Pictures of the 2024 Solar Eclipse

I took a little over 400 pics, but decided to quiet the photographer side of me in the big moment. I realized that the big lens on my camera was like a telescope and I was missing a potentially once in a lifetime experience fiddling with settings. So, I shifted to auto and enjoyed.
I'm glad you realized that in time. I spent too much time during my first total eclipse taking photos. It really does distract you from the full import of the moment. I now proselytize for people to minimize their camera time.

Thanks for posting those beautiful photos!

And looking at your photos made me sad I hadn't figured out a filter for my DSLR. I actually was reminded of the crescent idea when I was online at the last minute trying to see if I could find a way to photograph the sun itself. We had fun though, digging through the cabinets for just the right things to play with. Also fired up the Cricut to cut a page full of holes. Since then saw a sunburst shaped item that had "Eclipse 2024" cut from dots to do the crescent shadow thing. Wish I had done that too!

I'm gonna have to eat my Wheaties and try again at age 82!

I went cheap with my filter. The online camera store I prefer had some cardboard "mount" DayStar filters that came with two free pairs of DayStar glasses. I couldn't get the little tabs on it to slide into place and didn't want to bend or crease it, so I used painter's tape to hold it together. It ended up working really well. We were finishing up a college tour during the annular in October and got to see all of the crescents on the ground as we were finishing up. It was reminiscent of what we saw at home during the one in 2017.

I don't think it'll be in the budget, but I'd love to go to Luxor in Egypt in 2027 to witness their 6 min and 22 sec of totality among all of those ancient sites.

I am outside of Toronto, so we had about 98% coverage I think it was. Best pictures were doing a video through eclipse glasses and then screen capturing. I think that was the pink toned one, and then the bright white was taking a pic without the glasses covering the camera lense. We had so much cloud coverage all day, and then just before totality was going to hit just a little ways away from us, it cleared up just enough. It was great to see it, my teenager didn’t realize how rare it was until after it was over. I was younger than he was the last time we had one here. 829A1FF0-6A43-4F8A-9CB7-92F96D25228E.png2DE3FB10-541E-4D8F-9C00-054B2A86F4FF.jpeg

First three photos: The sky between 2:35 and 3:05 yesterday afternoon. Next two: I tried to get pics of the totality. Final four: The darkness during totality.

Attachments

• DSC_4121(968 x 648).jpg
    DSC_4121(968 x 648).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_4123(968 x 648).jpg
    DSC_4123(968 x 648).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_4133.JPG
    DSC_4133.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_4137(968 x 648).jpg
    DSC_4137(968 x 648).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_4139(968 x 648).jpg
    DSC_4139(968 x 648).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_4140(968 x 648).jpg
    DSC_4140(968 x 648).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_4144(968 x 648).jpg
    DSC_4144(968 x 648).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_4145(968 x 648).jpg
    DSC_4145(968 x 648).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_4147(968 x 648).jpg
    DSC_4147(968 x 648).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 0

I took these with my Nikon CoolpixL27.

Attachments

• DSCN1405(1152 x 864).jpg
    DSCN1405(1152 x 864).jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1409(1152 x 864).jpg
    DSCN1409(1152 x 864).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1411(1152 x 864).jpg
    DSCN1411(1152 x 864).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1419(1152 x 864).jpg
    DSCN1419(1152 x 864).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1420(1152 x 864).jpg
    DSCN1420(1152 x 864).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1421(1152 x 864).jpg
    DSCN1421(1152 x 864).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1424(1152 x 864).jpg
    DSCN1424(1152 x 864).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1425(1152 x 864).jpg
    DSCN1425(1152 x 864).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1428(1152 x 864).jpg
    DSCN1428(1152 x 864).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 8
wow those are great pics I was rather disappointed here in wi. With something like 85% view I thought we’d see something really neat like some darkness but nothing out of the unusual temp did go down 3 degrees but I didn’t feel that either.

First three photos: The sky between 2:35 and 3:05 yesterday afternoon. Next two: I tried to get pics of the totality. Final four: The darkness during totality.
The thing about a total eclipse is that a camera isn't as sophisticated as the human eye. People can see prominences and the corona at the same time; with a camera, you have to take photos at different exposures and combine them. I suspect that your camera sensed the overall darkness and overexposed for the eclipsed sun. An understandable confusion for the poor little device!

If you want to see some fantastic eclipse photos made by combining multiple images at different exposure times, google "Wendy Carlos eclipse photos." She earned the cover photo of eclipse issues of Sky & Telescope for years.

DH had a couple cool ones, you can see several flares (red) on one, also included one of the sky over the lake during totality
Beautiful photo with the prominences. What lake is that? Looks like you were in a location where the sun was playing hide and seek with the clouds..

The most interesting thing I found was this flare.
Nice picture! Those solar prominences were really cool looking in person! I have a special telescope that's heavily filtered for Hydrogen-Alpha light to look at the solar chromosphere and see them on any given day, but they don't stand out as dramatically when you're looking at the whole sun in H-A light. Seeing them in with the naked eye during the eclipse is much better, they really stand out in ruby red against the white light of the solar corona.

Nice picture! Those solar prominences were really cool looking in person! I have a special telescope that's heavily filtered for Hydrogen-Alpha light to look at the solar chromosphere and see them on any given day, but they don't stand out as dramatically when you're looking at the whole sun in H-A light. Seeing them in with the naked eye during the eclipse is much better, they really stand out in ruby red against the white light of the solar corona.

Thanks! During totality, I was seeing the most incredible flare on the bottom. It looked like a bright magenta volcano. I wasn't able to capture it in auto (and might not have gotten it even if I played around in manual), but just being able to see it was the victory. I was using a Canon 300mm F/4L lens with a 1.4x telephoto extender. While not the fastest L series 300 prime, it's still my best lens. I know there are so many things that can be built into better telescopes. I have no idea what he bought, but when my dad retired, he invested in a decent one. Unfortunately, it's so heavy (even with the rolling base he added) that he doesn't get to use it much. Certainly not my video, but this news stations captured the flare I was seeing on the bottom. They were filming a few blocks away from me.

Last edited:
I was seeing the most incredible flare on the bottom. It looked like a bright magenta volcano. I wasn't able to capture it in auto (and might not have gotten it even if I played around in manual), but just being able to see it was the victory.

My friend John (the guy all way on the right in the first picture) was taking photographs while we were there. The second picture of the diamond ring effect with red prominences is one of his pictures. (I'm the guy in the green shirt talking, my friend with the red hair and beard owns the property, and that's my youngest son in front of us)
I can't say what photography equipment he's using, but it's nice. I have lots of telescopes, but never take pictures. Seeing it in person is definitely the best! I feel like we won the weather lottery that day, it was the first clear day in a week, and it was spectacular.

FB_IMG_1712744649621.jpgIMG_6707(1).jpg

My friend John (the guy all way on the right in the first picture) was taking photographs while we were there. The second picture of the diamond ring effect with red prominences is one of his pictures. (I'm the guy in the green shirt talking, my friend with the red hair and beard owns the property, and that's my youngest son in front of us)
I can't say what photography equipment he's using, but it's nice. I have lots of telescopes, but never take pictures. Seeing it in person is definitely the best! I feel like we won the weather lottery that day, it was the first clear day in a week, and it was spectacular.

View attachment 850176View attachment 850177

That's a wonderful photo! I by no means have the best camera equipment and I've never embraced it enough to advance beyond novice level. I look for best bang for the buck stuff and sometimes buy used. I also don't know if I enjoy it enough, especially with the rush tied to some types of photography, to justify any more.

It's awesome how many people lucked out with good weather. We experienced the eclipse cloud clearing effect. It was completely overcast with thick clouds when I arrived at my spot. The clouds began to break up shortly before the beginning of stage 1. I took a cloud diary throughout the day with my phone. The collage below is about 1/4 of the shots, but still a decent representation of how our cover dramatically changed. Although, my pic above with the labeled planets is probably a better last frame pic to reflect the full clearing.

IMG_1986.jpeg

Beautiful photo with the prominences. What lake is that? Looks like you were in a location where the sun was playing hide and seek with the clouds..
Erie. There were some wispy clouds around the eclipse, but it didn't really bother us too much. While we were watching in the crescent phase, occasionally a cloud would pass by and blot it out though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter