Peritoneal Dialysis

Iheartdopey10

Earning My Ears
My mom just started PD in May and we would really like to take her with us one more time.

Has anyone traveled while doing PD? We're thinking of taking a trip in May, but I'm not sure how this all works. I know we'd get a case for the cycler, but do I have to check that as regular luggage since it's medical equipment? Or gate check it ( I would hate for it to get damaged)? I think the Disney resorts now charge for holding boxes for you at the front desk. We would have about 14 boxes shipped to us. Would I really have to pay $5 a box for them to hold it?

Thanks for any help/suggestions that you can provide!

I would always carry on any medical equipment. And I do not think that Disney charges for medical stuff either. I would definitely call them ahead of time and let them know.

I'm not terribly familiar with PD, but I agree with Lilsia. Assuming it is small enough, carry-on any medical equipment. As long as it is packed separately from the rest of your regular stuff, medical carry-ons cannot be counted against your carry-on allowance. Be sure to inform the TSA agents it is a medical bag. There should be no charge.

And I also agree about Disney. I'd let them know ahead of time that you will be expecting shipment of medical supplies delivered to the resort. But also when you go to the front desk, be sure to mention it again. They should waive any charges.

Enjoy your vacation!

Unfortunately the case for the cycler is about the size of a large suitcase, so it is definitely not a a carry on. :(

Unfortunately the case for the cycler is about the size of a large suitcase, so it is definitely not a a carry on. :(

They won't charge you for a checked bag fee; declare it as medical equipment when you check-in, and I recommend doing it at the counter instead of curb-side. When we've checked a special needs stroller as medical equipment, the airline (Southwest) had a checklist they reviewed, noting how it is packed and any marks already visible, etc. Just be sure to pack it well so nothing rattles around inside. And I'd recommend if you are nervous about damage, take pictures right before that shows the outside case (all angles) and the inside contents.

Enjoy your vacation!

Would it be possible to rent a machine down there? I guess it would be a risk if they didn't follow through at a rental agency for some reason and you didn't get one, or it didn't work, but is it something most medical equipment rental places would have? Then you wouldn't have to worry about hers getting damaged. And then buy the supplies as you need them when you were down there too? Where are you going to keep 14 boxes in your room?

Re: shipping the needed supplies - I have heard that when it is legit medical supplies, Disney has been known to waive the $5 fee for Resort delivery to Bell Services.

As suggested above, I would still reach out to the management team at your Resort directly, and inform them that you will have 14 boxes shipped in - and of course *why*. (since 14 boxes would probably be kind of startling to them for one Guest!:))

I would also work directly with your airline regarding the unit and it's suitcase - most airlines have a "special needs" or "special services" (for customers with disabilities and medical conditions) that can give you the kind of information and guidance you need for this trip.

Thank you for the suggestions. I think the best bet is to speak to Disney and find out about them storing the boxes for us. For the machine, I just hope it gets there safely, I'll assume the airline takes special care of medical equipment.

Thank you for the suggestions. I think the best bet is to speak to Disney and find out about them storing the boxes for us. For the machine, I just hope it gets there safely, I'll assume the airline takes special care of medical equipment.

Do NOT assume this. Chances are pretty good that your medical equipment will be tossed around like every other piece of luggage. Take all precautions you can with packing it well to minimize damage.

A previous poster’s suggestion of renting the equipment if possible is a very good idea.

As a former PD patient (now hemo) DO NOT check your cycler. My Pd nurse said it had to be carried on and to contact the airline beforehand to let them know you would be carrying on the cycler.

As a former PD patient (now hemo) DO NOT check your cycler. My Pd nurse said it had to be carried on and to contact the airline beforehand to let them know you would be carrying on the cycler.
I asked the nurse on Friday and she said 'just check it with your other luggage' hmm. now I'm a little worried. I'll call Southwest before we fly and ask for their recommendation.

Carry it on. Medical equipment does not count against your carry on allowance. Put NOTHING nonmedical in the bag. Never mind how it's handled - what would your mom do if it were misdirected?

Like some others have said, never check your cycler. It is allowed as carry on, even if oversized. You will work with her center to coordinate travel supplies and shipment to the hotel. Be sure she packs supplies for at least 1 day, besides the machine. Her center will also be able to provide you with a dialysis center in the Orlando area to have as a contact, just in case. Please let us know how it all went.

They won't charge you for a checked bag fee; declare it as medical equipment when you check-in, and I recommend doing it at the counter instead of curb-side. When we've checked a special needs stroller as medical equipment, the airline (Southwest) had a checklist they reviewed, noting how it is packed and any marks already visible, etc. Just be sure to pack it well so nothing rattles around inside. And I'd recommend if you are nervous about damage, take pictures right before that shows the outside case (all angles) and the inside contents.

Enjoy your vacation!

Just be sure not to use clothes etc. as part of the packing. Technically, if you have anything in the case (checked or carry-on) that is not medical equipment, the airline doesn't have to waive the fee.

Check with your dialysis center they have somebody that can help you with planing treatment while on vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts