Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

I am looking for some help on photographing stars with my A57...I have a cabin in northern PA and it is so dark up there at nights that the stars are just amazing up there. On Saturday night I looked up and saw the stars and got thinking how cool it would be to photograph them. I just don't have the skill set to shoot them, so that is why I am asking for some help.

I am looking for some help on photographing stars with my A57...I have a cabin in northern PA and it is so dark up there at nights that the stars are just amazing up there. On Saturday night I looked up and saw the stars and got thinking how cool it would be to photograph them. I just don't have the skill set to shoot them, so that is why I am asking for some help.

Perfect place for astrophotography as you don't have to worry about light pollution. There are numerous tutorials online you can find using google. Basically, you'll need a tripod and a wide lens, preferably with ability to open up to f/2.8 or faster.

I took these with my Rokinon 8mm 2.8 in my front yard around midnight last summer. I used a flashlight to "paint" the house and trees. You can get very creative with this!

this was a 29 second exposure, f/2.8 at ISO 800.

DSC08767-XL.jpg

this was a 23 second exposure, f/2.8 at ISO 200.

DSC08769-XL.jpg

You do have to be careful keeping the exposure under a certain time or you'll start to get star trails (unless that's what your looking for). Anyway, it seems like your cabin would be a great place to experiment - I'm a bit jealous!

Perfect place for astrophotography as you don't have to worry about light pollution. There are numerous tutorials online you can find using google. Basically, you'll need a tripod and a wide lens, preferably with ability to open up to f/2.8 or faster.

I took these with my Rokinon 8mm 2.8 in my front yard around midnight last summer. I used a flashlight to "paint" the house and trees. You can get very creative with this!

this was a 29 second exposure, f/2.8 at ISO 800.

DSC08767-XL.jpg

this was a 23 second exposure, f/2.8 at ISO 200.

DSC08769-XL.jpg

You do have to be careful keeping the exposure under a certain time or you'll start to get star trails (unless that's what your looking for). Anyway, it seems like your cabin would be a great place to experiment - I'm a bit jealous!

Thanks for the tips. The location we are at was once (and still might be) considered the best star gazing area on the East Coast. We are above Williamsport and Lock Haven. I think the next weekend that I am up there that is what I am going to do (if the weather cooperates with me). I have a tripod and a remote for the camera, so that portion is set. I was thinking about using my prime lens (sony 35mm f/1.8) for the experiment. I also have the kit lens for the camera also. I am leaning more towards my prime lens.

Thanks for the tips. The location we are at was once (and still might be) considered the best star gazing area on the East Coast. We are above Williamsport and Lock Haven. I think the next weekend that I am up there that is what I am going to do (if the weather cooperates with me). I have a tripod and a remote for the camera, so that portion is set. I was thinking about using my prime lens (sony 35mm f/1.8) for the experiment. I also have the kit lens for the camera also. I am leaning more towards my prime lens.

Is it near Cherry Spring State park?
I've heard of that place and they said you can see the milkyway there. Can you recommend to me a decent hotel near the park. That place is in my bucket list next time I visit. Thanks

Is it near Cherry Spring State park?
I've heard of that place and they said you can see the milkyway there. Can you recommend to me a decent hotel near the park. That place is in my bucket list next time I visit. Thanks

My cabin isn't near Cherry Springs (we are about 50 mins from there). Right now unfortunately isn't the best time to go up there because the main road (RT 44) is closed because they are resurfacing the road. The best place for a hotel would be (if there is any) is Coudersport. That would be the closest to Cherry Springs.

My cabins is closer to Hyner Run and Hyner View State Parks, but I know they close the view at dusk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter