Please help this DL newbie!

We_love_WDW

DIS Veteran
We have been to WDW manuy, many times that we consider ourselves "experts" on everything WDW. This will be our first trip to DL and it is for my DD's 7th birthday. We are going July 12-19, but are only doing 3 days at DL/CA. After reading through some of the threads I am getting very nervous about the crowds. We have been to WDW many times during heavy crowds (summer, spring break, NYE) and have not really waited in line and had a wonderful trip. I would really appreciate any tips, tricks, or suggestions that you can give. Thank you!

Get to the park early. If you have a Magic Morning use it. Take a break during the hottest part of the day, which isn't anything near as bad as FL. Enjoy the evening. Use FP, FP and FP.

Magic Mornings are definitely the way to go. You can get so much done in that extra hour. We can get Fantasyland completely done and then when the rope drops for everyone else we are on our way to do Pirates, HM and ride Splash and collect fast passes for it for later.

Don't miss Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe and ride It's a Small World as it is light years better at Disneyland.

Also don't miss the smaller rides like Storybook Canal Boats and Casey Jr in Fantasyland.

My only other thought is be prepared to go Commando (arrive early and stay late)as the crowds this summer are going to be nuts.

I forgot to add that we are planning on going Friday and Saturday (CA)...is this going to make that big of a difference crowd wise.

I cannot wait to go on small world, Casey Jr train, Storybook Canal...I want to try and do anything that is different from WDW.

I agree with the PP...go early, take a break during the middle of the day by going back to your hotel for a swim/nap, stay late and get FPs

We usually go to DL and when the crowds are too bad we head to CA. Make sure you do that Storybook ride ASAP, I don't think it opens right away but that is one of the slowest moving lines in DL. They only have a couple of boats running and not very many people get on each boat. I think it is worth the wait but be careful it closes early and during the parades.

We have been to WDW manuy, many times that we consider ourselves "experts" on everything WDW. This will be our first trip to DL and it is for my DD's 7th birthday. We are going July 12-19, but are only doing 3 days at DL/CA. After reading through some of the threads I am getting very nervous about the crowds. We have been to WDW many times during heavy crowds (summer, spring break, NYE) and have not really waited in line and had a wonderful trip. I would really appreciate any tips, tricks, or suggestions that you can give. Thank you!

Where are you staying?

How many MMs (or EEs) will you have?

Will your park time be during the end or begininng of your visit?

What time zone are you coming from?

I agree with others that Touring EARLY & knowing how FP works (like the back of your hand) are the two most important components. I also believe WDW vets should pencil in at least 4 days (or 5 days) for a DLR visit THIS summer, instead of 3 days.

.....we are planning on going Friday and Saturday (CA)...

Park Hop each day....one can't logistically work the parks when it's crowded unless you're zigging when others are zagging. The "Sunday is our DL day" is a comment that only a WDWvet/DLRnewbie would say. The parks are steps from each other. Research Hydroguy's FP threads & then read the inevitable summertime touring threads that will be popping up (with the new EE summer hours that have been recently announced).

Have a great time at Walt's Park. (& plan an extra day at DLR). :thumbsup2

Lots of good advice on this thread. Yes, add a 4th day if you can swing it. If not, relax - you won't see everything, but that just means you'll have to plan another trip!

Oh, and I haven't yet seen anyone give the #1 standard advice to WDW Vets -- read Hydroguy's DLR Guide for WDW Vets. It's a must-read for any WDW Vet planning a DLR trip.

-Bob

Crowds are about the same at DLR vs. WDW but have different crowd patterns and low/high days. I've been to both DLR and WDW on days with lines on all major attractions well over an hour. The walkways at DL are narrower than MK so it can feel much more crowded even though ride lines are short.

As already said...PARK HOP! With the two parks right next to each other it takes only minutes to exit one park and enter the other. Treat the two parks as if they're one huge park. If its busy in one, go over to the over for awhile. Some days we'll spend the day at one park, then hop to the other just to see a parade, fireworks, fantasmic, world of color etc.

You can also easily exit the parks into Downtown Disney or one of the resorts to dine. Forget about the hour or so it can take to change locations at WDW. Everythings right at your feet at DLR!

Weekends are definitely more crowded. From Friday afternoon thru Saturday night the parks become more packed. Sunday is a toss up.

Magic Mornings are definitely the way to go. You can get so much done in that extra hour. We can get Fantasyland completely done and then when the rope drops for everyone else we are on our way to do Pirates, HM and ride Splash and collect fast passes for it for later.

Don't miss Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe and ride It's a Small World as it is light years better at Disneyland.

Also don't miss the smaller rides like Storybook Canal Boats and Casey Jr in Fantasyland.

My only other thought is be prepared to go Commando (arrive early and stay late)as the crowds this summer are going to be nuts.

So glad you clarified "going commando" as my thought while reading it at first was very different from what you meant. I couldn't figure out why it would be good at DL lmao.

where are you staying? we are staying at the grand californian

how many mms (or ees) will you have? not sure, we are buying the southern cal. City pass

will your park time be during the end or begininng of your visit? we plan on arriving on thursday, goining to dl on friday for my dd's birthday and ca on saturday. Then going back later in the week.

what time zone are you coming from? we are from the midwest - ca is 2 hours ahead

i agree with others that touring early & knowing how fp works (like the back of your hand) are the two most important components. I also believe wdw vets should pencil in at least 4 days (or 5 days) for a dlr visit this summer, instead of 3 days.

Park hop each day....one can't logistically work the parks when it's crowded unless you're zigging when others are zagging. The "sunday is our dl day" is a comment that only a wdwvet/dlrnewbie would say. The parks are steps from each other. Research hydroguy's fp threads & then read the inevitable summertime touring threads that will be popping up (with the new ee summer hours that have been recently announced).

Have a great time at walt's park. (& plan an extra day at dlr). :thumbsup2

thank you!!!

Lots of good advice on this thread. Yes, add a 4th day if you can swing it. If not, relax - you won't see everything, but that just means you'll have to plan another trip!

Oh, and I haven't yet seen anyone give the #1 standard advice to WDW Vets -- read Hydroguy's DLR Guide for WDW Vets. It's a must-read for any WDW Vet planning a DLR trip.

-Bob

Thank you for the link!

Thank you for the responses. I know it will be crowded, but I am going to love being there! we are so excited. I just hope we can do all the different attractions. I plan on skipping Toy Story Mania, Soarin, Splash, Space, and Big Thunder Mountain.

Like others have suggested stay late at night if you can. Many families leave after fireworks and fantasmic. Crowds are much less later in night.

Save the inside and dark rides for night. Doesnt matter if it light outside for these.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter