People can be jerks

Sorry, but the old lady 👵 on the wrong side of the path was just as much of a JERK as the biker 🚴‍♀️.

We have to remember that we will all be old some day(if you are lucky). It is easy as a younger, fit person to ridicule someone who is older and has medical issues because you do not understand how horrible it is. I have zero issues with older/disabled people do what they need to do to live their lives. If that means walking on the flat side of a walking path, so what, go around them. Maybe the cyclist can take his issues up with the city to have the path fixed. That would be a better use of his time and energy. Sorry, but I can not excuse the cyclists behavior at all. This is just as bad as someone yelling at a person in an wheelchair that gets on the bus first.

I've observed that many people regardless of age don't follow trail etiquette. If someone is on 'my side' of the trail going the opposite direction I'll usually just go around, there's no need to say anything. I often won't give much thought to someone who's elderly or visibly has a difficult time walking. They're out there. Where I do say something (as I pass) is for trail hoggers. I can't stand those who walk 3+ across hogging the whole thing. I experience that in local runs and it is annoying.

Sorry, but old age and/or disability still doesn’t give one the excuse to be a JERK! The biker was a JERK too. Some of the rudest people I’ve every encountered have been on scooters.

Sorry, but old age and/or disability still doesn’t give one the excuse to be a JERK! The biker was a JERK too. Some of the rudest people I’ve every encountered have been on scooters.
I.agree people with disabilities are in a way just like everyone else some have a stick up their but because they feel like they have been delt a bad hand

Others move the road blocks best to their ablity and move forward and have a charming personality

We have to remember that we will all be old some day(if you are lucky). It is easy as a younger, fit person to ridicule someone who is older and has medical issues because you do not understand how horrible it is. I have zero issues with older/disabled people do what they need to do to live their lives. If that means walking on the flat side of a walking path, so what, go around them. Maybe the cyclist can take his issues up with the city to have the path fixed. That would be a better use of his time and energy. Sorry, but I can not excuse the cyclists behavior at all. This is just as bad as someone yelling at a person in an wheelchair that gets on the bus first.

And how do you know the cyclist is not also older with medical issues and we don't understand how horrible he has it when people get in his way? Why is it okay for the OP to come here an attempt to ridicule him?

Or maybe he has an issue like my friend's son with autism, he is an extreme rule follower and he gets very upset if people don't follow the rules. For example, if the teacher tells the class to pick up a pencil and someone picks up a pen, he will start to cry and get upset they weren't listening to the rules. Yes, this is something they are working on but this could become him all grown up. You never know what someone is dealing with.

No where does it say the cyclist was yelling or freaking out and throwing a fit. He just gave a snarky remark to make a point (which is kind of funny because in most of Europe they drive on the right just like we do anyway LOL).

However if you are knowingly breaking the rules in any given situation, don't be surprised if someone calls you out on your crap. You don't have to LIKE it, you don't even have to listen, but don't act all offended :rolleyes:

You were talking to me. Well, you quoted me and then asked why I said that this thread was literally about this incident and did I not think they were going to do it again.

Not sure what you are talking about here.
Yes. I was asking you, based on claims of assumptions you made. I was not asking the OP, hence no indication of offering the mistakenly assumed advice to the OP. Because you were not there, it would have been pointless to offer you advice. I was asking questions based on statements made.

Definition of question: "a sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information"

And how do you know the cyclist is not also older with medical issues and we don't understand how horrible he has it when people get in his way? Why is it okay for the OP to come here an attempt to ridicule him?

Or maybe he has an issue like my friend's son with autism, he is an extreme rule follower and he gets very upset if people don't follow the rules. For example, if the teacher tells the class to pick up a pencil and someone picks up a pen, he will start to cry and get upset they weren't listening to the rules. Yes, this is something they are working on but this could become him all grown up. You never know what someone is dealing with.

No where does it say the cyclist was yelling or freaking out and throwing a fit. He just gave a snarky remark to make a point (which is kind of funny because in most of Europe they drive on the right just like we do anyway LOL).

However if you are knowingly breaking the rules in any given situation, don't be surprised if someone calls you out on your crap. You don't have to LIKE it, you don't even have to listen, but don't act all offended :rolleyes:

If he was someone that had medical issues himself, then he should be even more understanding of others, not less. There is no excuse for rude behavior on his part. That's the problem with society now, they don't stop and think about what they are saying and doing. The OP posted that the cyclist had plenty of space to go around them but chose to stop and confront them. You can't possibly tell us that that is normal behavior.

If he was someone that had medical issues himself, then he should be even more understanding of others, not less. There is no excuse for rude behavior on his part. That's the problem with society now, they don't stop and think about what they are saying and doing. The OP posted that the cyclist had plenty of space to go around them but chose to stop and confront them. You can't possibly tell us that that is normal behavior.

Again, the poster you quoted explained that there are disorders where people don't have social skills or clues. Many of these disorders were not treated when a lot of today's adults were growing up.

Many of us had 'different' kids in our classes growing up who would now have a diagnosis like aspergers or autism.

I have a cousin who probably has ADHD . But he's in his late 50s now. Was never looked into

Again, the poster you quoted explained that there are disorders where people don't have social skills or clues. Many of these disorders were not treated when a lot of today's adults were growing up.

Many of us had 'different' kids in our classes growing up who would now have a diagnosis like aspergers or autism.

I have a cousin who probably has ADHD . But he's in his late 50s now. Was never looked into

While there of course are people that have those issues, it is a big assumption that this cyclist has any of them. He just sounds like a jerk.

You know, I really shouldn't be, but I kind of am shocked at the amount of animosity at the woman walking the path. Didn't any of your parents teach you respect and understanding for those older then you. Why not give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they didn't know, or maybe (as was the case) she had a medical need. How can so many of you be so callous toward another person who is just walking on a trail?

While there of course are people that have those issues, it is a big assumption that this cyclist has any of them. He just sounds like a jerk.
I've been staying away from the whole "jerk" attribution but I do want to say we're only getting one snippet of time and one side of it.

The OP's mom could be the nicest person in general and yet have this moment in time and the biker could be the nicest person in general and yet have this moment in time.

IMO it's fair to assess that both parties acted in such a way that they didn't have to. Of course though people can discuss who is the bigger (insert whatever adjective) if they want to.

You know, I really shouldn't be, but I kind of am shocked at the amount of animosity at the woman walking the path. Didn't any of your parents teach you respect and understanding for those older then you. Why not give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they didn't know, or maybe (as was the case) she had a medical need. How can so many of you be so callous toward another person who is just walking on a trail?

Several people in our family have medical needs, including a 12 year old with walking difficulties due to spina bifida who was never supposed to walk and a 13 year old due to a chromosome disorder.

They have been taught the rules still apply to them. Even if it does cause them to adapt with their challenges.

Now she knows.

Again, this is based on just one of the three actual "sides" to the report of what actually happened.

Sorry OP, but you and your mom were in the wrong.

This exact sort of thing is fresh in my mind too, as just a couple of week ago I was biking around Mackinac Island. So many people were biking or walking on the wrong side of the path that it was hazardous. You would be going along and all of a sudden someone was in your path, and it is not that easy to stop when there are groups of people biking.

You need to stay on the side you belong on when walking or biking, or else you are an accident waiting to happen.

Yes. I was asking you, based on claims of assumptions you made. I was not asking the OP, hence no indication of offering the mistakenly assumed advice to the OP. Because you were not there, it would have been pointless to offer you advice. I was asking questions based on statements made.

Definition of question: "a sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information"

Dear Lord. This makes no sense to the conversation we were having.

Well aware what the definition of a question is. No reason to be condescending.

There was no “assumption”. I said this thread was literally about this one incident. Venting about the guy and his actions. No need for a bigger picture. And I may be wrong and am not going back to look but I believe I was talking to someone else anyway.

You ASKED did I not think they would ever walk on the wrong side again. And I will answer the same way again—it doesn’t matter. This thread was not about that. It is about THIS guy and the way he acted.

I would guess that the reason you want to assume they will do it again is to explain your need to give advise. Perhaps there is another reason.

Of course it could also explain your absolute glee in proving how wrong the op and his mom were.

Sorry OP, but you and your mom were in the wrong.

This exact sort of thing is fresh in my mind too, as just a couple of week ago I was biking around Mackinac Island. So many people were biking or walking on the wrong side of the path that it was hazardous. You would be going along and all of a sudden someone was in your path, and it is not that easy to stop when there are groups of people biking.

You need to stay on the side you belong on when walking or biking, or else you are an accident waiting to happen.

When I was reading this thread, I wondered how many people have biked on the same trail as walkers. I have and it is definitely not easy to weave around people or have to come to a complete stop. Maybe when I was younger or with more practice.

I would guess that the reason you want to assume they will do it again is to explain your need to give advise. Perhaps there is another reason.
Stop guessing. Read the words. I asked you if you thought... whatever. Did not ask OP. No intention of offering advice to OP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter