Past Western Cruisers-? about GC

gfolchick

DIS Veteran
In Grand Cayman, who has taken a taxi to Seven Mile Beach? How much was the fare?
I remember reading that you tell the taxi driver to drop you off across from the Holiday Inn but I couldn't find my notes on how much the ride was. Also, it is a public beach so there is no admission fee but how much do they charge for chairs and umbrellas. Is there someplace to get food & drinks or do they have waiters come around? Any help appreciated. Thanks

The new bus terminal is located adjacent the Public Library on Edward St. in downtown George Town and serves as the dispatch point for buses to all districts. There are 38 mini-buses operated by 24 licensed operators, serving eight routes. These routes serve the island and include service to West Bay (the most frequent service, running every 15 minutes), Bodden Town, East End and North Side (once an hour). A bus also serves multiple stops within George Town. Daily service starts at 6:00am from the depot. The schedule is as follows:

From George Town to:
West Bay - every 15 minutes. Fare is CI$1.50 each way.
6:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday - Thursday.
6:00am - midnight, Friday and Saturday.

Bodden Town - Every 30 minutes. Fare is CI$1.50 each way.
6:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday - Thursday.
6:00am - midnight, Friday and Saturday.

East End and North Side - Every hour. Fare is CI$2 each way.
6:00am - 9:00pm, Sunday - Thursday as well as Saturday.
On Friday, buses will operate until after Midnight.

The new system uses color-coded logos located on the front/rear of buses to identify routes as follows:
Route 1 - (yellow) covers George Town to West Bay and along 7 Mile Beach.
Route 2 - (lime green) also covers George Town to West Bay and along 7 Mile Beach.
Route 3 - (blue) provides service between the depot in George Town and Bodden Town.
Route 4 - (purple) operates between the depot and East End.
Route 5 - (red) goes from the depot to East End and North Side.
Route 6 - (dark green) operates from North Side to West Bay.
Route 7 - (dark green with white numbers) is an inter-district service for George Town.
Route 8 - (orange) runs from the depot to Hutland in North Side.

Licensed buses are identified by blue license plates. To maintain consistency in fares, each bus must display a fare table outlining standard government-authorized fares. For questions and schedules, 345/945-5100.

Note: the currency is fixed against the US dollar: $1 US = $0.80CI, or the other way around $1 CI = $1.25US

I can't help with the fare question but, we did the 2 mile beach excursion through DCL and I thought I would tell you about the beach,food, etc.

They have a bar and grill. There were tables on the patio. 3 hot dogs cost $22--oh they did come with fries. They were good but pricey. That is the only food place we saw. Supposedly there are chairs for those who book the excursion but there is no one there that we saw making sure this happens. We had to gather a few chairs from around the beach. It was fairly crowded. The taxi stand where they left you off is busy and we were given a return pick up from 2:30 to 3 to meet out front. So, we all didn't want to miss the bus back and it chopped into our beach time.

The beach itself is nice. Small in width...water is very pretty.

Good luck with the taxis. We opted to book because we have 2 small children.

I would absolutely NOT do the DCL excursion. There are many beautiful beaches on GC, not just 7 Mile, why pay so much $$? We did take a cab (wish I had known about the buses!) and it cost about $10 for the 3 of us.

If you bring along a soft cooler & ziplocks, you won't need to buy food. We ordered room service in the am before we had to leave, got sandwiches, chips, cookies, (you could also grabb some stuff off the breakfast buffet, like boxed cereal, yogurt, etc...), put them in there and we were good to go. We had ice from the always-full ice bucket in the room. The only thing we needed to buy were some drinks.

Check out this site, and then make your decision.

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/FreeBeaches.htm

we are doing a disney tour that does not include 7 mile beach we hope to be done with it by
12:00
We would like to go to a pretty beach that has som sort of facilities not too remote
at least be able to get a pina colada!
There will be 4 of us 2 adults 2 children 10years old
can someone suggest a better place than 7 mile beach I head this was beautiful
rum point looks pretty too but it makes me nervous to be that far away from the ship
at that hour.

Help!
did I read somewhere about a smith cove near the pier?:confused:

I have been told that you can walk to Seven Mile Beach from where the tenders comes ashore. My friend spent a week in Grand Cayman and she said we could walk to beach and shopping from tender pier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter