Placeholder questions... (New question added5/2)

Probably with limitations on that. Like cannot be applied with other discounts edit: eg, guarantee with restrictions and others.
Yes, our friends tried to book VGT on our last cruise and use their placeholder but were told they couldn't so just booked GTY using the placeholder. It was close to the 24 months mark so they would have had to just get it refunded otherwise. I think it may have ended up a few dollars more than VGT but this way they were able to at least pick the category that they wanted on GTY for just a couple of dollars more instead of a few hundred. Neither of us had realized this was a restriction until then.

I always book far enough out that *GT rates aren't close to being offered yet.

Can I tack on a Placeholder question to this thread?

I bought a placeholder on my recent EBTA cruise. We disembarked 2 weeks ago today and I haven't received confirmation of it so my TA can book something this November for me.
How long should it take?
I thought it was 10 days after disembarkation?

Thanks!

I bought a placeholder on my recent EBTA cruise. We disembarked 2 weeks ago today and I haven't received confirmation of it so my TA can book something this November for me.
How long should it take?

Thanks!
Seems too long. Do you have a receipt showing you were actually charged?

How long should it take?

Thanks!
Hi...I was on your EBTA cruise...fabulous time! I said I wanted my travel agent to take over the placeholder and they sent it directly to them. I got back a few days ago and I had an email from my TA with confirmation. If you contact your travel agent,they can handle it.

So, yes, I was charged back on May9th!
I shot off another email to my TA just now.

And yes, it was such a memorable trip!

:boat:Morning -

New to "Re-booking" while on the cruise.

So:
1) do we then go thru the dcl app to "book for future cruise"?? what is the name of the field i need to double click on to book a future cruise?
2) then next, do i fill out an .. what "old school" paper request and drop it off at the "Future cruise desk"??
of course, take a pic of it

but then what?:confused3

can some kind soul advise as I will be on my very first Very Merry Cruise November 11.....

TIA!

CHEERS
&
T.T.F.N. Y'ALL:drinking1

Are you wanting to actually “re-book” a cruise you already have booked? I don’t think you can book specific dates onboard, just a “placeholder” which can then be used to re-book once you are home.

Yeah, I'm familiar with holding onto the gift card.

Curious if anyone has been able to book the future cruise certificate with a Disney gift card.
Yes you can. I've done it 5 times already. You can't book onboard or through app.

At guest service, you tell them to create the placeholder. Will be told shoreline will contact after disembark. What I do is wait two days, the proactively call myself. At that point, the PH can be searched and pay over phone with gift card.

Done. ✔️

:boat:Morning -

So:
1) do we then go thru the dcl app to "book for future cruise"?? what is the name of the field i need to double click on to book a future cruise?
2) then next, do i fill out an .. what "old school" paper request and drop it off at the "Future cruise desk"??
of course, take a pic of it

but then what?:confused3

can some kind soul advise as I will be on my very first Very Merry Cruise November 11.....

TIA!

CHEERS
&
T.T.F.N. Y'ALL:drinking1
Once onboard, you will see an option in the app for "Discount off a Future Cruise" or something like that (I can't remember the exact language). Click on that, it will ask for your information and cc number (to pay the $250 'deposit'). Go through those steps, and that will book you a placeholder. No need to go to a desk or fill out a paper form, going through the app takes care of it. you should get an email confirmation, though sometimes that takes a bit to come through. You can also check your credit card website/app to see if the charge has gone through (or is pending) to confirm the transaction occurred. If you booked your 'current' cruise through a travel agent, it will ask you if you want the placeholder to go to them as well.

Note that you cannot book a specific cruise, you are just booking a 'placeholder' for a future cruise. It gets you 10% off the prevailing rate and a reduced deposit for sailings 7 nights or longer. You have to use it within 2 years of the date you purchased it. If you don't use it, you get your $250 back.

Once back on land, you can use that placeholder to book any cruise within the next 2 years (there are some cruises placeholders cannot be used on; usually inaugural cruises/maiden voyages and cruises sailing over a major holiday, like Christmas or New Year's). If you have a travel agent, they will be able to book it for you. If you don't have a travel agent, you will have to call DCL to book (you can't book a cruise using a placeholder discount online).

I hope that helps. It's actually a pretty easy process. And hello from a fellow cruisemate on the November 11 Merrytime sailing! :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm familiar with holding onto the gift card.

Curious if anyone has been able to book the future cruise certificate with a Disney gift card.
Yes, I’ve used a gift card many times to book the placeholder.

A placeholder will be charged to whatever card you have on file. If you want it charged to a different card you have to go to guest services and they will put in a request and take your card information. If you are lucky it all works out.

Exactly! I never sit on hold waiting for someone to get on the phone with Disney. I simply name her as my TA when booking my placeholder and after a simple email, she takes care of the rest.
Hold times are reasonable these days.

So, yes, I was charged back on May9th!
I shot off another email to my TA just now.

And yes, it was such a memorable trip!
It's in the system somewhere. I don't use a TA unless I'm booking a GT rate and then I go through Costco. It's too much of a hassle to have to wait for things I could do myself.

Is there a list of blackout sailings or sailing dates? I’ve made peace with the fact that I’m going to be calling to book but I *really* want see sailings, pricing, room availability, etc before calling.

Is there a list of blackout sailings or sailing dates? I’ve made peace with the fact that I’m going to be calling to book but I *really* want see sailings, pricing, room availability, etc before calling.
Blackout dates are the weeks around Easter. Thanksgiving, and Christmas, and 2 day sailings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter