Photo Sharing: Olympus, 4:3, Micro 4:3

From my just completed trip.....EPCOT monorail races ahead of an approaching storm

052711WDW004-M.jpg

I'm looking to get a new lens for my 510. Right now, I'm looking at the 35mm F3.5 macro ($229) and the 50mm F2.0 macro ($499).

If I get the 35mm, will I wish that I had just waited and got the 50mm? I'm wanting to improve on portrait/people shots and in lower light. Any pros and cons with these two lens? I'd love to hear your opinions on these lenses or if you have them and how you use them--which would you choose?

Thanks!!:wizard:

I have the 50mm and it's a fantastic lens! I've never used the 35mm but people who do have it seem to like it a lot. Even though the 50mm is f/2.0, I find it's slow to focus in low light. I was trying to use it at a wedding reception once and I got frustrated with it. When I switched back to the 12-60mm lens, I didn't have any problems. That one stays on my camera most of the time.

But I've gotten some nice portraits with the 50mm.

The 12-60 is a bit much out of my price range. Actually, the 50mm is stretching it. I really want to work more on people pictures. Anyone got any good suggestions that I'm probably not looking at for another lens? I've only got the two that came with the 510--14-42mm and the 40-150mm.

Here's a few of my pictures.

PA168971.jpg

P5072346.jpg

P4025868.jpg

I know the baby pic has a little fuzziness to it, but it's REALLY hard getting a picture of a baby/toddler. Thanks for any input---I love looking at all your pictures.

Kim, I've gotten most of my lenses on Craigslist for about half their price new. The lenses I've bought have been kept meticulously and I'm always able to try them out before I purchase. You can't always find what you're looking for right away, but keep your eyes open and eventually they turn up. I waited two years for the 50-200 and jumped on it when I saw it. I actually had a friend go to the bank, take out some cash and go to get it for me, lol.

On the pictures, are you using a tripod?

I just bought a tripod a couple of weeks ago. These pictures were just plain hand held.

I'll keep a watch on Craigs List.
Thanks!
kim

The 12-60 is a bit much out of my price range. Actually, the 50mm is stretching it. I really want to work more on people pictures. Anyone got any good suggestions that I'm probably not looking at for another lens? I've only got the two that came with the 510--14-42mm and the 40-150mm.

Here's a few of my pictures.

PA168971.jpg

P5072346.jpg

P4025868.jpg

I know the baby pic has a little fuzziness to it, but it's REALLY hard getting a picture of a baby/toddler. Thanks for any input---I love looking at all your pictures.

Kim,

Rather than picking up another lens, I'd recommend picking up an external flash. You can get the FL-36R from Amazon for $199. Your portrait of the girl could have benefited from some fill flash to brighten her face, since the sun was coming from behind her. I resisted getting one for a while, but it really improved my photos after I picked it up and now I don't leave home without it. Metz also makes flashes fully compatible with Olympus, but I'm not familiar with them. JoeDif recently picked one up though.

Which lens did you take these with? I haven't tried it much, but a lot of people like the 40-150mm lens as a portrait lens. Try searching over at dpreview.com in the Oly forum to find examples and settings.

I'm with you about baby pics! My grandson is 5 months old now and it's getting a lot more difficult to get clear pictures! A flash would also help in this situation to use a faster shutter speed for less motion blur.

Do you use S-AF for focusing? I always use the center point focusing spot and try to focus on the eye, then recompose if I have to.

I feel like portraits is one of my weak points. I have gotten some I really like, but I don't feel very competent taking them. One thing that I've seen reiterated over and over again and that I try and do now is to take LOTS of pictures. You're bound to get a couple of good ones then.

If you do end up wanting a new lens, keep an eye out for rebates. Olympus offers them at times and places like Adorama and BH Photo will sometimes have them marked down in addition to the rebate. I ended up getting my 12-60mm lens, from Adorama I think, for what used lenses are going for now.

Good luck!

In good light the 40 - 150 can be a really nice portrait lens. In poor lighting I've found that it hunts focus too much to be effective.

I definitely agree with Lynn about getting a flash. It's amazing how just a bit of fill light can really make a portrait pop. As Lynn also said, the Olympus FL36R is a good choice. New they run about $199, used on Ebay about half that. I just got a Metz 50 AF for $239 and really like it but navigating the menus isn't as simple as the Olympus flash.

Thanks for all the help! I have the FL 36R flash--just never occurred to use it in sunlight. I'll definitely practice more with it. I have found that it really takes a while to recharge after each flash. I do use the 40-150mm more when taking people pictures as it works much better and I'll check out the Oly forums you suggested. It's a work in progress, but I love it.

Again, thanks for all your advise!!
kim :wizard:

I've really come to like the 50-200mm SWD as a portrait lens. It can sure knock out the background. I took this portrait of the DW this past Saturday

062511CP009-L.jpg

I'm looking to get a new lens for my 510. Right now, I'm looking at the 35mm F3.5 macro ($229) and the 50mm F2.0 macro ($499).

If I get the 35mm, will I wish that I had just waited and got the 50mm? I'm wanting to improve on portrait/people shots and in lower light. Any pros and cons with these two lens? I'd love to hear your opinions on these lenses or if you have them and how you use them--which would you choose?

Thanks!!:wizard:

Hi!

I have an e-520 and an assortment of lenses (50 mm, 11-22, 14-42, 40-150, 50-200 Non-SWD and 70-300). I had the 35 mm but found that I REALLY disliked shooting with it. My DH on the other hand, who also has an e-520 LOVES it.

I tried the 35 as a portrait lens and found that I had to get to physically close to my subject for either of our likings. I bought it for its macro capabilities and found that I didn't enjoy using it, nor did I get good pics. I have the Oly ring flash and a nice tripod but they didn't seem to help.

As for the 50, I have used it both as a portrait lens and, on occasion, as a walk around and enjoyed it much more.

I found my 35 by doing a google search and looking for the best price. I got it brand new for somewhere around $125. The 50 came off of ebay pretty cheap too. You just have to keep your eyes peeled :-).

The kit lenses are both useful and you can get amazing shots using those lenses and good technique. I second the advice to employ your external flash in your portrait work. I use a 50r and a Fong Lightsphere with the amber dome attached for shooting people portraits.

One important thing to know about me, lest my gear give the wrong impression, I am neither independantly wealthy, nor am I a "pro". But as an extremely dedicated amatuer, and a world class bargain hunter, i wanted to throw myself in on this one :-).

I have enjoyed looking at the pics already shared andhope to add a few to the thread in the near future.

Take care all, help lots of people and have a "Wonder"ful day!

Tisza

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter