Picture taking etiquette question?

I once stopped by the side of the road to take pictures of our local nuclear plant. It was dusk, and the sunset had turned the entire reactor vessel pink. Against the blue sky it was an awesome look. I was on a public highway, but within about twenty seconds of me stopping and pulling out the camera, there were three security trucks headed my way with lights on. I left before they could get ot me, but it just shows you how paranoid some places are.
I shoot from the hip alot at disneyworld, and any other places there might be freaky people. Just zoom out, point and shoot. It can work.
While photographing random strangers is okay legally... they might take offense to it. Having the law on your side is a good thing in the end, but when you're running away from a big burly guy and his friends, being on the right end of the law doesnt help much.

Also - people are creeped out if you take pictures of kids (or if people even THINK you are taking pictures of their kids). At disney, it might not be such a big deal, after all there are cameras and kids everywhere. But try it somewhere else and you may have some angry parents thinking you are some sort of perv.

I once stopped by the side of the road to take pictures of our local nuclear plant. It was dusk, and the sunset had turned the entire reactor vessel pink. Against the blue sky it was an awesome look. I was on a public highway, but within about twenty seconds of me stopping and pulling out the camera, there were three security trucks headed my way with lights on. I left before they could get ot me, but it just shows you how paranoid some places are.
I shoot from the hip alot at disneyworld, and any other places there might be freaky people. Just zoom out, point and shoot. It can work.
While photographing random strangers is okay legally... they might take offense to it. Having the law on your side is a good thing in the end, but when you're running away from a big burly guy and his friends, being on the right end of the law doesnt help much.

Also - people are creeped out if you take pictures of kids (or if people even THINK you are taking pictures of their kids). At disney, it might not be such a big deal, after all there are cameras and kids everywhere. But try it somewhere else and you may have some angry parents thinking you are some sort of perv.

I've seen people get creeped out about it at Disney.

When we were on our Eastern Caribbean cruise this past December i was taking a ton of photos at the sail away party on deck, and there was a mother and her young daughter having a fantastic time getting their groove on - and I asked the mother if I could take their picture - and she said "I would rather you didn't" SO - I didn't.

However, I have started keeping a few business cards in my camera bag - and if I take someone's photo, and they know I took it - I will give them a card and say if you want a copy of the photo - e-mail me, and tell me what you were wearing, or some other distinguishing factor, and I'll send it to you!

I have yet to get an e-mail from anyone!

So I think it may be something that matters in the moment - but later on it means nothing.

I am a huge fan of wide shots at the Disney parks that show everyone in the frame - believe you me, you get some interesting photos! :lmao:

I especially like to see an entire crowd exiting a water ride - and getting the from behind photo of an entire family walking away leaving their sloshing wet shoe prints and drips behind! What a great shot! HAHA

I love street photography at Disney, and always snap a few. I much prefer candids, not to be creepy or to avoid confronting or asking, but because I don't want any posing or unnatural behavior. Part of the fun of candid photography is that it shows people doing exactly what they were going to do, unaware of the camera consciously or subconsciously. I've got a dozen or two such shots scattered through my gallery, some of which are favorites even though they aren't technically my best - just because of the expressions, emotions, or places that they show and how those relate to my own experiences at Disney.

I always bring my photography website cards with me, with my site and e-mail, so if I get anyone who asks, or anyone who I do end up photographing with their knowledge, I can give them the card and can post, send, or remove any photos of them on request.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter