, I'm including a link to one of a few threads where the new Poly points and buy-in cost charts is located (my thanks to DVC Mike):

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3366911

Hey Guys,
I apologize but I haven't read the entire thread. Did I "hear" correctly that the poly dvc will not have any 1 bedrooms?

Eliza

Hey Guys,
I apologize but I haven't read the entire thread. Did I "hear" correctly that the poly dvc will not have any 1 bedrooms?

Eliza

Correct, studios only or the very expensive 2 bedroom water bungalows.

The loss of the 1BR concept alone keeps me from ever wanting to buy Poly points, much less the $160 pp.

You echo the thoughts of many here, including myself. While DW & I have sampled every WDW DVC resort, I can see that it is unlikely that we will ever stay at Poly DVC unless it is a very quick stay in a lower point season.

So not only don't want to buy points, but probably don't want to book there. Pity, since I've always wanted to enjoy a stay at that resort but never have.

facebook twitter