• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Passports for Alaska?

CruiseGoon

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone. I just wanted to know if passports are required for the Alaska cruises (U.S. citizens)? We're taking my mother and I wanted to save her the renewal cost if she doesn't have to have it.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to know if passports are required for the Alaska cruises (U.S. citizens)? We're taking my mother and I wanted to save her the renewal cost if she doesn't have to have it.
Since they sail out of Vancouver, yes.

All she needs is her birth certificate and drivers license.

U.S. Citizens (Including Children) Traveling to Canada (Vancouver) by Land or Sea

• Original valid U.S. Passport
  • Original valid U.S. Passport Card
  • Original valid Trusted Traveler Card (NEXUS, FAST)
OR

• Original or copy of a state-issued birth certificate AND Government-issued photo ID
    1. Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable

If you are flying into Canada or plan to go visit Canada on your Skagway day (access to the Yukon), passports are needed.

Original or copy of a state-issued birth certificate AND Government-issued photo ID
Technically by Canadian requirements, yes. However, US law requires everyone to have a passport to return to the US from Canada, therefore Canadian border agents won’t allow you into Canada without the passport so there is no issue when you leave.

She can get a passport card for US/Canada crossings for slightly less money than a passport book if the cost is a concern and she doesn’t think she’d be going anywhere else the next 10 years. When you research what you need, please keep in mind to research 1) what DCL requires 2) what Canada requires to enter, and 3) what the US requires to re-enter. It’s not as simple as checking just one of these entities. Also, pay heed to specifics. My brother learned at the 11th hour that there’s a difference between a Real drivers license and an enhanced one…. And then even so, only certain states’ licenses qualified as enough ID. IMHO why risk it? Better to just have the passport book or card.

Technically by Canadian requirements, yes. However, US law requires everyone to have a passport to return to the US from Canada, therefore Canadian border agents won’t allow you into Canada without the passport so there is no issue when you leave.
Then DCL is putting many of its customers, who drive or take the train/bus, in jeopardy by having false info on their web site. You know not everyone will take the time to ask if that is what they see under "Travel Documentation". We have PP's so I have never looked at it prior to the last couple discussions here.

Then DCL is putting many of its customers, who drive or take the train/bus, in jeopardy by having false info on their web site. You know not everyone will take the time to ask if that is what they see under "Travel Documentation". We have PP's so I have never looked at it prior to the last couple discussions here.
I wasn't aware DCL has that information on their website; however last I knew DCL's site also included a disclaimer that entry requirements may change and to confirm with official sites. I do think children (under 16? under 18?) are still allowed to enter Canada with just a birth certificate, though depending on the border agent they may still give you a hard time. (I live near the US/Canada border)

there’s a difference between a Real drivers license and an enhanced one…. And then even so, only certain states’ licenses qualified as enough ID
This is correct. While an Enhanced Driver's License qualifies as a REAL ID but a REAL ID does not necessarily qualify as Enhanced Driver's License. Only a few states issue what is considered an Enhanced Driver's License (last I knew just MI, MN, NY, VT, WA).

I wasn't aware DCL has that information on their website; however last I knew DCL's site also included a disclaimer that entry requirements may change and to confirm with official sites. I do think children (under 16? under 18?) are still allowed to enter Canada with just a birth certificate, though depending on the border agent they may still give you a hard time. (I live near the US/Canada border)
Yep that disclaimer is there and it says "can visit" not "should visit". Having dealt with the general public for 30 years at the local government level many people definitely don't read disclaimers or fine print..or even the legal documents for their own property.

Per the Cruise contract it is the passenger's responsibility to know all required documentation. Same way as if you were to travel any other way.

The website is helpful, but acts as a guide and not as any sort of authority.

Per the Cruise contract it is the passenger's responsibility to know all required documentation. Same way as if you were to travel any other way.

The website is helpful, but acts as a guide and not as any sort of authority.
Don't disagree, but it has erroneous info posted.

Thanks. I think I'll just play it safe and have her renew her passport. Even if she doesn't need to have one, we always run the risk of getting a customs officer who "understands" the regulations in the exact opposite way.

Thanks. I think I'll just play it safe and have her renew her passport. Even if she doesn't need to have one, we always run the risk of getting a customs officer who "understands" the regulations in the exact opposite way.
I ran into one of those customs officers in Calgary. I had the pamphlet from the Canadian Government saying all my 3 year old needed was a birth certificate and this guy just looked at me and said "without a photo, how to I know this birth certificate is for this child?" My kids never traveled anywhere after that without a passport and never had an issue again. And given what a Disney cruise costs. a Passport isn't that much money. People will spend $125 for Remy but complain about $130 for a Passport renewal.

Yes, you need one if you fly from the US to Canada.

Someone on our cruise this summer missed that detail and had to make many last minute changes to fly to Seattle, and find transport across the border to Vancouver. It was very stressful!

Don't disagree, but it has erroneous info posted.
This is what I’m seeing - it mentions passports:

Q:
What personal documents—including proof of citizenship—do I need to bring?
A:
In order to board the ship at the start of a cruise, all Guests must provide a valid government-issued photo ID. For certain international itineraries, you will also need to present a valid passport and travel visa.
Passports If needed for your itinerary, Disney Cruise Line requests that you provide your passport number at least 75 days prior to the start of your vacation. Simply add the details to the Guest Information Form found in My Online Check-In. You may also save your passport information in your profile to use for future cruises.
Please note: All travelers, including U.S. Citizens and all foreign nationals, are required to have a valid passport to enter or re-enter the United States by air.
Other Travel Documents When you arrive at the port terminal, additional documents are required to start your cruise. Save time by using My Online Check-In to complete these documents in advance. Please be sure to bring the completed Online Check-In Port Arrival Form with you to the ship.
To find a list of specific documents required for your itinerary, read the Passport & Travel Documentation guidelines in My Reservations.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/preparing-for-cruise/travel-documents/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter