Pictures of Celebrities

Ducklite,

Is it his fingers? Isn't that a bad sign or something now a days?

zakatak said:
Ducklite,

Is it his fingers? Isn't that a bad sign or something now a days?

It is his fingers. Nothing wrong with what he's doing with them, but I cut them off. Bad me. :(

Anne

MICKEY88 said:
I don't remember if I used flash or not, but that's not the problem shot with a Minolta 9000 and the 4000 autoflash, the exposure was right on the money, the problem is 3fold...first the heavy colored lighting that Hersheypark uses for their stage shows{cause of reflections} 2nd...auto printing machine that tried to turn a black background to 18% grey, which in turn washes out the subject, and causes graininess same as pixilation in the digital world

third a quick scan before I posted these,

the enlargements I have ,and the final prints that went to Little Texas looked much better,

Ah--the printing is probably the cause of what I'm seeing, and would explain it all. Are you shooting digital now? It's great--squeeze off 1000 shots, throw away 980 of them, and life is good! Also lots of heavily colored lights can be a good thing... Case in point:

DSC_0169.JPG

Staind

The best way to get the shot is to block it out so the light is behind the subject.

I'm curious as to why you think yor pic is not technically a good picture...

exposure is good, good use of selective focus, and good framing, hair caught up, shows action...of the moment..

Well, I'm not fond of naturally lit rock band photo's. Personal thing, I'd rather get the vivid colors of the stage lighting and dry ice or liquid fog setting the shot. I have a ton of shots with hair flying. In fact so many that sometimes I feel like it's passe. It's also significantly more challenging to get the shots with the stage lighting, and I like a challenge. :)

Anne

ducklite said:
Ah--the printing is probably the cause of what I'm seeing, and would explain it all. Are you shooting digital now? It's great--squeeze off 1000 shots, throw away 980 of them, and life is good! Also lots of heavily colored lights can be a good thing... Case in point:

DSC_0169.JPG

Staind

The best way to get the shot is to block it out so the light is behind the subject.

Well, I'm not fond of naturally lit rock band photo's. Personal thing, I'd rather get the vivid colors of the stage lighting and dry ice or liquid fog setting the shot. I have a ton of shots with hair flying. In fact so many that sometimes I feel like it's passe. It's also significantly more challenging to get the shots with the stage lighting, and I like a challenge. :)

Anne

yes I'm shooting digital now, it's definitely so much better,,in June I shot over 700 pics at my nieces wedding, it was great to be able to share them with family online the very next day, plus the fact that it cost absolutely nothing to shot them always helps..

the problem with the lighting on the Hersheypark stage is they have it coming from all directions, so there's no way to put it behind the subject..

I used to shoot bands professionally, I had connections with 2 entertainment managers, they both managed bands that played the nightclub circuit from Atlantic City to Florida, with one band from California..whenever one of their bands was near Central PA, they'd call and I'd go shoot action shots while they were performing at night, and set up an afternoon shoot for their formal promo 8x10s.

it got bad when I became close to some of the band members, and I'd end up watching them perform every night for 2 weeks straight 'till 2 AM then go to bed at 3 and get up for work at my day job at 6,

I eventually decided that sleep wasn't highly over rated, and stopped the band photography...LOL

MICKEY88 said:
the problem with the lighting on the Hersheypark stage is they have it coming from all directions, so there's no way to put it behind the subject..

Hershey Park doesn't own or rent a house lighting or PA system. The sound and lights are brought in individually for each show by the artist. Most acts these days have long forgone the standard two truss upstage/single truss downstage with conventional instruments for either entirely intelligent lighting or a combination. Intelligent lighting provides the ability to carry less instruments while still obtaining a creative show. It also allows the lighting designer to place lighting around the stage in more random patterns as intelligent lighting doesn't always require the use of trussing and rig points.

I actually prefer the effect of intelligent lighting on my photo's. The colors have a richer hue and are more vivid, and because there are less instruments there is somewhat less light to begin with, thus less "wash out". The light that they do use is more focused and specific, so there's still plenty to shoot with. :)

When you are in the photo pit you can usually move an inch or two to put the lighting instrument behind the artist for a great backlit effect like the shot I showed above. Here's a photo where I allowed the light to come through for an interesting effect:

PICT0759.jpg

Velvet Revolver

Same shot a second or two later with Slash's leg blocking the lihgt:

PICT0758.jpg

I prefer the first one, others have preferred the second.

This show used a combination of intelligent and conventional lighting instruments.

BTW--They were both taken with a MInolta DiMage Z-1. The earlier shots of Staind and Kenny Wayne Shepherd were taken with a NIkon D-70.

Anne

I don't have any 'famous people' to share, but I have enjoyed looking at the ones posted. Thanks all.....

PS I really appreciate reading the constructive criticism, it helps to see what makes a good picture.
Oh, and I guessed it was the cut off fingers!!! :cool1:

ducklite said:
Hershey Park doesn't own or rent a house lighting or PA system. The sound and lights are brought in individually for each show by the artist. Most acts these days have long forgone the standard two truss upstage/single truss downstage with conventional instruments for either entirely intelligent lighting or a combination. Intelligent lighting provides the ability to carry less instruments while still obtaining a creative show. It also allows the lighting designer to place lighting around the stage in more random patterns as intelligent lighting doesn't always require the use of trussing and rig points.

I actually prefer the effect of intelligent lighting on my photo's. The colors have a richer hue and are more vivid, and because there are less instruments there is somewhat less light to begin with, thus less "wash out". The light that they do use is more focused and specific, so there's still plenty to shoot with. :)

When you are in the photo pit you can usually move an inch or two to put the lighting instrument behind the artist for a great backlit effect like the shot I showed above. Here's a photo where I allowed the light to come through for an interesting effect:

PICT0759.jpg

Velvet Revolver

Same shot a second or two later with Slash's leg blocking the lihgt:

PICT0758.jpg

I prefer the first one, others have preferred the second.

This show used a combination of intelligent and conventional lighting instruments.

BTW--They were both taken with a MInolta DiMage Z-1. The earlier shots of Staind and Kenny Wayne Shepherd were taken with a NIkon D-70.

Anne

you are talking about Hershey Stadium concerts,,

HERSHEYPARK has their own lighting and sound systems in the MUSIC BOX THEATER,Amphitheatre and The VF Outlet Country Grill,, bands that perform in the Amphitheatre, have to come on early their first day in the park to set up and do a sound check with the Hersheypark guy that runs lights and sound.., Little Texas performed inside the park, in the Amphitheatre, lights coming at them from all directions, and once one is seated, they prefer you don't walk around in front of the stage, so these were shot from my seat..

MICKEY88 said:
you are talking about Hershey Stadium concerts,,

HERSHEYPARK has their own lighting and sound systems in the MUSIC BOX THEATER,Amphitheatre and The VF Outlet Country Grill,, bands that perform in the Amphitheatre, have to come on early their first day in the park to set up and do a sound check with the Hersheypark guy that runs lights and sound.., Little Texas performed inside the park, in the Amphitheatre, lights coming at them from all directions, and once one is seated, they prefer you don't walk around in front of the stage, so these were shot from my seat..

OK, sorry, I thought you meant the bigger venues. I generally don't work with bands that I don't have a photopass with full access to a photo pit. But I still say that even with restrictions, you can work around the lighting. It isn't easy, and takes a LOT of practice. I'm shooting Drowning Pool and Dark New Day tonight at Hard Rock Live, should be an interesting show. I'm not all that familiar with Drowning Pool, Dark New Day is a favorite to photograph. :)

Anne

I'm enjoying looking at all these pictures! I used to take pictures of bands all the time (a long time ago lol). Though not always technically great, they make for nice memories. I keep thinking one of these days I'll get back into it. I'm still trying to get used to digital. Anne, it is so true what you said, shoot 1000 pictures and get 20 great shots. Nice not having to spend money on developing those other 800 not so great shots lol.

I wish I had saved a picture on my computer that my husband sent me. My son is a huge Lord of the Rings fan. Well, my husband sends this picture of him and some guy, he said, "Show this to Zachary, he'll get a big kick out of it.". I'm looking at it and don't have a clue who the other guy is. I'm thinking, maybe someone he works with? I call Zach over and tell him Daddy sent this for you, blah,blah,blah. He's looking and doesn't have a clue. My other son walks over takes one look and rattles off a name. Turns out it was one of the actors in LOTR. It was just too funny the way both of us were sitting there trying to figure it out.
We have a bunch of pictures of my husband with different celebraties, but his favorite is one with Paul McCartney.

I stumbled upon this old pic while looking for something else earlier tonight, so I scanned it to share..it's Eddie Murphy coming off of his bus on the Set of The Distinguished Gentleman, parts were filmed in DC, but most of it was actually filmed in the Pennsylvania Capitol..

EDDIEMURPHYB-vi.jpg

Here's a couple shots I took last night at Hard Rock Live in Orlando. This is Dark New Day.

DSC_2700.jpg

DSC_2542.jpg

These were taken with a Nikon D-70, no flash, and I believe I used an 80-200 for both.

Anne

10.jpg

Lt Col Oliver North, Mark Levin, David Limbaugh (Rush's brother), and Sean Hannity

from the Hannity Freedom Concert, an annual event he hosts at Six Flags Great Adventure (the only day of the year I'd ever go there) to raise money for the Freedom Alliance Scholarship for the children of killed servicemen & women.

Geoff M - looks like we shoot the same racing series :cool:

P05-43.jpg

DSC_0849.jpg

Chris Cornell of Soundgarden/Audioslave. The quality has been degraded and watermark across the center as too much of my work ahs been ripped off lately. :(

Anne

ducklite said:
DSC_0849.jpg

Chris Cornell of Soundgarden/Audioslave. The quality has been degraded and watermark across the center as too much of my work ahs been ripped off lately. :(

Anne

do you embed your info in the image to prove it's yours in case of theft..??

MICKEY88 said:
do you embed your info in the image to prove it's yours in case of theft..??

I have started to, and am going back and adding it to all my previous work. It's a shame that it's come to that.

Anne

100_01112.jpg

Thorsten Kaye from Super Soap. I figured he'd look in black and white. :goodvibes

100_01222.jpg

Cameron Matheson at Super Soap.

ducklite said:
I have started to, and am going back and adding it to all my previous work. It's a shame that it's come to that.

Anne

just a sign of the times we are living in....too many people think if it's not chained fast it's up for grabs...

MICKEY88 said:
just a sign of the times we are living in....too many people think if it's not chained fast it's up for grabs...

Ain't that the truth! I just ended up having someone I know kicked off MySpace for using one of my photos without my permission in his profile. I told him to take it down and he refused. I hate when people wag their ignorance of copyright laws in your face.

You've got to fight it when you find it!

Magix said:
Ain't that the truth! I just ended up having someone I know kicked off MySpace for using one of my photos without my permission in his profile. I told him to take it down and he refused. I hate when people wag their ignorance of copyright laws in your face.

You've got to fight it when you find it!

Tell me about it. I just ended up having a girls entire web site removed beause she stole my photo's. What a fiasco. I also got the legal guys at Roadrunner records after her--she had ripped one of their bands CD's and was offering the MP3's of it for download.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter