POLL: Who is canceling their cruise due to new CDC advisory on cruise travel?

Who is canceling their cruise due to new CDC advisory on cruise travel?

• I am still going.

Votes: 265 62.5%
  • I am canceling.

Votes: 60 14.2%
  • I'm on the fence about cancelling.

Votes: 99 23.3%

• Total voters
Not cancelling, per se, but not booking a cruise this year either, until they drop the testing protocols and ports stop denying entry to ships. I will not invest in cross country airfare and a hotel room for the chance to be turned away at the port, and I would certainly be unhappy if I ended up stuck on the ship the entire time, unable to get off at ports. All that uncertainty isn't worth it. I told my husband last night that the only people who should be cruising right now are those who can drive to the port and be out no money if they are denied boarding, and who don't want to get off in any ports anyway.

We're supposed to be on the Dream on Jan 31, right at the 30 day mark. As of right now, we're still hoping to go. We'll reevaluate in about 2 weeks and make a final decision in 3. I'm hoping omicron will have peaked and be manageable by then. I've been looking at March and April backup options, just in case.

We're booked on a 7 night for February 26. Everything continues to be so fluid, so we have no intentions to cancel at the moment.

My husband and I would like to cancel but a couple days before Omicron was even on the news, we booked a Restricted GTY room. So that means it’s non-refundable and non-transferable. 😒. If we could, we’d at least transfer our funds to our October cruise.

I’m currently on hold to cancel to cancel my March 7th double dip. I’ve been leaning toward cancellation and have until 1/6/22 to decide - the CDC thing just kind of pushed me to make the call today. My main concern is flying all the way to Florida and then getting turned away due a positive Covid test. I’m also concerned about limited experiences - I’m paying full price and the possibility of areas of the ship being closed, shows not happening, maybe not docking at CC (worst case scenario - but who knows), etc. is just making this cruise and the related stress not worth it. Now, if I were a Florida resident and got a terrific rate and could just drive home for a positive test, I’d probably stick it out.

...the possibility of areas of the ship being closed, shows not happening, maybe not docking at CC (worst case scenario - but who knows), etc...
Is any of that actually a possibility, or just speculation? We just sailed earlier this month and everything seemed to be up and running, but it was my first DCL cruise so I don't have anything pre-COVID to compare it to.

There were obviously little operational changes... dinner menus were on your smartphone, kids club had a time limit, masks indoors, that sort of thing. But the ship seemed fully "open" to me.

Don’t know yet. Planned on Europe in August. It depends on vaccine mandates, vax passports, PCR testing, masks, the economic situation etc etc. My guess is we won’t be sailing.

We've got 3 cruises planned for this year.

One in 3 weeks - waiting to see if things are crazy by then but honestly we live in Florida and I actually think we'd have less of a chance of catching covid on a fully vaccinated/tested ship than we would going to Target here.

The Wish in June, and then Europe in September.

As of now all are still on.

We're sailing Feb. 26 on the Fantasy and we're hoping the Omicron rush will be done by then. I read from an expert that things should get better by then, but you never know. We were actually scheduled to stay at WDW from Feb. 22, but we moved it till after the cruise to limit our exposure. Now we will fly to Orlando Feb. 25 after taking a rapid test the day before and go directly to a hotel close to the terminal. We may test again with an at-home rapid test the next morning just in case.

We sail on Monday. Originally, we were a party of 13 (3 generations with 8 adults and 5 children). Now only us (the grandparents) are going because we are triple vaxxed and don't really do anything but sit on our balcony and drink wine and read when we cruise by ourselves. We have a one bedroom suite so we don't even have to go to the main dining rooms for meals. So, our risk is fairly low. I wasn't comfortable travelling with a fully unvaccinated 4 year old and 4 others between the ages of 7-10 who have only had one dose of vaccine. We have already selected our cruise for this time next year!

We sail Feb 8th. Concierge and PIF so no plans to cancel. However, if we're offered an option to get a full refund, I'd definitely consider canceling. (As it is one of our ports is likely to be a sea day.)
Disney will refund everything if you call them within 2 weeks of your sail date and advise of a positive test or a possible exposure. At this time, there are no questions asked. I just cancelled 4 of 5 staterooms last night, I didn't cancel our suite but I could have, given the circumstances.

Is any of that actually a possibility, or just speculation? We just sailed earlier this month and everything seemed to be up and running, but it was my first DCL cruise so I don't have anything pre-COVID to compare it to.

There were obviously little operational changes... dinner menus were on your smartphone, kids club had a time limit, masks indoors, that sort of thing. But the ship seemed fully "open" to me.

There are reports from people onboard the Fantasy (or maybe Magic) that Vibe and Edge have been closed all cruise due to staffing shortages, and that there is an outbreak among entertainment crew, so it is always a possibility that shows get cancelled, or various offerings or activities like kids clubs or bingo get cancelled.

I mean, if crew have to stop working, there will be ripple effects.

I think the most important lesson of the past nearly two years is that anything, and everything is a possibility.

I was scheduled on the 2/19 MDAS Magic and would have kept that except as a teacher in a school system where the mayor and chancellor are determined to keep us in person I'm terrified of getting to the port and testing positive and being stuck. Nothing to do with the CDC (which IMHO seems to have it in for the industry since they aren't issuing any advisories about flying or amusement parks or such when those are clearly just as likely if not more to be super spreaders).

So I changed my Feb Break trip back to DL and moved the cruise to a 3-night Wish right before my WDW August trip.

Feb 2023 Wish may well become Feb 2023 Dream, but we'll see.

We are scheduled in September and I plan on paying it off next week once it’s 2022 to start meeting my credit card bonus thresholds.

If it sails then we’ll be on.

Last edited:
So far no one seems to be answering the poster’s question: Who is cancelling due to new CDC advisory? I hear a lot of folks cancelling or considering it because of potential closed ports, reduced activities, scaled back entertainment/kids programming/etc. But no one specially because of the CDC advisory. And I totally agree! Level 4 advisory same as traveling to Germany or Italy. And I would do that too. The cruise industry is going to take a beating in the press. They always do. We leave out on the Fantasy this Sunday Jan 2. Looking forward to it but prepared for it to be different. We have done 15+ Disney cruises. We can drive from NC and it’s just wife and I. Don’t really care too much about ports, and kids are grown. We are just hopeful for the Disney experience. I will take my chances on a half full ship run by Disney, with fully vaxxed population, that was tested before boarding. Where is the CDC advisory for going to a Knick game, out to dinner at a crowded restaurant, on a 6 hour cross country flight, packed into a subway train car, etc where none of the vaccine or testing protocols are in place. Wish us luck Sunday. We will report back.

We are suppose to sail January 22, we are driving to the port no flights or hotels to deal with.
We are going forward and hoping we don't get a surprise at the port.
We are a party of 9, all adults are 3X vaxxed, two kids fully vaccinated, we only have our 3 yr old grandson to worry about.
He is good with the mask, but this strain can surprise any of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter