paying more for less?

Disney doesn't have resort pricing that alters based on demand.

Maybe not intentionally, but given IT's "consistency" of experiences, it often seems so. They have algorithms that adjust pricing based on length of stay and how close the date is, so I wouldn't doubt that availability gets thrown in too, especially with the screwiness of the orphan room "logic". It may not be so much altering of the price, but altering what they are willing to show you as available. For weekend trips where I just needed a 2 night (fri & sat), or just 1 night (sat), the pricing I see on Monday is usually different than what I see on Friday, for the exact same room category. There are times when it will refuse to let me book a single night in a standard room until Friday morning. I'm sure that every time this has happened to me, it was just magical timing that someone else canceled a reservation at the last minute. Of course not, it's the orphan room. It has happened often enough that I am more than comfortable getting in the car Thursday evening to drive that direction, because I KNOW something will open up and I can book something before we drive under the gates. I wouldn't be surprised if their orphan room logic has actually created MORE orphan rooms. Granted, nowadays, I prefer to stay offsite anyway. There have been times when the price dropped $50 from Thursday to Friday. Earlier this year, I saw Boardwalk drop to under $200/nt for a Friday and Saturday night (which are the two expensive nights of the week). That was over a $100/nt drop overnight. Same room category, same view, no discount, etc. I'm sure in their system it might have been labeled a "last minute discount rate", but as far as the website was concerned, it was a standard rate that was altered because of lack of demand (the hotel WAS pretty empty), and they'd rather let it go cheaper than have it go empty.

If you are booking 6+ months out, you wouldn't necessarily notice some of these quirks (I am almost always a last minute minimalist planner), but I have seen where 6+ months out rates are higher on weekends that have things planned (marathon weekends, as an example) than the weekend prior or after, even tho all those weekends are in a non-peak season and SHOULD be the same rates. I always check the "standard" rates first before logging in to see possible discounts, because I've actually seen the "discounts" give me higher rates. Same room same line ... should have taken a screen shot the time I saw the worst example of it. First price on the line, the "standard" rate, was the lowest of the 3, the "sun and fun" or something similarly named discount was $20/nt higher, and then the AP rate was another $20/nt higher than that!

As for the original poster, if you haven't already called to see if they can correct, try a new ressie with your preferred dates from a fresh browser without any cookie crumbs to see if it's truly available at the reduced price you'd expect. One of the cute little IT "features" that I've run into is that after you start a package, put it in your cart, then play around with the dates or room component, the "package" can become unhooked. You can get all the components, but the system doesn't see it as a package. That happened to me on a DLR reservation with tickets. I had utilized a Disney Visa link that was to get me some goodies if I booked a package. I booked the hotel and tickets together, but because I played around with the dates a little to get the best room price (Grand Californian was within $30/nt of the other two on the two nights I ended up with), the "package" status disappeared. They told me when I got there that even tho I had a room AND tickets, I didn't have a package so I didn't get the goodies. I had them go to the website, start a package, change the dates, and see what happens. They gave me my goodies. It sounds like that is what the system is doing to you when you drop the one night. The package deal link is going away, when it shouldn't. It's not that it isn't truly available, it's just one of those IT "features" making it disappear on you.

What are the odds of the Contemporary letting me keep my room one more night? I have the spring pass holder rate and I can’t make a new reservation and keep the same room class online.

What are the odds of the Contemporary letting me keep my room one more night? I have the spring pass holder rate and I can’t make a new reservation and keep the same room class online.
Who knows. Used to if you looked online and it wasn't available you cold be sure it was sold out. The way it works now you can't. You have to call and ask

I was awesomely able to change a reservation online! I’ve never been able to do it successfully before so was shocked it worked. I was able to switch from Boardwalk to Beach Club during Flower & Garden, which is the second miracle involved! And it was cheaper! I may be gloating just a little but wanted to tell you not to give up, that sometimes the fairy dust does exist!

As for the original poster, if you haven't already called to see if they can correct, try a new ressie with your preferred dates from a fresh browser without any cookie crumbs to see if it's truly available at the reduced price you'd expect. One of the cute little IT "features" that I've run into is that after you start a package, put it in your cart, then play around with the dates or room component, the "package" can become unhooked. You can get all the components, but the system doesn't see it as a package. That happened to me on a DLR reservation with tickets. I had utilized a Disney Visa link that was to get me some goodies if I booked a package. I booked the hotel and tickets together, but because I played around with the dates a little to get the best room price (Grand Californian was within $30/nt of the other two on the two nights I ended up with), the "package" status disappeared. They told me when I got there that even tho I had a room AND tickets, I didn't have a package so I didn't get the goodies. I had them go to the website, start a package, change the dates, and see what happens. They gave me my goodies. It sounds like that is what the system is doing to you when you drop the one night. The package deal link is going away, when it shouldn't. It's not that it isn't truly available, it's just one of those IT "features" making it disappear on you.

Good tip. I actually just went ahead and changed our trip to the week before. We're pretty flexible so it's not a big deal. But it's been interesting to read the comments about IT. It's very confusing for the average consumer, I would think.

Maybe not intentionally, but given IT's "consistency" of experiences, it often seems so. They have algorithms that adjust pricing based on length of stay and how close the date is, so I wouldn't doubt that availability gets thrown in too, especially with the screwiness of the orphan room "logic". It may not be so much altering of the price, but altering what they are willing to show you as available. For weekend trips where I just needed a 2 night (fri & sat), or just 1 night (sat), the pricing I see on Monday is usually different than what I see on Friday, for the exact same room category. There are times when it will refuse to let me book a single night in a standard room until Friday morning. I'm sure that every time this has happened to me, it was just magical timing that someone else canceled a reservation at the last minute. Of course not, it's the orphan room. It has happened often enough that I am more than comfortable getting in the car Thursday evening to drive that direction, because I KNOW something will open up and I can book something before we drive under the gates. I wouldn't be surprised if their orphan room logic has actually created MORE orphan rooms. Granted, nowadays, I prefer to stay offsite anyway. There have been times when the price dropped $50 from Thursday to Friday. Earlier this year, I saw Boardwalk drop to under $200/nt for a Friday and Saturday night (which are the two expensive nights of the week). That was over a $100/nt drop overnight. Same room category, same view, no discount, etc. I'm sure in their system it might have been labeled a "last minute discount rate", but as far as the website was concerned, it was a standard rate that was altered because of lack of demand (the hotel WAS pretty empty), and they'd rather let it go cheaper than have it go empty.

If you are booking 6+ months out, you wouldn't necessarily notice some of these quirks (I am almost always a last minute minimalist planner), but I have seen where 6+ months out rates are higher on weekends that have things planned (marathon weekends, as an example) than the weekend prior or after, even tho all those weekends are in a non-peak season and SHOULD be the same rates. I always check the "standard" rates first before logging in to see possible discounts, because I've actually seen the "discounts" give me higher rates. Same room same line ... should have taken a screen shot the time I saw the worst example of it. First price on the line, the "standard" rate, was the lowest of the 3, the "sun and fun" or something similarly named discount was $20/nt higher, and then the AP rate was another $20/nt higher than that!

Very interesting read. None of this would surprise me a bit. Back in the day when Disney released the rack rates for the resorts for the following year, that was what they stayed at all year, the rack rate didn't change. Now it does. They now raise the resort rates periodically without a word mentioned.

Maybe not intentionally, but given IT's "consistency" of experiences, it often seems so. They have algorithms that adjust pricing based on length of stay
Different set rates for different - even consecutive - nights generally isn't the same as what's being claimed here.
and how close the date is
No. Rack rate is rack rate. There may be an overall adjustment (increase) at some point in a year for the remainder of that year, but ACCessory rates don't work like this.
so I wouldn't doubt that availability gets thrown in too
Again, no. Rack rate is fixed, it doesn't fluctuate as presumed.
especially with the screwiness of the orphan room "logic"
When party A has a room reserved from the 16th through the 23rd, and party B has the identical reservation from the 23rd through the 31st and then amends their reservation to arrive on the 24th due to airfare or whatever, they create an orphan room - not an "orphan room" - which needs to be filled for revenue and occupancy goals.
It may not be so much altering of the price, but altering what they are willing to show you as available.
Doubtful.
It has happened often enough that I. am more than comfortable getting in the car Thursday evening to drive that direction, because I KNOW something will open up and I can book something before we drive under the gates.
Despite understandable goals of 100% occupancy, this virtually never happens. There would almost always be something available somewhere.
but I have seen where 6+ months out rates are higher on weekends that have things planned (marathon weekends, as an example) than the weekend prior or after, even tho all those weekends are in a non-peak season and SHOULD be the same rates.
Again, and despite opinions, the prices are set - six months in advance or whatever. Disney isn't raising room rates on the fly because a particular weekend is bringing in more reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter