People can be jerks

Full disclosure, I guess you could call me a member of the spandex mafia. However, I do most of my training inside on my trainer because it's much safer than riding outside, even in Boulder, CO where I think it must be a law that everyone rides a bike.

I will not ride on multi-use paths because you have to keep your speed down (some cities have speed limits on the paths) and I don't want to have to worry about runners, walkers, dogs, or families out for a stroll. When I'm riding I'm not out there for a leisurely ride but as a training ride with efforts. Instead I stick to roads that have really wide shoulders or safe bike lanes.

That said, if I would have been riding toward the OP and his mother and saw they were on the wrong side of the path, I would have stopped because I would have been very unsure whether they were going to move to the correct side of the path or stayed put. If I was traveling even only 15 mph, that 10 feet wouldn't have given me time to safely swerve if they moved to the right at the last minute. Would I have said something? Probably, "Hope you are having a great day." Would I have said something in my own head that I can't say on the DIS? Oh heck yes! But those words would have never left my mouth.

I do get the cyclists side as he may have been startled and unsure what to do. (I use cyclist loosely as the OP said the man wasn't wearing a helmet.) All he had to do was nod as the OP and his mom passed and then gone on his way.

One more full disclosure - I understand the cyclists can be idiots side. I'm a huge rule follower and I will signal when I'm making a turn. Last month I was doing a last really long ride before a race and was hit by another cyclist. I was making a right turn into a little coffee shop/bakery so I could refill my water. I signaled and then made my turn. I turned right into a guy who was passing on my right, which is a huge no. I asked if he saw my signal and he said he saw my arm, but didn't know what it meant. He did this in front of several cyclists who were taking a break and drinking coffee, Gatorade, or whatever and having a snack. I said nothing more because others laid into him. I went into the store, cleaned up my road rash, refilled my water, and returned to my car earlier than planned. I was really cranky about the incident but losing my cool would have done nothing.

Full disclosure, I guess you could call me a member of the spandex mafia. However, I do most of my training inside on my trainer because it's much safer than riding outside, even in Boulder, CO where I think it must be a law that everyone rides a bike.

I will not ride on multi-use paths because you have to keep your speed down (some cities have speed limits on the paths) and I don't want to have to worry about runners, walkers, dogs, or families out for a stroll. When I'm riding I'm not out there for a leisurely ride but as a training ride with efforts. Instead I stick to roads that have really wide shoulders or safe bike lanes.

That said, if I would have been riding toward the OP and his mother and saw they were on the wrong side of the path, I would have stopped because I would have been very unsure whether they were going to move to the correct side of the path or stayed put. If I was traveling even only 15 mph, that 10 feet wouldn't have given me time to safely swerve if they moved to the right at the last minute. Would I have said something? Probably, "Hope you are having a great day." Would I have said something in my own head that I can't say on the DIS? Oh heck yes! But those words would have never left my mouth.

I do get the cyclists side as he may have been startled and unsure what to do. (I use cyclist loosely as the OP said the man wasn't wearing a helmet.) All he had to do was nod as the OP and his mom passed and then gone on his way.

One more full disclosure - I understand the cyclists can be idiots side. I'm a huge rule follower and I will signal when I'm making a turn. Last month I was doing a last really long ride before a race and was hit by another cyclist. I was making a right turn into a little coffee shop/bakery so I could refill my water. I signaled and then made my turn. I turned right into a guy who was passing on my right, which is a huge no. I asked if he saw my signal and he said he saw my arm, but didn't know what it meant. He did this in front of several cyclists who were taking a break and drinking coffee, Gatorade, or whatever and having a snack. I said nothing more because others laid into him. I went into the store, cleaned up my road rash, refilled my water, and returned to my car earlier than planned. I was really cranky about the incident but losing my cool would have done nothing.

You are a class act. Thanks for sharing your experience. It speaks volumes.

Yes, I don't disagree that the cyclist was right and playing by the rules while OP/mom were wrong to walk on the wrong side of the path. My opinion is just that the cyclist was never justified in the way he spoke to them, even if he's technically "right".
I think that was the point most of us were making & OPs reason for posting about it.

I think that was the point most of us were making & OPs reason for posting about it.
Definitely. The PP I quoted made the point that the bicyclist was in the right, which insinuated to me that the PP felt the cyclist was justified in his actions. I was just reiterating that his actions were poor, even though he was right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter