Planning a Trip in 2019? Let's Share Our Budgets!

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Marionnette, May 30, 2018.

1. caylene44

caylene44 Earning My Ears

I charge everything to my Chase as well so I have quite a bit of points. How do you use them to pay for Disney?? I've only ever redeemed for flights and hotel, wasn't aware I could use them for our trip!

2. Marionnette

Marionnette Children see magic because they look for it

UR points can be used for flights, restaurant GCs, cash or statement credit (to pay for park tickets), car rental, and sometimes Disney hotels will show up on their booking portal but there are always Disney-area hotels listed.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. DisneyMandC

DisneyMandC DIS Veteran

Unfortunately, the UR booking option no longer works. The only thing you can do now is cash them out at a 1 cent value to pay for your trip, which is what I'll have to do.

5. aml3679

aml3679 Sylvester and Sophia's Mom

Well our January 5th trip just got $300 cheaper. They have a special offer for pass holders.

Room only - Port Orleans Riverside (first time there) in a King guaranteed bed = $1600
    Tax for room = $200
    Tips for Mousekeeping = $35 ($5 a night plus $10 on the last day)
    Parking = $0 - we have handicap plates
    Tickets = $0 - we are Silver Pass holders (blackouts for summer and major holidays - not a problem)
    Airfare = $0 - we are only 90 minutes from WDW

Meals = this will be our highest expenses

Breakfast for 8 days - $320

Lunch for 8 days - $320

Dinner for 8 nights - $800

Snacks and Beverages - $320

So,about $1500

Souveniers - $200

Miscellaneous Expenses - going to the movies, mini golf and whatever else comes up - $1000

$4795 - life is too short and it is a vacation afterall

6. HHMcG

HHMcG DIS Veteran

I haven't been back since my original estimate in June.
    We are booked for Jan 15-22. 3 day base park tickets. 3 nights at YC (or AOA, I still have both ressies), 3 night cruise (Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda), 1 night at CR

Costs:
    Flight: $440
    Baggage fee: $126
    Park Tickets: $1501
    Room: $1385 ($967 - 3 nights at YC + $418 1 night at Contemporary)
    Food: $850 (only QS in The World we'll treat ourselves on the cruise)
    Cruise: $3789
    On board expenses: $525
    Excursion: none
    transfer to/from port: $350
    souvenirs: $250

Total: $9216 :rolleyes1

7. yeahdisney

yeahdisney DIS Veteran

Our trip became cheaper due to we need to decrease days. DD's BF will be home from service and he does not like theme parks. So we are going to be at home longer for everyone to visit with him.

Taking off these nights from our trip; dec 29, dec 30, dec 31 and Jan 1- and we had great ADs and FPs.

8. snowwite

snowwite DIS Veteran

We are going in May 2019.
    DD is a CM so we can get into park 2 or 3 days for free but we don’t get ticket until that day so I can’t do fast passes or anything.
    We rented a home with a pool and plan to visit and attend a graduation during the week.
    We had enough points for one free Jet Blue ticket so airfare is $425.
    Car rental $158 for 8 days
    Gas and tolls $75-100
    Parking $100
    FL Sprit home rental for 8 days $860
    Food budget Publix $130-150
    Dining out $500 estimates we have reservations for The Columbia, Paradiso and trying to decide about park dining ADR. I don’t like that you have to pay if you need to change it.
    This visit is me and my husband but taking the adult kids out for meals.

firefly_ris likes this.
  9. firefly_ris

firefly_ris DIS Veteran

Are you referring to something specific? I have edited and cancelled about a million ADRs for my upcoming trip, you don't have to pay to change them.

10. kristenrice

kristenrice NOT just an ambulance driver

UPDATE...

TOTAL Cash Earned: $1376.29 (out of $1650 needed, 83.4%)
    FREE Cash Earned: $289.25 (21%)
    Gift Cards Earned: $628.94 (out of $1750 needed, 35.9% )

TOTAL Earned towards goal: $2005.23 / $3400.00 (58.9%)
    Total of those funds that were FREE: $918.19
    ...45.8% of what I have earned towards my trip budget is FREE money
    ...27% of the TOTAL budget has been accumulated so far for FREE

I anticipate that I will have my entire cash budget acquired by the end of the year. I haven't been doing very good with my Swagbucks but I have earned a LOT of bonuses with my Best Buy Visa. I earned over $100 last month with bonus offers alone. Thanks to those here who turned me on to Dosh...I am now also earning 3-5% at Sam's Club and Exxon/Mobil. It's not a lot, but it's at least another $5 a month that I wasn't getting before.

firefly_ris likes this.
  11. lookame

lookame DIS Veteran

Just so you know with Dosh at the end of the year if you get back $600 or more per the year it will need to be taxed. You'll get an email from Dosh saying you made over $600 and will need to fill out a form when you file taxes.

12. kristenrice

kristenrice NOT just an ambulance driver

Thanks! That's good to know. It's something to shoot for, but I've made only $38 so far so I don't think I will need to worry about it this year.

lookame likes this.
  13. jameyh

jameyh Mouseketeer

Budget update:
    Flight: $864 southwest
    Offsite Room 1/26-2/2 $775 - including the insurance
    1 night at POP 1/25 $145
    Tickets - 7day $1630 undercover tourist
    Car rental - $220 intermediate suv from auto slash with enterprise
    Parking - $132
    Gift cards from BJ's $600 for only $552

Total trip cost : $4318 still under budget!!
    So excited for our trip counting down days to our fastpass window

14. snowwite

snowwite DIS Veteran

When I tried to reserve Crystal palace and Boma I was asked for my credit card to charge me $10 pp if we cancel or reschedule under 24 hours. In the past I e changed ADR if we got stuck in line, traffic or kids got sick or something else unplanned happened. I don’t want to book if there is a chance I’ll be charged $50 for any last minute changes. I discovered I can book at Dis springs without the fee so maybe we will take what we can get in parks or do counter service.

15. Marionnette

If you find yourself unable to keep an ADR and you are less than 24 hours out, you do not get charged if you reschedule the reservation using the MDE app. I've done it plenty of times when our plans changed at the last minute, most recently in October when my brother-in-law tore his meniscus the first day in Disney and ended up in the ER.

firefly_ris and flav like this.
  16. snowwite

snowwite DIS Veteran

Oh ok. My daughter is a CM but not in dining. She thought I would be charged for last minute or day of changes. I can’t use the app as far as I know because we will be staying off site and using her family pass so I won’t have tickets until we arrive at park.

17. Marionnette

You can still use the app, even if you are staying offsite. You don't have to have tickets added to MDE to use it for ADR management, checking wait times or looking up entertainment schedules.

18. snowwite

snowwite DIS Veteran

Awesome! We have not been in a few years. The last time we went The Beauty and the Beast area was just opened.
    I’m sure there are a lot of changes!

19. IceSkatingPrincess

IceSkatingPrincess Forever mourning the loss of SpectroMagic

4 night Disney cruise & 1 night at Port Orleans Riverside. 2 adults, no children.

Fixed Expenses
    Southwest flights: paid with points
    Cruise fare: 2386
    1 night Hyatt MCO: 230
    prepaid tips: 96
    ground transfers: 140
    1 night at Port Orleans: 206

total: 3058 (first $3000 paid with disney gift cards purchased for 8% off) so $2818

Variable Expenses
    Excursions: 182
    Drinks/Tasting Classes: 300
    Additional food: 175
    $657 (using disney gift cards purchased for 10% off, less $100 onboard credit) $501

total: $3319

Sadeesmom and snowwite like this.
  20. virge

virge Mouseketeer

Budget changed again. We went back to 6 nights at POFQ, reducing our resort costs to $1770.

I’m going to wait to reduce the ticket budget until we purchase tickets, so I have a small buffer.

Updated budget goal is $5860

Added $250 (52 week savings challenge, Ibotta, Savings Catcher, Achievement, etc.) to my vacation savings account. I now have $3630 in the account & have paid the $200 room deposit. I need $2030 to reach my current goal of $5860. I’m crossing my fingers I get some Disney money for Christmas, since I will need to average saving $340 a month to make my goal.

21. bapcap

bapcap Mouseketeer

We will be there April 11-20, Port Orleans-French Quarter, 5 adults, 1 child-9 yrs old
    I have reserved a 10 person Illuminations Cruise on Monday evening, April 15
    Since there are only 6 in our party, would anyone (party of 4 or less) like to join us?
    Cost is $37.17 per person. The cruise departs from the Yacht Club Resort, so no entry into
    Epcot is needed.
    Email is katgar8955@att.net