Passport offices

Spotthecat

Mouseketeer
I've been waiting for the insanity around passport offices to settle down before renewing mine for a trip in March.

Are passport offices in the GTA still bonkers?

I dont think they are as bad as spring and early summer,,,hope they do catch up for everyone now that school is in and not as many traveling. I would get yours in as soon as you can even being this far out from March

I don't know about the GTA but every time I go shopping and pass in front of the passport office in the mall Fairview Pointe-Claire (Montreal west island), there is no one waiting in the roped area. I did see a security agent give a piece of paper, so maybe they give them a time to come back? It's a passport office, not a Canada Services centre.

If you're just renewing, I've heard they are being processed a lot faster than new applications (all child passports are new applications, for example). If you get it reviewed and submitted by a Service Canada centre, you should have it in time for your March trip, especially if you have proof of travel.

I went on Friday to get mine done for a cruise in December - renewal. I was able to do the 'express' option and have been told it will be mailed out to me on October 24th - I live in Burlington and watched the wait times on the Service Canada site for a week to decide where to go - ended up going to the St. Catherines Pen Center location ....the wait time, while I was there said 4h but I ended up waiting 3h. I would not mail in an application if I needed it done anytime soon, but considering your travel is in March it may be ok.

offices have died down but will pick up again as people start planning their winter breaks. Should still be good until the holidays I suspect. We had no issues in the middle of summer. Even received them only a week later.

I was just at the North York location today. Due to my name change mine was considered a new passport. I got there just before 745am (they open at 8:30) I ended up being number 96 in line. Was out the door by 9:30. So not bad at all.

The "longest" wait was the 15min prior to 8am. At that point they started shifting people in groups of 30 and it felt like you were always moving or had a place to sit while your spot was reserved.

As I left the line was very long though. But they seemed to be in control.

Also FYI with no rush I was told expected processing Dec 9. Not sure I fully believe that, but even before the holidays is well before I expected it.

Add-on. I went Fri Nov 25 and my passport arrived in my mailbox Nov 30 - no rush service.

Feel bad for everyone stuck in the backlog cause they are insanely fast if you do it now.

I stalked the wait times for about a week, and then on Friday I went to the Brampton offices. Of course, my alarm didn't ring that morning, so I showed up about half an hour after it had already opened (doh!). I only waited about 10 minutes outside, then was shuffled through the process. I think I was there 2.5 hours, took a while at the desk as they gave me grief for losing my own valid passport, and then somehow you can't use your husband as a reference (only as a guarantor, lol - but he's not related by blood!!). I pick up the 3 passports it on the 23rd - didn't want to freak about them mailing them and the post office returning them during the holiday break... I'll feel so much better when they're actually in my hand. And as soon as they are, I'll probably find my passport as that's how the world works!

Here was dd's experience.

She was needing to update her passport with her married name.

They are in Edmonton - so she booked an appointment to get a rush push on it. She went to her appointment everything went great. She got a date to pick up her updated passport.

Her pick up date was yesterday. She went to go pick it up. While she is in line, the people in front of her were taking a long time to pick theirs up as well. Turns out, the printer that they use to print them, broke down, and the party in front of her didn't get their passports :sad1: I would NOT have wanted to be the person working that day to deal with that family. So dd starts having severe anxiety as she is sure she won't get getting hers.

She is currently on a plane to Mexico - so she got hers. But UGH...that poor group ahead of her.

Just a tidbit - if your office offers it - make an appointment! I was able to get my SIL an appt yesterday for today. Only took her 10 mins, she picks it up next week.

When I first looked, appts were booking February at the earliest, but I just looked again just after 8 am yesterday and got one for today. (She was going to go wait in the line otherwise)

…I’m really good at booking lightning lane, maybe that experience helped 🤣

I had great success mailing in a renewal for my daughter. I included our sailing date on our upcoming cruise.

Applied in early Oct (sailing in Feb) and had passport in hand 25 days later.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, friends applied for renewals for their kids in Jun 2022. Also listed travel in Feb 2023. They got caught in the backlog and only received their children’s passports last week!!

I was just at the passport office here in London, Ontario. I arrived on Thursday Jan 28 at 10:30 AM. I was back in my car by 11:15 am.
They told me my son's passport should arrive mid Feb.

I finally went to the Whitby passport office, Thurs. Feb. 2nd.
I had been putting it off and looking for appts. but no luck.
Anyways, got there at opening. Was in and out in 45 minutes.
Passport just came to the door tonight. So, 8 business days.
This was for an adult passport - it is not a renewal. Regular service.
Pleasantly surprised at the speed! :)

Last edited:
I've heard that your passport shouldn't be expiring within 6 months to go to the U.S. Is that true? I'm probably going to renew mine early anyway, but others I'm travelling with might not be intending to do that.

I've heard that your passport shouldn't be expiring within 6 months to go to the U.S. Is that true? I'm probably going to renew mine early anyway, but others I'm travelling with might not be intending to do that.
No...when traveling to the US your passport is valid right up to the day of expiry.

This is a general rule for entering the US, but they have signed an agreement with Canada and other countries to waive this rule. However (and perhaps obviously :-), your passport has to be valid for the entire period of your stay in the US.

I mailed in passport applications for my wife and daughter on Feb 23rd. Within two weeks we received the old passports and ID back, and the fee had been processed. Just waiting on the new passports now. Seems to be timely.

Last edited:
I am so confused about the passport situation. I have always gone in person to a Passport Canada office. But there is some much different information and I don't want to make an appointment and go and then be told I cannot apply there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter