Pineapple allergy. Places to avoid, places that are fine?

japanese maple

Mouseketeer
My allergy is NOT life threatening, but hours long discomfort if I directly ingest pineapple or pineapple juice.

Any places you can think to strictly avoid at Aulani or other tourist spots? Perhaps luaus?

Any restaurants around Oahu (and hotel) which I should be able to easily find pineapple free items on menu?

Unsure how prevalent pineapple is in non-touristy dining. Willing to try all kinds of places. Will be renting a car.

Thanks.

Last edited:
My allergy is NOT life threatening, but hours long discomfort if I directly ingest pineapple or pineapple juice.

Any places you can think to strictly avoid at Aulani or other tourist spots? Perhaps luaus?

Any restaurants around Oahu (and hotel) which I should be able to easily find pineapple free items on menu?

Unsure how prevalent pineapple is in non-touristy dining. Willing to try all kinds of places. Will be renting a car.

Thanks.
It’s not like pineapple is used in every dish served in Hawaii, and it’s not an omnipresent secret ingredient either. I don’t think you have to avoid anyplace. And these days everyone always asks about food allergies, so just tell the waiter when you sit down.

It’s not like pineapple is used in every dish served in Hawaii, and it’s not an omnipresent secret ingredient either. I don’t think you have to avoid anyplace. And these days everyone always asks about food allergies, so just tell the waiter when you sit down.

Thanks.

Like I said, wasn't sure how prevalent the use of pineapple was in tourist (where they think people expect it it) vs local places. We've never been to Hawaii.

Realizing now probably a stupid question.

Please disregard post. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Like I said, wasn't sure how prevalent the use of pineapple was in tourist (where they think people expect it it) vs local places. We've never been to Hawaii.

No stupid questions when it’s regarding your health!

Thanks.

Not stupid at all. I don't have an allergy, so I didn't really pay attention, but I had assumed that pineapple was everywhere as well.

Pineapple isn’t really grown in Hawaii anymore, except at the Dole visitor center as a tourist attraction. Of course it’s readily available, since it’s so associated with the islands, but it’s almost all imported from Mexico.

Pineapple is used in some sauces in Hawaiian dishes with chicken, pork, ham, and fish, but it was not prevalent as there will usually be plenty of other options. Also, some desserts are made with pineapple.

We have a family member with the same pineapple allergy that causes quite a bout of gastric distress. We’ve had no problems at Aulani. Just make your server aware if you are concerned.

Dole does still grow for export and not just at the museum, we go out of our way to a small independent grocer locally who only sells Hawaiian pineapples. They do taste better and sweeter than their counterparts from Costa Rica.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter