Patch

NJBILL

Always Keep An Eye To The Sky
This is our first cruise. my wife and i and 4 kids 6,6,8,16. Is there a patch to prevent seasickness? does it work well? do you need a prescription, and can kids wear it? Is it necessary at all?
Thanks for your help.:D

There is a patch but it has wicked side effects for some people, I do not htink kids are supposed to use it though. I know I was talking to people who used the patch and some said their vision was so blurry from it they couldn't even read the menus for themselves!

My son used the patch when he was about 12-13 yrs old as he gets motion sick in the car. It made him VERY VERY sleepy and dried out his mouth. I used the patch at California adventure as I was dying to go on the Mickey loop roller coaster. I was soo drowsey I fell asleep standing up in line. I hardly remember anything at all. My mouth felt like someone had tossed it in the dryer. Some people do not get these side effects. I usually get queasy in the car if I so much as look at a map while the car is moving, and my roller coaster days are definately over. I went on the Norwegian Majesty last February and we hit some rough water on the last night. 9 foot waves and the ship was rocking and rolling. I had to hug the pole to sing kareoke. I NEVER felt sick. Hubby felt it a little, but we had also had a wild time in Cozumel. I am hoping for the best with my kids, since they can't read in the car or even do gameboy due to motion sickness. I am going to bring Bonine, since many here have said it has the least amount of side effects and it is chewable. I also have the seabands, which provide accupressure and prevent seasickness.

Have fun!! Melissa

Sorry I left out an answer to your question. Yes you need a prescription and a doctor could tell you what ages it is recomended for. I think it works well....As far as I am concerned I was able to ride the roller coasters, but can hardly rememberr it, so the side effects are not worth it for me. Melissa

I stressed over motion sickness for weeks before our first cruise with me, DH, DD12 & DS9.
I spoke to a very good doctor friend and he recommended that we each take a Bonine every day.....about an hour or so before sailing. Bonine is only recommended for 12 and over so my son took Dramamine Jr. All are chewable. We never had a problem with motion sickness or any side effects.

Did we really need them, probably not. But in the words of my doctor friend, once you get seasick, its tough to get rid of. Why not use a little preventative medicine.

We had very good luck with the sea bands. The kids were 12 and 14 and the adults were - well - older.

You can usually find them at the drug store, no Rx needed.

I asked my doc..he said younger kids could take Bonine..and mine have, without ill effects. My youngest is 8, but weighs almost 65 lbs. I would say ask your own doc first, and follow what they say.

Melissa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter