Planning a Trip in 2019? Let's Share Our Budgets!

Updated in new post

We are planning for Spring 2019, dates still up in the air. Traveling with 5 people (3 adults and 2 kids), 7 nights.

Flights - 5 x $250 = $1250**
Hotel - 7 nights x $700 = $4900
Park Tickets - 5 x 7 day tickets w/ PH = $2400
Food Budget = $1500*
Souvenirs = $500*

Dog Boarding = $400
Airport Parking = $75
Supplies and extras = $50

Total expense - $11075
**Savings from miles - $1250
*Projected Savings from SB - $2300

Total out of pocket - $7525
[/QUOT

Question: what is SB?

We're getting really close to our goal! I'm waiting on a shipment of gift cards from Bjs and then I'll make the last payment on our package Now we're just saving for the extras-spending money, tips, and the boutique.

4364.16-stay play dine package at Pop (check)
$234.78-Mideveil Times tickets (check)
$500- uber/lyft (check)
$169- Memory Maker (check)
$947.84- Southwest Flights (check)
$1000-Spending money
$100-lunch for my parents at Sci-Fi (check)
$305-Dining Tips
$300- Bippity Boppity Boutique
$25-First Haircut at Harmony Barbershop

$40-60-knighting ceremony(possibly)

Total-$7945.78 (Boutique and Harmony Barbershop can fall under spending money)
Savings
$660- Gift Cards
$1210- Cash
$31.55-Visa Rewards
$52.67-Change
$4030.18-Paid on package (333.98 left)
$947.84-Flights Paid
$169-Memory Maker paid
$234.78 Paid to Medieval Times

Total Savings-$7336.02
Left to save-$609.76

Latest Updates...

FREE Cash Earned: $172.85
Vacation Savings Balance: $0 (...but only 32 days until we leave for our trip, and when we get back, I will have a number to put here:teeth:)
GIFT CARD Balance: $248.00

That brings me to 12% of my total budget so far saved up in FREE money:cheer2:...and I still have just over a year to save.
OK...Now that I am back from our 2018 trip, I can update the 2019 budget. Unfortunately, we used up all of our "free" gift card money on our dining. I set the dining budget and, I must admit, I came in just about perfect! I underestimated how much the girls would like the booths at F&W so I used the dining card to pay for those items. I *had* planned to use my PayPal (plasma) funds to cover the food booths, but I just let the girls charge everything to their MagicBands. In the end, my dining card was completely used up ($1250.00) and I had to hit my PayPal card for about $47 to cover our final meal.

Here's the CURRENT update for the 2019 trip...

FREE Cash Earned: $266.35 (23% of total cash available is FREE MONEY:thumbsup2)
TOTAL Vacation CASH Available: $1122.94 ($1650 is the target)
GIFT CARD Balance: $481.94 ($1750 is the target)
...46% of the total amount of money I have saved up so far is FREE MONEY:banana:

While I was gone, I managed to earn a BONUS $75 Rewards certificate from BB for spending $1500 in the month of October (car repairs, auto insurance and a few other major expenses popped up on us). I also got ANOTHER bonus offer of $15 if I spend $100 before the end of October (uh...OK, fill the gas tank on the Suburban and buy groceries...DONE!) so I currently have $200 in BB rewards available! I have to get those converted to Disney gift cards ASAP. I was also able to come home with $13 and change leftover on my Amazon account and there was an additional $10 in Fetch rewards that I had ear-marked for my 2018 trip that I didn't need so that, combined with the $10 in MyPoints that I am planning to use towards Amazon, gives me just over $30 already for our grocery order.

We will probably be looking to buy our airfare in late March/early April, or whenever SWA releases their flights. From GRR, they are ALWAYS the cheapest when they are first released. That means I need to have the cash available, which I am pleased to say, I do! In fact, I am just over $500 shy of my cash goal for the trip....with an entire YEAR to save!!...

....but then it hit me...

...We are going to Hilton Head the first week of April 2020:scared1:! That means that I will have just 6 months to save up after returning from the 2019 trip! And, since HHI is not as "Disney" (i.e. you can't use Disney gift cards EVERYWHERE), I will need a more substantial amount of cash for that trip. That means that I really need to make sure that I can keep up with my plasma donations so that I can make sure that I have enough funds available to cover the HHI trip. As long as I can cover it, there is a slight possibility that I will be able to take a F&W trip with my BFF in 2020....stay tuned.

Last edited:
Here's the CURRENT update for the 2019 trip...

FREE Cash Earned: $267.71 (23.8% of total cash available is FREE MONEY:thumbsup2)
TOTAL Vacation CASH Available: $1124.30 ($1650 is the target)
GIFT CARD Balance: $506.94 ($1750 is the target)
...47% of the total amount of money I have saved up so far is FREE MONEY:banana:

This is the most recent update....chugging right along:teeth:

2019 TRIPS:
DISNEY CRUISE LINE 5 NIGHT CRUISE
10 NIGHTS IN HAWAII (Almost free!)

So I have 2 trips planned for 2019 so far - a 5 night Marvel Day at Sea cruise with just one of my sons, and a family trip to Hawaii.

For the cruise I got 10% off with an on board booking, saved probably another 10% using GCs I got with various deals. Will use SWA companion pass for my son, so only pay airfare for myself, and use points for the hotel the night before the cruise. Right now I have 3 nights booked at WDW after because I wanted to get a little more use of my APs before they expire in June, but I am probably going to cancel that and just come home. I want to have a couple days off just staying home and relaxing. Maybe we can go down for a long weekend another time to use the passes...

For Hawaii - I am using points and trying to save as much money as possible and it is so fun to try and get as much as possible on points!

So far, I have only booked one flight - my husband's - from San Diego to Honolulu. First class FREE using HAL points. He has plenty of AA airlines points to fly to SD and he almost always gets upgraded.

But the kids and I will be flying coach. I just got a SWA companion pass and I have over 100k points, so once they start selling to Hawaii I am hoping to use points for myself and bring one of my kids for free. If I have enough points left I can buy a 2nd ticket for my other son. Worse case scenario (I hope), is I will have to pay for 1 of 4 tickets to Hawaii.

I have booked 5 nights in Maui at Wailea Beach Resort using Marriott/SPG points. Then 2 nights in Kauai at Koloa Landing Resort in Poipu using Marriott/SPG points. I plan to use points for our last night before we fly out to stay at a hotel on Waikiki beach.

The thing that is going to cost me the most money is that I want to spend 2 nights at Aulani - which is sooo expensive. With taxes and fees $1400!! I heard that you can't use Chase Ultimate reward points to book with Disney anymore, although I didn't try because I don't want to use up that many rewards points just for 2 nights at a hotel - I'm saving those up for our family trip next year (hopefully a Greek Isles cruise).

Instead I am going to either buy 2 nights through a DVC resale site or go through hotels.com. At hotels.com my husband and I both have a couple hundred dollars credit for one night each, so that would shave about $400 off of the price, and I can probably get GC for hotels.com to shave another $100 off, but still...I am waiting to try and use the DVC site until I nail down the SWA flights because when you book that way the rooms are non-refundable.

Aulani is going to be my biggest expense of the trip, which is so frustrating because I have plenty of points left to book 2 nights at a Marriott or Hilton even, but my kids and I really want to stay at Aulani!!!! If I just booked with points then all 10 nights in Hawaii would be free, and if I end up getting all my flights free that would be an awesome feat!!!

Inter-island flights aren't very expensive and my husband and I have enough HAL points to pay for ours, so we just have to pay for our kids.

I get $250 credit on my Hilton Aspire to pay for airline incidentals, so I can use that to get early bird on the SWA flights, then later I can use it to pay baggage fees on the HAL inter-island flights.

Out of pocket, besides Aulani, we will have food - but let's face it, we'd be eating if we were at home too!! Also, daily resort fees and parking and rental cars. I might be able to find a way to get rental car using points - but not sure if it would be worth it because the rental car usually aren't that expensive.

I'm hoping to do everything, not counting food, for under $2-$2500, but it will depend on how cheap I get Aulani and whether I can get all the plane tickets for free. I am trying to find a cheap way to get from RDU to San Diego to catch the flights to Hawaii. I have a free RT companion on Delta as well as quite a few points saved. The other option is the SWA companion pass - just not sure what will be best. It is really hard for me to determine with SWA though until I see how many points I will need for the Hawaii flights! Just checking every day to see when they tickets will go on sale!! Come on SWA!!!

SB is Swagbucks. There is a huge thread that explains how it works. While it isn't what I'd call difficult, it can be a bit time consuming.

January 2019 Disney Southern Caribbean Cruise for 2
Cruise Fare $2200
Airfare (SW points + fee and EBCI) $124
Pre cruise hotel El Convento $320
Transportation in San Juan $80
Tips and onboard spending
minus OBC and GCs $200
Shore Excursion/tips, etc $500
Miscellaneous spend $400

March 2019 Spring Break trip for 4
5 br Rental home in Reunion $1690
Airfare (SW points) $48
DVC AP (2 trips) X 4 $1200
Rental Car - using CC points 0
Food and Gas $1000

October 2019 fall break trip for 4
5 nights @ Poly with DVC pts $800
Airfare (SW points) $48
DVC AP (2 trips) X 4 $1200
Rental Car-using CC points 0
Food and Gas $600

Grand total for 2019 $10, 410

2019 TRIPS:
DISNEY CRUISE LINE 5 NIGHT CRUISE
10 NIGHTS IN HAWAII (Almost free!)

So I have 2 trips planned for 2019 so far - a 5 night Marvel Day at Sea cruise with just one of my sons, and a family trip to Hawaii.

For the cruise I got 10% off with an on board booking, saved probably another 10% using GCs I got with various deals. Will use SWA companion pass for my son, so only pay airfare for myself, and use points for the hotel the night before the cruise. Right now I have 3 nights booked at WDW after because I wanted to get a little more use of my APs before they expire in June, but I am probably going to cancel that and just come home. I want to have a couple days off just staying home and relaxing. Maybe we can go down for a long weekend another time to use the passes...

For Hawaii - I am using points and trying to save as much money as possible and it is so fun to try and get as much as possible on points!

So far, I have only booked one flight - my husband's - from San Diego to Honolulu. First class FREE using HAL points. He has plenty of AA airlines points to fly to SD and he almost always gets upgraded.

But the kids and I will be flying coach. I just got a SWA companion pass and I have over 100k points, so once they start selling to Hawaii I am hoping to use points for myself and bring one of my kids for free. If I have enough points left I can buy a 2nd ticket for my other son. Worse case scenario (I hope), is I will have to pay for 1 of 4 tickets to Hawaii.

I have booked 5 nights in Maui at Wailea Beach Resort using Marriott/SPG points. Then 2 nights in Kauai at Koloa Landing Resort in Poipu using Marriott/SPG points. I plan to use points for our last night before we fly out to stay at a hotel on Waikiki beach.

The thing that is going to cost me the most money is that I want to spend 2 nights at Aulani - which is sooo expensive. With taxes and fees $1400!! I heard that you can't use Chase Ultimate reward points to book with Disney anymore, although I didn't try because I don't want to use up that many rewards points just for 2 nights at a hotel - I'm saving those up for our family trip next year (hopefully a Greek Isles cruise).

Instead I am going to either buy 2 nights through a DVC resale site or go through hotels.com. At hotels.com my husband and I both have a couple hundred dollars credit for one night each, so that would shave about $400 off of the price, and I can probably get GC for hotels.com to shave another $100 off, but still...I am waiting to try and use the DVC site until I nail down the SWA flights because when you book that way the rooms are non-refundable.

Aulani is going to be my biggest expense of the trip, which is so frustrating because I have plenty of points left to book 2 nights at a Marriott or Hilton even, but my kids and I really want to stay at Aulani!!!! If I just booked with points then all 10 nights in Hawaii would be free, and if I end up getting all my flights free that would be an awesome feat!!!

Inter-island flights aren't very expensive and my husband and I have enough HAL points to pay for ours, so we just have to pay for our kids.

I get $250 credit on my Hilton Aspire to pay for airline incidentals, so I can use that to get early bird on the SWA flights, then later I can use it to pay baggage fees on the HAL inter-island flights.

Out of pocket, besides Aulani, we will have food - but let's face it, we'd be eating if we were at home too!! Also, daily resort fees and parking and rental cars. I might be able to find a way to get rental car using points - but not sure if it would be worth it because the rental car usually aren't that expensive.

I'm hoping to do everything, not counting food, for under $2-$2500, but it will depend on how cheap I get Aulani and whether I can get all the plane tickets for free. I am trying to find a cheap way to get from RDU to San Diego to catch the flights to Hawaii. I have a free RT companion on Delta as well as quite a few points saved. The other option is the SWA companion pass - just not sure what will be best. It is really hard for me to determine with SWA though until I see how many points I will need for the Hawaii flights! Just checking every day to see when they tickets will go on sale!! Come on SWA!!!

I would definitely look into renting DVC points for Aulani!

Going in March and staying at CSR for 9 nights. It will be me, DD9 and DD6

Resort/6 day base tickets - $3200. $545.70 remaining.

Food-$800. Using gift card, $500 saved so far.

Transportation- $400. Driving and hotel if needed.

Souvenirs/Tips: $350

Misc- $89

Total budget: $4839

Planning on going in fall of next year too so considering upgrading to an AP. That would be an additional cost.

September Update:
School trip - goal $2000 cash ($500 - on target!)

Possible Disney trip - goal $810 cash (currently $0, and that's okay)
- Goal $2560 in Disney Gift cards ($1325 - on target!)

I missed my October update, but November update:
School trip - goal $2000 cash ($900 - on target!)

Disney trip - new plan:
Two nights at AoA (daughter is requesting Little Mermaid room) - $401 - paid
Two nights at Poly (my mom always said her dream) - $544 if we can rent DVC in January
2 day base tickets x 3 people = $667.77 - paid
Flights = $614
Dining = $1000
Tips/souvenirs = $370
(hoping to pay for Christmas party with various money making apps)

For a total of $2438.77 (round to $2500) in Disney gift cards (currently at $1595 - on target!)
and $1158 in cash (currently $0, and that's okay)

We are planning a Universal Trip-5 people (2 adults, 3 kids-11, 6, 6)
March 31-April 6
Portofino Bay-garden view 2 Queen room
4 day tickets park-to-park (buy 2, get 2 free) (may upgrade to annual passes)
Package for room and tickets-$4195.34
Transportation (Driving-gas and parking and meals on the road)-$400
Souvenirs-$500 (already bought the kids $100 gift cards each, will give them as Christmas present)
Will buy some snacks food for the room (not factored into budget because I would be buying groceries that week anyhow)
Dining-$1,204.66
Total $6300

Added $225 (52 week savings challenge, Ibotta, Walmart Savings Catcher, etc.) to my vacation savings account. I now have $3028 in the account. I need $2672 to reach my current goal of $5700.

Added $350 (52 week savings challenge, Ibotta, Savings Catcher, birthday money, etc.) to my vacation savings account. I now have $3379 in the account. I need $2321 to reach my current goal of $5700. With the holidays coming up, I will definitely need to stay on track with my savings efforts to meet that goal. I hope to book our rooms next week. Crossing my fingers the budget doesn’t go up!

Trying to keep expenses to a minimum but still have a fun experience. Traveling as a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids), 03.30.2019-04.07.2019:

8 nights at Pop Century with AP discount - $1088.51
Parking fee at Pop (grrrr) - $117
Tickets (purchased before change) - $1678.68
Gas for driving - $150
Food & Souvenirs - $1000

Grand total - $4034.19

Only have about $2200 outstanding thanks to the room deposit and already paying for the tickets. We also have about $500 so far in credit card rewards saved up. We should be able to cover the rest of the room as well as the parking and gas with what builds up between now and then. I think I may also purchase about $500 in discounted Disney gift cards before we go.

We made our room reservation and I put down our deposit today, so I can begin forming up my budget...

Who & When:
June 2019 trip with my family (4 Disney adults), my sister’s family, & my parents. Each family is paying for their own portion of the trip so my budget amounts only reflect my family’s amount.

Where:
POFQ 7 nights/8 days $2041 (room & parking). This went up from my original estimate, since we added a night.

Tickets: 6 day Park hopper tickets $2190 This went up from my original estimate, since we added a day.

Food/Souvenirs/Memory Maker: $1700 (This is much higher than we spent on our last few trips, but it will be the 1st trip for my sister’s family and I don’t know if we’ll have more sit down meals.)

Transportation:
$200 (driving)

Looks like my updated budget goal is $6131.:scared:

$6131 - $200 (deposit) = $5931 - $3379 (current amount in vacation savings account) = $2552 to save before June.

I'm always budgeting for everything, including for our next Disney World trip, so it seems like a good time to share in the fun on this board!

Who & When: March 28, 2019 - April 9, 2019. My wife, our two daughters (7 & 4), and me. The trip is extra long because there's a chance that we'll take a day or two in the middle to visit with my mother-in-law. Still unclear.

Transportation: I studied airfare costs a ton, but in the end, it still ended up being a bit more than I hoped. Nevertheless, four round-trip tickets from Grand Rapids, MI to MCO for $1,567.84 isn't bad. We'll take Magical Express at WDW and get rides to and from the airport at home, so the airfare is our sole cost.

Where: PVB studio for 12 nights/13 days. We're using our resale-purchased points for the entire stay, using banked points from 2017 and borrowing about half of our 2019 allotment. We never anticipated taking such a long trip, but the kids are the right age, so here we are. Based on my calculations of the annual cost of the per-year cost of points when we purchased, factoring in the upfront cost and annual dues, we're paying $2,619.24 in 2018 dollars. Still feels like an absurdly low cost for nearly two weeks at the Poly.

Tickets: 14-day Ultimate Ticket $2,085.00. We planned on having nine or 10 days at the parks, purchasing a 10-day Park Hopper to accomplish this. When we added the uncertainty and had to schedule a couple of extra days due to family, I was bummed about potentially missing out on a couple of days at the parks. I was poking around on Disboards for a solution and came across a post about UK tickets. It was quite the process to actually get them purchased and it required a UK friend helping us out, but I'll know in a few months whether it actually works. Here's hoping!

Memory Maker: Included in the Ultimate Ticket.

Souvenirs: We rarely purchase items at the parks or hotels, but just to be safe, let's plop $150.00 in here.

Food: Budgeting for food is always tricky: you eat when you're at home, too, so adding to the vacation budget for food is a little strange because most of us don't take a similar amount out of our regular eating budget. Regardless, we plan to spend about $300 on grocery delivery and another $800 on meals (our only scheduled sit-down meals are BOG, Tusker House, and Sci-Fi) for a total of $1,100.00.

TOTAL: $7,522.08

Everything is already paid or saved, so we're ready to rock and roll (despite what the calendar says)!

Who & When: March 2019 7 nights - Solo trip with a possible last minute addition. (Prices are in USD, and just for me)

Airfare: $360 (I'm paying through credits )

Transportation: Uber to and from airports $120 ($60)

Hotel: Disney Swan $900 (If someone decides to join me $450)

Tickets: Canadian 4-day deal $309

Food: Planning on around 2 sit-down dinners, and the rest quick service, plus snacks. $550

Souvenirs:
Maybe $100

Total Solo: $2,339 (without air: $1979)
Total Double: $1,829 (without air: $1,469)

When: December 2019, 4 nights, exact dates pending (I have a package booked, but looking at other options too).

Who: My son, who will be 5, and myself. This will be our 3rd trip in 3 years, all in the fall!

Airfare: $24
(flying on points)

Transportation: $75 (airport parking)

Hotel & Ticket Package: Caribbean Beach Resort - Preferred and 4 day park hoppers $1,955 (room discount bounceback)

Food: $300 (QS lunch/dinner with 1 possible TS meal), $75 (grocery delivery with Instacart for breakfast and snacks)

Souvenirs: $50 (we don't buy much on property)

Other: $50 (dog sitter)

Total Trip: $2,528

I am SO excited right now! We almost have our entire budget saved up! Not only that but we've paid off our package!!!
Saved up
$351.02-gift cards
$1480-cash
$31.55- visa rewards
$52.67- change
Paid off
4364.16- Package paid
$947.84- Flights Paid
$169- Memory Maker Paid
$234.78- Medieval Times Tickets Paid

Total Saved $77631.02
Total needed $7945.78
Total left to save ONLY $314.76

This last $314.76 we don't need per say, it's covering the boutique appointments for the kids so it's super nice to have but if we don't have this last batch saved up it can come out of our spending money.

Heading back to WDW with my folks in June 2019.

Flights: Southwest flights = Rapid Rewards points + 9/11 fee ($33.60) + EBCI ($90-$150 depending on rate)

Lodging: 1 night at MCO Hyatt = "free" ($75 annual fee on Hyatt credit card...already paid...cash would cost around $200)
4 nights at the Villas at the Grand Floridian = $1472 (renting DVC points directly from owner...paid in full)

Park Tickets: 3 5-day park-hoppers from Undercover Tourist = $1359.99 (paid in full)

Dining and Shopping: $1,200 should easily cover us. Already have $124.08 left on a Disney gift card from the last trip, and $37.89 in Disney Rewards Dollars on a redemption card from my Disney Visa.

Extra expenses: 6 nights of boarding my two dogs will be around $260
6 days of premier airport parking will be $108
Eating at MCO on arrival and departure days = maybe $150...obviously depends

So a grand total of about $4800 - $3068.96 already paid in full or saved = $1731.04 left to save up or pay off.

May 2019 - Flower and Garden Festival
me 59, DH 71, DS 24
BCV -5 nights using DVC points
AKV - 4 nights using DVC points
PVD-MCO on Southwest - used points and companion fare. skipped EBCI this time. just have to pay fees
Parking at PVD - approx. $130
Annual Passes - not purchased yet - with DVC discount = approx. $1950 - will buy Disney giftcards @ 5% off with Target RedCard to pay for these
Food - we have one bedroom villas in each resort so I will be cooking/preparing at least two meals a day = $1000?
This might be the first time we rent out our points at SSR - will cover the APs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter