Please help me narrow down restaurant list

Carynba

Restaurant advice needed!
My husband and I are going to Disney again this summer with our 8 year old son (who is a great eater and likes fancy restaurants....) and I'm having trouble cutting my list of restaurants. We're not going to be on the Dining Plan. Here are places that the family has agreed upon (that we've been to before):

Ohana dinner (and strong possibility breakfast)
Narcoosee's (tradition to eat there very visit)
Chef de France
1900 Park Fare
(my husband and I also loved Sanaa but my son didn't...)
(Already did Be Our Guest dinner and Boma dinner)

Here are the places that we've been talking about trying but haven't yet been to:

Flying Fish and/or Jiko
Via Napoli
Marrakesh??
Tutta Italia
(Artist Point also looks good...)

The maybe cataegory (been there but expensive...):
Tusker House- probably not going again but do love it
Crystal Palace (only went once for lunch & food was good and my son loved it!)
California Grill (so beautiful, great food, but so expensive)

We're going to Universal first so we will be in Disney for 9 nights. I'd also like to leave a night or two free (to eat something less expensive).

Suggestions??? I really don't want to go to too many signature meals (or pricey character meals) but the truth is we always have such a fantastic time. Can you help me edit this list?

How many meals are you planning on having a day?

From the first category we’ve only been to Jiko, and I would recommend that. We haven’t been to the other but the menu at Via Napoli looks good to me.

From the second category, character meals can be expensive so if you’ve already done them I’d pick something new. Although those are all good choices.

I think some of it also depends on where you are and what’s most convenient too. Do you have an idea of what parks for the 9 days?

I'm primarily planning on making reservations for dinner (we normally enjoy the quick service lunch options and breakfast comes with our hotel). I may do a character lunch or two but as you pointed out, those are expensive. We're going to all of the parks so that's not an issue. We'll have a car and have never found it inconvenient to park hop or to drive to a restaurant. It's just hard to narrow down the list. You're right that I should probably eliminate most of the character meals we've already done, though there will be exceptions. I'm attracted to a lot of the signature restaurants and that's my weakness...

My husband and I are going to Disney again this summer with our 8 year old son (who is a great eater and likes fancy restaurants....) and I'm having trouble cutting my list of restaurants. We're not going to be on the Dining Plan. Here are places that the family has agreed upon (that we've been to before):

Chef de France
1900 Park Fare

Here are the places that we've been talking about trying but haven't yet been to:

Flying Fish and/or Jiko
Via Napoli
Marrakesh??
Tutta Italia

We're going to Universal first so we will be in Disney for 9 nights. I'd also like to leave a night or two free (to eat something less expensive).

Suggestions??? I really don't want to go to too many signature meals (or pricey character meals) but the truth is we always have such a fantastic time. Can you help me edit this list?
So ... you have 9 nights and you want to leave 2 nights free which leaves you with 7 dinners. You already have 4 restaurants you definitely want to go to, so you need 3 more.

I would rank your options:

California Grill
Jiko
Tusker House
Crystal Palace for a late "brunch" BREAKFAST, cheaper and it doesn't get in the way of park touring
Via Napoli
Flying Fish
Artist Point
Marrakesh
Tutta Italia

I would also suggest Yak and Yeti, it and California Grill are the only restaurants that we go to every trip. I also enjoy Coral Reef for the atmosphere and we had a good meal at The Wave in December.

I agree signatures are my weakness too :rotfl:

If you need 3 more and want to do mostly signatures I’d vote for
Jiko
Cali Grill
TH or CP brunch

Have you thought of doing any meals in Disney Springs? Homecomin’ is fantastic.

Thanks, robinb and Raeven! A lot to think about. Really appreciate it.
robinb- You ranked Flying Fish last. My husband suggested that one this morning, pointing out that it's menu is less limited than Jiko. Any reason you listed it last? Bad experience there?
Have you both been to Jiko? Is it that great? We did love Cali Grill....Just concerned about doing so many signatures.
I haven't heard of Homecomin. I'll look that one up!

Well for my 2 cents worth I consider Jiko to be the best restaurant at WDW and so worth a trip to AKL to eat there.

robinb- You ranked Flying Fish last. My husband suggested that one this morning, pointing out that it's menu is less limited than Jiko. Any reason you listed it last? Bad experience there?
Have you both been to Jiko? Is it that great? We did love Cali Grill....Just concerned about doing so many signatures.
It's OK , but it's not as good as it was before the refurb so I guess I'm comparing it to what it used to be. I actually ranked Artist Point as the last signature. I'm not a big fan but I'm not sure why.

I’ve been to Jiko and we had a great experience. I’m a little picky and thought the menu was a bit limited but gave it a go because we were at AKL, and we really enjoyed it.

Definitely look Homecomin’ up! It’s delicious.

I've been to both Jiko's and FF and enjoyed them both immensely. However since getting to AKL is a bit out of the way from the monorail hotels we decided for our next trip we'll try Boma's for dinner and bypass Jiko's. We'll only be @ WDW for 5 or 6 nights next trip so I'm required to edit our food experiences which is annoying, LOL.
We'll still be eating at FF this July but that's due to transport convenience and casts no shade on Jiko's.

Via Napoli for a solid pizza experience @ Epcot's. We tend to get a variety of apps (fritto misto or di verdura, arancia, prosciutto and melon have been tried and found delicious), a salad, individual pizza and maybe a pasta entree or two. Last trip was lasagna and meatballs and spaghetti. The sauces taste like they are made on site and bear no relationship to some commercially available jarred stuff from the supermarket.
Haven't been able to tear our in house pizza fiend away from VN in order to try Tutta Italia.

As far as Marrakesh, I've tried to eat there twice and cancelled twice due to unforeseen circumstances. Still interested and still planning to go. I need lamb and belly dancers, LOL.

Chef de France
1900 Park Fare

Flying Fish and/or Jiko
Via Napoli
Marrakesh??
Tutta Italia

Places you've been talking about but haven't yet been to:
Jiko
Artist Point
Not mentioned, but Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar is a very nice option (no ADRs, though)

Maybe Category:
Cali Grill Brunch - that way you get CG but a different (and perhaps) slightly less expensive meal

Universal:
BiCE - Very, very good and worth the cost (on par with a Signature)

I've been to both Jiko's and FF and enjoyed them both immensely. However since getting to AKL is a bit out of the way from the monorail hotels we decided for our next trip we'll try Boma's for dinner and bypass Jiko's. We'll only be @ WDW for 5 or 6 nights next trip so I'm required to edit our food experiences which is annoying, LOL.
We'll still be eating at FF this July but that's due to transport convenience and casts no shade on Jiko's.

Via Napoli for a solid pizza experience @ Epcot's. We tend to get a variety of apps (fritto misto or di verdura, arancia, prosciutto and melon have been tried and found delicious), a salad, individual pizza and maybe a pasta entree or two. Last trip was lasagna and meatballs and spaghetti. The sauces taste like they are made on site and bear no relationship to some commercially available jarred stuff from the supermarket.
Haven't been able to tear our in house pizza fiend away from VN in order to try Tutta Italia.

As far as Marrakesh, I've tried to eat there twice and cancelled twice due to unforeseen circumstances. Still interested and still planning to go. I need lamb and belly dancers, LOL.
Hi. Thanks so much for your comments. During our last trip, we ate at Boma, which everyone seems to love. My son and I liked it (the food is good) but my husband was critical of it. He was really underwhelmed by the whole experience. It was quite crowded when we went and due to something my son wanted, we had to wait in the long buffet line twice, and then a third time for dessert. In contrast, my husband (and I!) LOVED Sanaa. It's a completely different experience from Boma obviously. You sit at your table and they bring delicious, reasonably priced food. And- there are animals that walk right up the window by your table! If you like Indian food, you would probably like or love Sanaa. Since most people do love Boma, I would suggest trying both (maybe not if you only have 5 days in total-- but definitely down the road!). Since we've eaten at both, that's one of the reasons I'm anxious to try Jiko. But my husband prefers the menu at Flying Fish. Ideally, we'd do both, but we've essentially decided that we definitely want to also go back to Narcoosee's and California Grill.

Hi. Thanks so much for your comments. During our last trip, we ate at Boma, which everyone seems to love. My son and I liked it (the food is good) but my husband was critical of it. He was really underwhelmed by the whole experience. It was quite crowded when we went and due to something my son wanted, we had to wait in the long buffet line twice, and then a third time for dessert. In contrast, my husband (and I!) LOVED Sanaa. It's a completely different experience from Boma obviously. You sit at your table and they bring delicious, reasonably priced food. And- there are animals that walk right up the window by your table! If you like Indian food, you would probably like or love Sanaa. Since most people do love Boma, I would suggest trying both (maybe not if you only have 5 days in total-- but definitely down the road!). Since we've eaten at both, that's one of the reasons I'm anxious to try Jiko. But my husband prefers the menu at Flying Fish. Ideally, we'd do both, but we've essentially decided that we definitely want to also go back to Narcoosee's and California Grill.
Thanks for the heads up on the buffet and great observation. My first choice was Sanaa but DGD cannot tolerate the smell of curry. Told her that her West Indian credentials might be pulled behind that comment ("It smells stinky!") but she just went on to discuss other parts of her heritage as if they might have better taste (or is it smell?) in food. Children are sooo nervy these days:lmao:.

My freshly minted 9 year old sounds a lot like your kiddo. His favorites from our March 2017 trip (he was 8) were Artist Point, Le Cellier, and California Grill Brunch
For our next trip some I'd like to try that we haven't yet are: Jiko (dinner), Boma (breakfast)

From past trips we have also liked Flying Fish so we'll probably do that one again this time.

We all loved Homecoming as well. And surprisingly, the food at Splitsville was really good and we had fun bowling while we ate.

Chef de France
1900 Park Fare

Flying Fish and/or Jiko
Via Napoli
Marrakesh??
Tutta Italia

We love Flying Fish,Jiko( delicious filet mignon), and California Grill. The BEST experience is California Grill on an evening when MK has fireworks. Having the option to go outside and view the fireworks with the music piped in is amazing!
We've tried Tutto Italia and weren't impressed(more like an Olive Garden instead of a fine Italian restaurant). The sauces weren't that tasty. It was just, OK. Via Napoli is a nice option for better tasting Italian food. However, it is very loud.
I wouldn't go back to Artist Point . The service was super slow and we had a later reservation. The food came out cold and we had to wait longer for it to be re-fired.
Cape May Buffet is another good family meal if you love crab legs and seafood.
We always go to Narcoossee's too! Hope you have a great time.

This is probably a little late, and I know it was only in the maybe category, buy going to Tusker House as they are changing from breakfast to lunch is really awesome! They have some pretty great choices for both breakfast and lunch, and going during that in-between time just means you get to try both!

My husband really enjoys signature dining, I'm okay with it, but usually feel it is overpriced and I tend to avoid it, unless it is for an occasion.
Via Napoli would be a great choice, we always get their Quattro formaggio pizza, it is our favorite.
I'd check out menus and see what sounds good and go from there. Check TripAdvisor as well, great amount of info and photos (which can be helpful).

Via Napoli is amazing and not too expensive if you share a larger pizza versus everyone ordering individual pizzas. You mentioned not wanting too many character meals. Ohanas dinner is great. Have you considered Kona Cafe instead for Breakfast? I still crave their Samoan & the macadamia pineapple pancakes!
For cheaper meals, Disney Springs has lots of options. We were very impressed with Deluxe Burgers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter