Please be kind in your responses

It is posts like this that make me grateful my family is snarky and mocks each other.

It has given me a tough skin so I can take other opinions or even rudeness without getting upset.

I just read the upgrade thread. Only one or two responses would I consider only remotely rude and they were just because eye-rolls were used. Probably a good thing OP isn't sticking around.

And, yes, her two posts on here were far ruder than anything anyone said to her on the upgrade thread.

What years did the debate board exist?

It was alive and well in 2000/2001. But I think it went away within a year or two after that. Hmmm...I'm thinking it disappeared during, or just after, an election year. I was SO disappointed. I'm fascinated with the art of debate (not that I'm particularly good at it.) And you know what else? I am open minded and CAN be persuaded. I'm always interested in the viewpoints of others and I find that hearing arguments from all sides makes ME a more intelligent person.

It was alive and well in 2000/2001. But I think it went away within a year or two after that. Hmmm...I'm thinking it disappeared during, or just after, an election year. I was SO disappointed. I'm fascinated with the art of debate (not that I'm particularly good at it.) And you know what else? I am open minded and CAN be persuaded. I'm always interested in the viewpoints of others and I find that hearing arguments from all sides makes ME a more intelligent person.

I can't remember when they closed but I do remember the political debates on THIS board , during an election year, which caused the NO POLITICS rule.

I miss that debate board. Wish they would bring it back . It always fascinates me to hear other people's views. But like the saying goes,
Rottenecards_88764781_78kwz4pfzy.png

I know people like this in real life, too. (My sisinlaw, for one), They ask for your opinion, but really just want you to agree with them. When you don't, they get upset. However, this board in particular has taken it to an art form. Some one posts a "question." They get all types of responses. The OP is given advice that is contrary to what the poster wants to do. She perceives this as criticism and her feelings get hurt. She lashes back on the thread which escalates the cycle. Others state the contrary position more forcefully and things go downhill.

The sad thing is that there is often really good advice being given out, but since it doesn't parallel what the poster wants to believe, they react negatively.

My advice is not to post unless you REALLY want to hear what others think. If someone disagrees with you, stop posting and think about what's being said objectively.

The DISboards are a lot like my place of employment. When you throw out a question, there are some people who are ALWAYS going to be nice to you, no matter what. There are some people who are the curmudgeonly type and are always going to be crusty. Etc. You can't take it personally. It's just the way people are.

When you're around those people long enough you get to know their idiosyncracies. And for the most part you find something to like about each person.

I can understand how it can be overwhelming initially. When you come into a community of any type there is an adjustment as you learn the mores and the habits of the community. It just takes a while.

I don't think the OP should write the DIS off so quickly. I've found it to be much, much more civil than many other online communities! An example: I was called a "*****" <*delete>, on Yahoo! message boards for commenting on something random. Nobody would get away with that here. Try it and you'll see very quickly how well the moderating is done on the DIS!

Maybe we just need a special board on here....could be called "The Total Agreement Board". The responder would have to choose his/her answer from the following list:

1. Me, too!
2. That happened to me, too!
3. I totally agree with you!
4. My husband/wife/child/mother-in-law does the same thing!
5. That's the one I bought!
6. I didn't buy that one, but I wish I had!
7. I would have handled it the same way!
8. Yes, what (fill in the blank) did was tacky!
9. No, what you did wasn't at all tacky!
10. You are absolutely right!
11. You did the right thing!
12. Generic smiley face and/or thumbs up symbol.

Extra !!!'s are optional.

It was alive and well in 2000/2001. But I think it went away within a year or two after that. QUOTE]

I remember it from 2004 when I first got here. That was "some place" and as a newby I walked WAY around it. :eek:

Can I add a very interesting PS to the whole message board conversation?

In the past hour, I've received a number of messages from people at the teache message boards I used to frequent.

Apparently, someone posted, anonymously of course, that I had died.

I haven't posted there since early November, just after Hurricane Sandy. But apparently someone there is still interested enough to kill me off, at least in cyberspace.

And that person is apparently a teacher, or a wannabe teacher.

Scary indeed.

In the past hour, I've received a number of messages from people at the teache message boards I used to frequent.

I haven't posted there since early November, just after Hurricane Sandy. But apparently someone there is still interested enough to kill me off, at least in cyberspace.

Scary indeed.

Or, they impersonate a teacher on the internet :rotfl:

I guess you could take it as a bit of a compliment that they thought killing you off would garner them attention :confused3 :lmao:

A quick message to my stalker, aka "Goodbye" (who quoted from this thread on the other site):

Please get help. Find someone who can help with your anger issues. I've done nothing to you; there was no reason to worry my friends by starting a rumor that I had died. It was a mean thing to do to a lot of people. Find a competant therapist, who can help you find a more healthy outlet for your issues. No one should ever be as unhappy as you apparently are.

My sincere apologies for the hijack.

There was a debate board?????

Oh man, that could entertain my entire day!

That would have been fun to read :scratchin

I know people like this in real life, too. (My sisinlaw, for one), They ask for your opinion, but really just want you to agree with them. When you don't, they get upset. However, this board in particular has taken it to an art form. Some one posts a "question." They get all types of responses. The OP is given advice that is contrary to what the poster wants to do. She perceives this as criticism and her feelings get hurt. She lashes back on the thread which escalates the cycle. Others state the contrary position more forcefully and things go downhill.

The sad thing is that there is often really good advice being given out, but since it doesn't parallel what the poster wants to believe, they react negatively.

My advice is not to post unless you REALLY want to hear what others think. If someone disagrees with you, stop posting and think about what's being said objectively.

Your SIL and one of mine must be related :rotfl:

Maybe we just need a special board on here....could be called "The Total Agreement Board". The responder would have to choose his/her answer from the following list:

1. Me, too!
2. That happened to me, too!
3. I totally agree with you!
4. My husband/wife/child/mother-in-law does the same thing!
5. That's the one I bought!
6. I didn't buy that one, but I wish I had!
7. I would have handled it the same way!
8. Yes, what (fill in the blank) did was tacky!
9. No, what you did wasn't at all tacky!
10. You are absolutely right!
11. You did the right thing!
12. Generic smiley face and/or thumbs up symbol.

Extra !!!'s are optional.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup2 :)

Scary indeed.

On the bright side maybe all of your debts might be cancelled as you've "died". Or at the least, you'll get some nice flowers for your house :goodvibes

I loved the debate board. Nothing like a 5 year old refillable mug in a nonsmoking dvc room meant for 5 while smoking on the balcony, eating peanuts and using your crockpot thread to bring out the best in people. If you added towel animals, saving spots for the parade, lying about your 8 year olds age to get a 3 year old ticket and pool hopping you would have entertainment for a week. I won't even go to nursing in public or canned corn in the parks. This is very calm in comparision.

:hippie:

Oh well said!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Unless you join a small private forum I think that you'll find rude people everywhere. If you look closely though you'll see that most people are nice or at the very least might just have a weird sense of humor. Those actual rude people just stand out way too much.

I would like to apply for the job of "weird sense of humor" I feel I am more than qualified:):rotfl:

I'm so sorry to hear this. R.I.P. We'll miss you :(

This is so true. Sometimes I wonder if there is even mods on here. It seems like they are not very consistent in their weeding out the posts that break the rules.

And then sometimes they decide to choose 1 or 2 people to punish when a thread gets out of control rather than just shutting it down. I had a run in with a mod about a week ago who went on a power trip after I disagreed with their moderating decision because I posted in a thread that I was unhappy, after getting a pm I couldn't respond to without any sort of contact information in it. I think the "no arguing with moderators" rule is ridiculous. And don't be surprised if the mods find this thread and people that posted negatively about them end up with points.

Exactly. I think people can be rude on here sometimes, sure. And I know you mean well, but you say you haven't been a member long and I also think its rude to go to an established place and then try and tell long standing members how to behave.

If a moderator thinks someone is being overly rude, they will let them know. Maybe if you continue to come here and post, one day you can be a moderator.

I agree. Sometimes newbies don't read the FAQ section.

Don't like it. Don't like the mods. Start your own message board. ;)

And PLEASE post the link here ;) I'll totally watch, I mean join!!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter