Perfect Day at Coco Cay Report

(I uploaded pictures below but please let me know if you can't see them, and the best way to upload pictures from a MacBook)

This was my first cruise (4 nights/ Miami/ Navigator of the Seas) and we had a balcony room. I did not do as much research as I probably could have.

So we pull up, and the one half of Coco Cay looks very cool, and looks like a lot of fun. Since we have a longer WDW trip in August, the budget for this cruise was modest so we did not book any excursions or anything.

I was mostly looking forward to the nature trail and isolated beach but was quite dismayed to see that the forest is all gone and replaced with industrial buildings and similar. You think I would have expected this when I did not see that part of the island on any maps! It really makes the island look terrible from the boat.

We got off as soon as the gang plank opened at 8am and headed right to South Beach. All throughout the island these was a massive amount of seating and it never felt in any way crowded. South Beach had lots of small fish, large stingrays and a few sharks swimming along. The water stays shallow for a while, so we walked out to about waist deep and watched the animals swim around. I tried following the one shark for a bit, but it swam away real fast. It seemed harmless enough. I made every effort to avoid getting close to the stingrays!

There were chickens and trees, but besides the wildlife in the water, the island did feel somewhat artificial. We also went to the Chill Island section and did some snorkeling. Masks and flippers are $37 for the day. I have been snorkeling one other time in St. Lucia, and it was fun. They had a partial ship wreck with cannons with lots of fish (in particular snapper). There were other fish swimming around as you got out there. Of note, the plane wreck is passed the rope line as it was deemed too far to swim to. I tried to swim there anyway, and my efforts were not appreciated by the staff. So, it pales in comparison to St. Lucia snorkeling, but it was worth it, and the water gets real cold, so it’s a great way to cool down.

My sister and I eat early, so we swam at harbor beach, and then ate at Captain Jacks. Harbour Beach appears to be have been blasted recently and has nice clear water. Captain Jacks was very tasty with typical hamburger, hot dogs, sandwiches, tacos, ect. I did receive a request to take pictures of food and totally forgot. But it was very good. Throughout the island, they have machines with delicious juices, and I particularly enjoyed the mango. It was a nice refreshing treat. After lunch, we went back to South Beach and went in the water some more and read a little bit. Every trip I read a biography of someone from Old Hollywood and this trip featured the screens first Latin lover, Rudolph Valentino!

There is one unfortunate side note, which I am only sharing because people in this forum seem very respectful and pleasant. Perhaps all these cruises keep yous guys relaxed? But about two weeks before the cruise I got these pustules on the back of my head, all down the backside of my head, and was taking several strong antibiotics which made me extremely photosensitive. I did ask the doctor if it was okay to be on a cruise ship and she said yes, especially since I had no fever, and they were clearing up nicely. I always wore a hat, but I burnt up like you wouldn’t believe. I drenched myself in sunscreen about every hour and it was still bad. This is relevant to this, as the lack of real good shade became a problem, and I had to head back at about one. I could just feel anything in the sun really cooking!! (Sorry if this report took a weird turn)

So, we did a little more snorkeling, grabbed a couple of burgers at the Chill Grill and headed back to the ship at about 1pm. The photosensitivity issue as well as nausea hampered enjoyment throughout the cruise, and we would have stayed later if not for that.

Overall, I absolutely loved Coco Cay and it was a Perfect Day. I would like to go on a cruise which includes this stop again. The section where the jungle was destroyed made the island look really artificial from the ship. But Coco Cay is gorgeous from the ground. There is a good amount of wildlife in the sea and ample seating throughout the island. Service was great, and staff was ample throughout. Real intense shade seems very limited, which was a shame. Of course there were plenty of umbrellas, and perhaps they just didn't do it for me. I get the impression that many of the plants are new and will grow in over time (much like Disneyland upon opening). I highly recommend including this in your upcoming cruise.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns!! Pictures are attached below.

59813131_2749537528451327_836640817304043520_n.jpg

60071207_2749537581784655_6552590471158300672_n.jpg

60332264_2749537635117983_9204885011554107392_n.jpg

59920985_2749537288451351_3327748181428535296_n.jpg

60467567_2749537335118013_1482475805517807616_n.jpg

59879288_2749641338440946_2658074432504856576_o.jpg

60188301_10218721622334773_8733868150203875328_n.jpg

59837458_10218719323437302_6212824606328225792_n.jpg

60292202_10218719323317299_6458805079951540224_n.jpg

59541881_10218719322637282_5019848103574896640_n.jpg

59713601_10218718103726810_7435445153747173376_n.jpg
You mentioned that they now have the snorkeling area near the plane roped off limits. Did you ask the lifeguards if you could go there? I have read that there were about 4 reef areas ( Shipwreck, plane, etc.) in the past. are all of those areas out of bounds now.? Trying to determine if it is worth carrying my gear with me to snorkel there? Thanks in advance and for the awesome pics.

You mentioned that they now have the snorkeling area near the plane roped off limits. Did you ask the lifeguards if you could go there? I have read that there were about 4 reef areas ( Shipwreck, plane, etc.) in the past. are all of those areas out of bounds now.? Trying to determine if it is worth carrying my gear with me to snorkel there? Thanks in advance and for the awesome pics.

Thank You!

There are two areas not roped off. Theres the bow of a small ship, and then the side of another which has the cannons.

The plane is roped off, and they do keep you from going there (I tried). I will say it is pretty far out, but they do have floating platforms you can rest on.

I asked them about it, and it was determined it was too far away, but they still prominently show it on maps and things. If you have the room, I might recommend bringing your own gear. The water gets real cool so its a great break if the day is especially hot.

Thanks for the pictures! I haven't been since the new features opened up, but it'll be fun checking them out, although I suspect we'll still just enjoy a nice beach day.

I've seen several comments in this thread about the beach umbrellas and I imagine the procedure is the same as it has been in the past with renting them. Just wanted to point out to everyone, and this has happened in both of our most recent visits to CocoCay, that if it is too windy, they won't rent the umbrellas out. The most recent time it was a beautiful day, but windy enough that they cancelled several excursions that would be affected by the wind (hang gliding by boat tow, etc). I wouldn't say it was so windy that you couldn't enjoy the day, but there was a definite strong, constant breeze. So be prepared with extra sunscreen, clothing, etc....at least its a lot easier now getting back to the ship if you need to pick something up!

If you purchase the deluxe beverage package, are the alcohol drinks on coco cay included or do you still have to purchase them?
They are included. Whatever beverage package you purchase "transfers" to Coco Cay. I watched a video about Coco Cay last night on the unofficial RCL site that was very helpful as we have not cruised in years! You will just need your sea pass.In fact, they don't accept cash anywhere, so those without any beverage packages charge to their sea pass and it goes onto their account. In the video it was stated that some locals sell crafts on the island and that is the only thing you would need cash for.

I hope I am allowed to post the video here. https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/category/category/perfect-day-cococay You have to scroll down to "Things I Wish I Had Known Before Visiting Perfect Day at Cocoa Cay."

Last edited:
They are included. Whatever beverage package you purchase "transfers" to Coco Cay. I watched a video about Coco Cay last night on the unofficial RCL site that was very helpful as we have not cruised in years! You will just need your sea pass.In fact, they don't accept cash anywhere, so those without any beverage packages charge to their sea pass and it goes onto their account. In the video it was stated that some locals sell crafts on the island and that is the only thing you would need cash for.

I hope I am allowed to post the video here. https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/category/category/perfect-day-cococay You have to scroll down to "Things I Wish I Had Known Before Visiting Perfect Day at Cocoa Cay."
Thanks!!

We'll be doing a cruise next February that includes a stop here. Does anyone know if there are places to sit at the waterpark with shade?

DS wanted to check out the waterpark for sure, but we like one of the previous posters didn't want to spend all that much time, meaning a 1/2 day ticket would have been perfect. But 1/2 day tickets weren't offered, so I purchased the full day ticket for me and DS 23 (that's all we saw that were offered). On our cruise these ran $69 pp. This seems a little steep if I compare to waterpark prices for nice waterparks in the continental US for sure (but you are captive on an island). DH and my dad who will also be on the cruise are passing on that for sure for that price. On the other hand, if I compare the waterpark price to what I paid for DS and friend to do the Atlantis water park for a day on a cruise three years ago (last cruise we were on) (ouch - That was crazy expensive - like around $150 a person), the Coco Cay waterpark looks like a bargain.

We'll be doing a cruise next February that includes a stop here. Does anyone know if there are places to sit at the waterpark with shade?

DS wanted to check out the waterpark for sure, but we like one of the previous posters didn't want to spend all that much time, meaning a 1/2 day ticket would have been perfect. But 1/2 day tickets weren't offered, so I purchased the full day ticket for me and DS 23 (that's all we saw that were offered). On our cruise these ran $69 pp. This seems a little steep if I compare to waterpark prices for nice waterparks in the continental US for sure (but you are captive on an island). DH and my dad who will also be on the cruise are passing on that for sure for that price. On the other hand, if I compare the waterpark price to what I paid for DS and friend to do the Atlantis water park for a day on a cruise three years ago (last cruise we were on) (ouch - That was crazy expensive - like around $150 a person), the Coco Cay waterpark looks like a bargain.

Yes, theres sun beds with umbrellas and things for shade.
Keep checking the price. If the price goes down or half day tickets come available.you can cancel and rebook.

Great stuff!

It did seem from the pictures that shade is at a premium at coco Cay around the beaches. I'm sure that if I dug a bit deeper I'd find that they have umbrellas for rent.

Were there any warnings/recommendations with regards to the stingrays and sharks?

Finally, did you pass by any of the snack stations (not the main meal areas) I've heard about on the island? What do they serve?
Just a note about the stingrays. I have lived in FL all my life and visit the beach often. There are no signs to warn you about rays, but we grew up knowing how to do the "stingray shuffle". Just remember to "slide" your feet instead of stepping, as the rays will only "sting" (actually is a defensive move where the tail whips around and gets you) if they feel threatened. They have a good sense of sight and feel, and by sliding your feet you disturb the sand and they know you are coming and will dart off.

I have heard that Black Friday sales will be offered, but do not know if the water park will be included in the sale.

Does RCL usually have pretty lucrative sales on Black Friday for cruises and/or excursions? I was thinking of booking again for May in December or so.

Does RCL usually have pretty lucrative sales on Black Friday for cruises and/or excursions? I was thinking of booking again for May in December or so.

I am not positive about actual cruises, but I have purchased excursions, drink and dining packages at 35-50% percent off on Black Friday & Cyber Monday. It is usually the best sale of the year for add ons.

I've paid 49 for the full drinks package per day, 19 for The Key and 39 I think for a full day waterpark pass here. Navigator in August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!