Phone Never Opens Room Door

The main issue for me using my phone is battery life. After a day in the parks constantly checking Genie+, stand by queues, mobile food ordering, and messing on my phone to pass wait times, I doubt there'll be any battery left to get me back in the room at the end of the day. I'm taking an active magic band and hopefully that will work for the room door.
We use portable chargers. Have for quite some time. Nothing to do with Disney just a good idea to have. Smart phones use up a lot of battery anyways and last thing I want to do is have a drained battery. These days many chargers are lightweight and small. I often charge when we're eating or in a show.

The main issue for me using my phone is battery life. After a day in the parks constantly checking Genie+, stand by queues, mobile food ordering, and messing on my phone to pass wait times, I doubt there'll be any battery left to get me back in the room at the end of the day. I'm taking an active magic band and hopefully that will work for the room door.
MBs work fine. As do room keys which you can just ask the front desk for if the IT is glitching.

Truly not surprised. It actually could be 100% your phone and 0% MDE. I know that's really hard to believe seeing how wonky MDE is. If this is a case of your the only one with your exact error situation it really may be a situation with your phone and that's a case where they can't fix it. May be a combo of app and settings on your phone that they can not ever replicate. An app that you'd never even think of may be interfering

This whole going to the phone to replace the MB is never going to work for that reason. There are just too many things that can go wrong and too many phone and phone settings to ever figure them all out
It absolutely could be my phone. OTOH, my phone works for everything else including things at Disney and all things that use the wallet to pay for or gain entrance etc. The Hilton app works to open my hotel room at Hilton hotels.

Now, it can be some weird combination of my phone and the Disney app that triggers a unique glitch. I continue to hold to the theory that it's something in my account, because my daughter has the same glitch, and our accounts are connected and her account started as a profile within my account until she was old enough for her own account.

BTW, I received a follow up email from IT which I have not read because I don't want to risk the frustration and this truly has been and continues to be a wonderful trip in all other respects. I figure there is maybe a <5% chance the email contains a fix. Reading it can wait. I gave Disney IT an hour to fix this and that's enough of my vacation time.

Happy Independence Day weekend everyone!

My experience with the old app... was i could open the entrance door to the hotel itself when it was locked but it would not work for my room that was with an Iphone 10. The new app has worked for nothing with an Iphone 12.

Your problem seems to be with the Apple Wallet app. Delete/unlink your Disney stuff from that and just use the MDE app to unlock your room door. Your phone may also be set up to use Apple Wallet as the default whenever NFC is activated. These are both settings YOU control, and Disney can't help you with.

I had the same issue. I fixed it by uninstalling the Disney app, restarting the phone, reinstalling the app and logging in the. It worked fine. I did try logging out and logging back in before attempting to reinstall but that did not work. Hope that helps.

Disney would rather you buy a MB to unlock your room door. 🤔. That's what they are telling guest at the Fort now.

I was there last week and never could get my phone or watch to open the door. Spoke with guest services at the resort a couple of times, but then gave up.
The watch isn't supposed to work. Disney has a note somewhere that the Watch can't be used to unlock the door.

Just noting for the sake of casual readers this thread was from last year. Although ironically I have been having the same issue as the OP on my last few trips (when I go to the room door feature in the app it then oddly switches to an Apple Wallet credit card which of course won’t work to unlock the door). It’s annoying, frankly.

I only brought this thread back from the dead because I fixed the issue I was having and thought you would like to know how I did it.

When it comes to the Apple Watch, it would be great if they allowed the watch to open the room….I’m thankful at least that the watch can let me into the park. I would assume eventually, after talking to many Disney cast members, that this will happen. I no one seems to know when though.

When you put your phone to the reader, it will always switch to the wallet by default. That’s the NFC functionality. However, if you are in the Disney app and in the unlock door screen, it will still work, even though the wallet pops up. You’d think a company as big as Disney would allow the same technology they have at the parks at the resorts….but not yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter