Pillowcase Signing Do They Still Do This?

For the sharpies, I had 10 different colors in each bag that matched the iron-on that I had on the pillow and t-shirt. They used every color in the bag! The colors were mixed up all over the items with the same color not together at all. I could not have done better myself. I also got all 10 sharpies back in the bag.

:earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsboy:
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Do you really think that the actual characters sign the pillowcases???? Don't you think that the guest services folks just sign the various character names???

I really do not know who signs them actually. The signatures on my pillowcase are SO DIFFERENT from each other, that if the same person did it I would be surprised. I compared these signatures to the ones we have gotten before in an autograph book at Disneyworld. I am beginning to think each character has a "specific" way they are suppose to sign. I looked at the "terk" signatures on both and they are written identical-all lower case letters and you know they were not signed by the same person. "Dopey" is written with the exact same letters backwards. "Queen of Hearts" the Q is in the shape of a heart. I have never noticed that before, but it is cool that Disney would think to do that. So I guess what I am saying is that my pillowcase looks very much like the characters signatures I got in the parks and it does not look like the same person did all of them. If it was done by one person, then they are good at what they do!
:earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsboy:
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

goofymama said:
Do you really think that the actual characters sign the pillowcases???? Don't you think that the guest services folks just sign the various character names???

I was lucky enough to go to the Princess Breakfast at WDW a few years ago (I'm sure some of you know what I mean by "lucky enough") and we ended up chatting with Belle for a rather long time. (She is my oldest's favorite Princess.)

Among the things we talked about, she told us that in order to be one of the characters you actually have to go to class and learn how to sign the character's name. Certainly you might notice a slight difference from Mickey today and Mickey tomorrow, but they learn to sign the name in the same way so they can be as consistent as possible. They get extra points for adding emellishments (like Pluto sometimes draws a dog bone next to his name, Belle drew a rose, etc). She was also careful not to tell us these things when my daughter was listening in. ;-)

If they actually go through the trouble of training to learn to sign the name, then my guess would be that it's not just someone at Guest Services signing the characters names, but a real character doing it. :)

If you give them the markers, will they give them back with the pillow cases?

Do the Perm. Markers last after you wash the pillow cases?

This is a great idea!

Stefanie

Just back from the 9/10 Western (great weather and calm seas all week, BTW) and here's what we experienced:

Took two pillowcases in a plastic bag with our name and cabin info inside to the Guest Services Desk on on the way to dinner on Saturday night. Asked if they still did autographs and received a "yes, of course" response. They were delivered to our cabin during Friday night's dinner. I assume our cabin steward (Hi Calvin!) placed them inside.

We didn't include Sharpies and all the signatures are in black. The CM put "all the Main Characters" in the description request form that she filled out an dplace in the plastic bag. With that description you get the MIckey/Minnie/Pluto/Donald etc, plus Captian Hook and Smee. You do not get the full complement of Princesses, so if that's important, be sure to specify when dropping your items off.

Also just back from the Magic 9/10 Western, and I had dropped off 4 pillowcases embroidered with the names of each of the kids in our group, plus about 10 different colored fabric markers. At guest services, there is a form they fill out with your info and what characters you want to sign. I was specific about Lilo and Stitch (my DD's favorites) and "as many others as possible". I'm guessing about 20 or so signed. And yes, they returned my markers. My cabin host brought them to our cabin on Friday evening around 6 or 7 PM.

They look great. My DD wasn't too interested in standing in line to see the characters (and DS is only 8 months), so this was a great way to get a really nice momento.

I've never posted a photo here --- but if I can figure it out, I'll post one later.

Kristin

Last Oct. we bought red shirts (instead of pillowcases) for our girls and had the characters sign them with a black sharpie. They look great and the girls love wearing them!

Here is the pillowcase Riley got signed on the Magic Sept 10-17, 2005. She LOVES it.

Rileyspillowcase-lo.jpg

Kristin

We were on the Sept. 24th Magic. Dropped off 2 pillowcases, fabric pens, a note from our daughters (5 & 7), and some candy (as a thank you). The cast member didn't seem happy about doing this at all!!!! He asked how I found out about this. I told him about this board. He stated that people were taking advantage of this service. He stated someone dropped off 14 items the previous cruise. We said we would take any/and as many signatures as possible. Also mentioned one daughter loved Ariel, and the other Cinderella, which was also mentioned in the note. We recieved our pillowcases back with about 5-6 autographs. No princesses. The pillowcases look pretty empty. So sad!!! I guess it depends on who you ask and their mood.

Anyone know how well the sharpies do after many washings? Does the ink fade?

I was on the Wonder at the beginning of the month and I dropped off 2 pillowcases in a zip lock bag - one for my daughter and one for my son. I asked for princesses for my DD AND main characters and for DS only main characters. I also included fabric markers. They told me to come back to Guest Services on Wed night after 10 pm. What I got was 2 identical pillow cases. In pink they signed all the princess names that were on board (Cinderella, Snow White, Mulan, Belle, and Aurora) and on the other side in blue, were all the other characters on board (Peter Pan, Pluto, Goofy, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Lilo, Stitch, Minnie, Mickey, Chip and Dale). Capt. Cook did not sign and maybe a few others but I think we got a nice amount. DS does not want his in his bed, but DS does, so I have the pink side up for her.

I was happy with the outcome.

Stefanie

Thanks for all the great ideas. I plan on taking photomats and a pillowcase with DS name on it. I bought the retractable sharpies for the photomat and the Crayola Fabric markers for the pillowcase.

Do you think I could use painters tape to mask off the 1/4 margin without ripping the photomat? :confused3

I was on that cruise as well. I dropped my zip lock bag off with 10 multi color pens, they all came back in Black, and only a few signatures. I also included a tip and it was still in the bag. i guess they were in a bad mood during that cruise. However, I do appreciate what they did give.

Pat

On my Magic cruise, I saw a supervisor bringing all the finished autographed items to guest services in a big, tupperware storage case! Wow! These are all in additon to the books, etc. that the characters sign at their scheduled appearances!
I've read from some people on these boards that they include phone cards, gift cards, or candy in their Ziploc bags. What a fantastic idea! I think I'll do that next time--reward those CMs who probably have carpel tunnel by now from autographing hundreds of pilllowcases! :idea:

We were on the 9/25 Wonder. We dropped off a pillowcase in a marked ziplock with 2 sharpies on the first night and asked if they still did the signings, and were told yes. So, we didn't have anything in on room on the last night so DH call and asked if it was done and was told yes. When he came back with it he said it didn't even look like they took it out of the bag. They didn't touch it. So, we came back with the sme blank pillowcase we took. I was a little upset, since being told the first night they would do it.

It must have had something to do with when we cruised. Maybe the Magic cast members were busy getting ready for dry dock. Have to admit, I'm envious of 4Smilee!!! Our cast member was clearly annoyed with our request so I am happy to have the few autographs we recieved.

On the August repo cruise I had prepared a zip lock bag with about 10 sharpies and a note asking for princess sigs on two pillowcases (for my princesses below) and the fab 5 on the other (I admit, for me). My son wanted no part of pillowcases...LOL!!! I dropped them off at Guest Service the first night and they were returned to our cabin on the last night and they were just as I had asked. I had enclosed a thank you note and some candy as well.

I had posted on other threads on this subject that it was a hit or miss kind of thing....it is not an "official" event so I do think a lot of it has to do with who is manning the Guest Service desk and how busy the CM's are. It is a shame that someone took advantage of this service by dropping off 14 items...that is just rude.

As I said before, they may stop doing this completely as they have done already if it gets too overwhelming for them to keep up. I feel sorry for the poster who was told they do still do it, yet it was not done...that is sad.

MJ

I had 3 items I wanted to have signed and was afraid I was taking advantage...so, I dropped my photo mat frame at Guest Services (they were really cool about it) and I had my 2 T-shirts signed at the Princess Meet & Greet (I had bought Ts at the Disney Store featuring pictures of Belle, Cinderella and Aurora, so I only needed those 3). Really you can see the same characters over and over so it wouldn't be hard to get your autograph book signed and other items as well. If you do bring a soft item (shirt, pillow case, etc) be sure to bring something hard to put under it for them to write on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter