• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pirates Without Johnny?

I agree. there is something so special about the Pirates films, especially the first 3. The second and third were made simultaneously and when you watch all the making of and behind the scenes specials, the first 3 films just had that lightning in a bottle effect, from the script, the production, the costumes, and of course the anchor holding it all together, the perfect character in Jack Sparrow which brought together all the years of acting experience and skill Johnny had perfected.

Pirates without Jack Sparrow is not Pirates and I wont be going to the cinema or buying the DVD.

I agree - he makes them and I don’t wish to see someone else try and play that character either !!!! Have him do it or nothing at all -,but I really wish he was in it as otherwise I’m not watching

I continually hear people across social media saying, "There is zero chance I'm ever watching another Pirates film without Depp ever." And you know what? Every one of these sheep will still watch because it's Disney and they always watch Disney movies. If these rebooted films are any good and word of mouth gets around, of course they are going to watch these sans-Depp films. :confused3

I continually hear people across social media saying, "There is zero chance I'm ever watching another Pirates film without Depp ever." And you know what? Every one of these sheep will still watch because it's Disney and they always watch Disney movies. If these rebooted films are any good and word of mouth gets around, of course they are going to watch these sans-Depp films. :confused3
I think you underestimate the Johnny Depp fanbase. Back in 2007 I went to the Sweeney Todd premiere in London. Other than Tom Cruise or the Harry Potter films, it was the hardest premiere to get into the audience pens. People slept on the street overnight to make sure to get into the audience pens to get to meet him. He always arrived at premieres early to make sure he got to every audience pen and got to talk to as many fans as possible. All the other people in the film would be in the theatre and he would be still outside signing autographs and meeting fans.

I went to many film premieres that year, and other than Tom Cruise, not one other actor spent as much time with the fans outside the cinema as Johnny Depp. Even the event security people made a comment on it, that they never see any other celeb or famous person choosing to stay that long outside the cinema with the fans.

I mean, it can still be good. I'd prefer to have Jack Sparrow in them too, but I won't write it off if they don't. I'll judge it for what it is - if it looks good, I'll give it a shot.

Funny thing is, as Its Disney, the world premiere will most likely be in a Disney park, just like all previous ones, and they will probably have their Jack Sparrow character make an appearance and be part of the PR. Disney will go all out for the world premiere, just like they have done for the other films. BUT it will be the premieres in other territories that will be interesting to see. The Johnny Depp fans wont turn up, and the premieres wont have the same big pr hype. Opening weekend box office takings will be interesting too, as the Johhny Depp fans boycott. The thing about the Johnny Depp fans, is they go to the film multiple times in the first few weeks of release.

Move away from Jack Sparrow and loose half the target market. The film will make money from the casual film fans, the ones who just want to see a film, but it wont make near the amount it would have with Johnny Depp.

I mean, it can still be good. I'd prefer to have Jack Sparrow in them too, but I won't write it off if they don't. I'll judge it for what it is - if it looks good, I'll give it a shot.
Exactly, Brian. People are going to see Pirates if it's a good film, whether Depp is in it or not.

At this point, I don't think I'm interested in watching another one at all, Depp or no Depp. The first one was great, it all went downhill after that.

A Pirates movie without Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Christopher Depp) is not a Pirates movie at all. However on the flip side, if WDC is going to remove the movie characters from the POC attraction and go back to traditional, I'm all for that.

That being said I am team Depp all the way. I think he has shown that the article written by AH has been detrimental to his career. He has also shown and she has admitted to instigating arguments, assaulting Depp and not allowing Depp to remove himself from arguments as they got more heated. On the other hand Heard has made many accusations but has provided little solid proof that she has ever been physically assaulted by JCD. I am far from a misogynist; but I am a believer in innocent until proven guilty, the #metoo movement has removed the burden of proof and asks people to simply take the word of one person over another without any actual evidence. This is actually detrimental to a free society and like other aspects of #wokeism removes freedoms rather than protect them.

Exactly, Brian. People are going to see Pirates if it's a good film, whether Depp is in it or not.

I certainly think they CAN do it without Jack Sparrow - they just need to have a strong and different vision for the main character. It sounds like Margot Robbie will be playing Redd the Pirate, which can totally work if done right.

It could also be a total disaster, but let's let them make the dang thing first at least.

I think you underestimate the Johnny Depp fanbase. Back in 2007 I went to the Sweeney Todd premiere in London. Other than Tom Cruise or the Harry Potter films, it was the hardest premiere to get into the audience pens. People slept on the street overnight to make sure to get into the audience pens to get to meet him. He always arrived at premieres early to make sure he got to every audience pen and got to talk to as many fans as possible. All the other people in the film would be in the theatre and he would be still outside signing autographs and meeting fans.
This same thing makes me wonder about Fantastic Beasts as well. I know the second film was not well received overall either, so I'm curious if the low box office for the third is more from people's lack of interest in it following the Crimes of Grindewald or if it is people boycotting due to Depp being let go. Have a friend that is a diehard Potter fan that refused to see it (at least in theatres) because of Depp being replaced.

As far as Pirates without Depp, it wouldn't be the same but I think it could still work. I don't want them to recast the part ever as that is Depp's character. He made Jack what he was. However, the movies are fun adventure films themselves and I think the world of Pirates has a lot more stories they could tell. He doesn't even show up for almost 40 minutes in At World's End but the opening sequence with everyone in Singapore was still great and didn't feel diminished at all without him. I hope we could get one more with him as a send off film though. I also feel they should probably limit the big characters like Will and Gibbs in the future too as they are so tied to Jack it would be weird having them there and Jack never showing up.

This same thing makes me wonder about Fantastic Beasts as well. I know the second film was not well received overall either, so I'm curious if the low box office for the third is more from people's lack of interest in it following the Crimes of Grindewald or if it is people boycotting due to Depp being let go. Have a friend that is a diehard Potter fan that refused to see it (at least in theatres) because of Depp being replaced.
Yes exactly. Its called box office draw, which means people will go to a film without knowing anything about the film , genre or topic purely because of one of the main actors. And the same, in reverse, no Johnny Depp in Fantastic Beasts, then the Johnny Depp fans wont go.

I have only seen the first Fantastic Beasts. I loved it, I love everything about the Harry Potter world but I have no interest in any of the rest of the Fantastic Beasts films.

This is why the new Pirates film will do ok, people will go to see Margot Robbie, but her box office draw is far less than Johnny Depp. And the film premieres and the pr for the films wont be as big as when Johnny was involved.

Theres lots out there about the various actors and their box office draw figures. This is just one https://www.the-numbers.com/box-off...ic/lifetime-acting/top-grossing-leading-stars

According to this list, Johnny Depp is number 12 out of 100, Margot Robbie is not on the list

As far as Pirates without Depp, it wouldn't be the same but I think it could still work. I don't want them to recast the part ever as that is Depp's character. He made Jack what he was. However, the movies are fun adventure films themselves and I think the world of Pirates has a lot more stories they could tell. He doesn't even show up for almost 40 minutes in At World's End but the opening sequence with everyone in Singapore was still great and didn't feel diminished at all without him. I hope we could get one more with him as a send off film though. I also feel they should probably limit the big characters like Will and Gibbs in the future too as they are so tied to Jack it would be weird having them there and Jack never showing up.

I don't think his performance with Fantastic Beast was anywhere near as memorable as Jack in Pirates. But right now, I feel like I don't really need another Pirates movie. The last couple haven't been as good. No idea why they would want to go back to this well. It's like Marvel. I feel like it's getting long in the tooth.

There has only been one successful movie from a Disney attraction and let's be honest, without Captain Jack Sparrow and the way he was played by Johnny Depp it's unlikely to have been as big a success as it was. We went to see it the day it opened here, being huge fans of the ride, we were in an audience of less than a dozen people, we decided to see it again the following week as we enjoyed it so much and the theatre was over half full, the following week we decided to go again as we fancied a night at the movies and we got the last two available seats. Word of mouth is the best advert and when you think of the movie, you think of Jack Sparrow as played by Johnny Depp. Disney may think otherwise, but, the rehashing of classic animation into live action movies show the lack of imagination at Disney now.

IMO, the POC movies would not be good without Jonny Depp. He made the movie for us with his quirky Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Even before the trial and legal stuff they had been talking about rebooting the franchise to focus on Redd instead of Jack Sparrow (I believe this was in 2018 when the auction scene got the overhaul)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter