Points for DVC Resorts

MaggieDoodle

Earning My Ears
Do the points change each year? We have 150 points, which we think will be adequate for us to continue our habit of vistiting Disney every other year, assuming that a two-bedroom at Saratoga Springs will always be 243 points for a week. Is that a correct assumption, or do the points go up every year?

Maggie

there is some monor adjustment because of the dates of Easter, Spring Break, etc. Overall, though, a "major" point re-allocation has occured once, at OKW. Other than that, the charts have been stable.

The points can change. As Chuck pointed out, it has happened only once - in 1996 for OKW. In order for any change in point requirements to take place, the overall balance must be maintained, so if points are raised for some dates they MUST be lowered for others.

In the case with OKW, a few nights (mainly weekends) were lowered and others (weeknights) were raised by a few points. Not all villa types were affected and not all dates were affected. For example , Studio points started at 7 point per night and they were raised to 8 pts for value season.

At this point, I don't expect to see much change (if any), but we should all be aware that it is possible and it has happened in the past. In 1996, the changes affected a relatively small number of members (there were about 30,000 of us at the time) and the changes affected only one resort (only VB was open in addition to OKW at that time). Subsequent resort openings have maintained a point structure similar to BWV's preferred view requirements. The purpose of the ability to make such changes is to allow MS the flexibility to adjust to the needs of the members with the goal of encouraging a high occupancy rate at DVC resorts.

Thanks for the great post! My concern was that our 150 points would be enough for us to maintain an every-other-year trip for the life of the contract. I understand that we can buy more points if we find they are not adequate, but I didn't want to think we would have to buy them in order to maintain the level we bought into, if you know what I mean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter