Party of 8, two scooters and a stroller - My experience with accessibility

nas1861

Earning My Ears
We went to Universal Studios and Disney World over Easter and this is my experience with accessibility.

We rented two scooters and a stroller from Gold Mobility. I would highly recommend them. They are a family owned business and they had top of the line scooters. They texted me the night before confirming delivery and the day of, we were able to have delivery a little early since we arrived earlier to the hotel. They came to the other hotel and picked up at the end of our stay. The scooters were clean, comfortable and I would definitely rent from them again.

In my view, Universal was far less accessible than Disney. It seemed that my parents had to park their scooters with the strollers almost everywhere. Even the Shrek ride which is nearly identical to Bugs life with the pre-show taking place in a large room. They had to park the scooter before the que and then stand in the que for 20 minutes while waiting 2 cycles of the show. There were wheelchairs they could use but I don’t see why they couldn’t have ridden the scooters all the way to the show and transfer into chairs like they did with Bugs life. There were also sidewalks nearly everywhere in the park which is a bit of a hazard if you aren’t paying attention. You had to wait until the end of the block to transfer to the street where there was a ramp. The hotel and elevators had no problem. The boat from the hotel to the park accommodated 2 scooters and there was also a walking trail that was very accessible. Overall, there were not nearly the scooters in the park like there is at Disney.

Transferring from Universal hotel to the Disney hotel, I called Mears Taxi the night before and scheduled 2 accessible taxi’s. The first taxi showed up right on time and they sent me a text messaging when they were dispatched and also when they arrived. That driver was very helpful and loaded everything and off they went. The second taxi that was supposed to show up with the first one showed up a half an hour later and the driver was the exact opposite of the first. Had trouble loading the scooter and then didn’t understand we also had luggage to transfer. The hotel valet wasn’t very helpful either. So we had a mixed bag dealing with accessible taxi’s having both extremes.

We stayed at the Polynesian Hotel at Disney. If you stay here with a scooter, you need to request a first floor room as the elevators are NOT accessible. They were barely big enough for three people plus luggage. There is no way a scooter would fit. Not even sure a wheelchair would fit. My parents stayed club level and the elevator in that building must have been bigger because they stayed on the second floor and the scooters fit in the elevator. The elevator in the main building that takes you up to the monorail and the restaurants was slightly bigger. We had baskets on the back of the scooters that had to be taking off so the scooters could barely fit. The room was big enough to hold two scooters and still have room to move around. The best part of the Poly is that we could utilize the monorail for Epcot and Magic Kingdom. Disney has this down! they pull out the ramps, load up the scooters, push some button on the outside so the CMs at the station know if you are getting off at that stop. They are standing ready with the ramps as soon as the monorail comes to a stop. That part was great! The boats to Magic Kingdom are not accessible. They are smaller boats and have a step down.

To get to Animal Kingdom, my dad didn’t want to deal with buses so we took the Minnie Van service. In order to get an accessible van, you have to call, you can not use the app. You need to call 45-60 minutes prior to departure to ensure the accessible van is available. Two vans showed up because we had 8 people. Both CMs worked together to get the scooters loaded (takes a bit so don’t be in a hurry). Both scooters fit in the van and they were able to sit in them if they chose or transfer to a van seat. They even had car seats available for the toddler. It was a very pleasant ride with friendly CMs. I would highly recommend.

Nearly all the rides in Epcot and Animal Kingdom, you were able to ride the scooter through the que and park right before you transferred to the ride vehicle. Magic Kingdom was a little more mixed. There were some of the rides, like Pirates and Haunted Mansion where you have to park the scooter by the strollers and walk the que. There were wheel chairs to use in the que. There were other rides/shows were you could take the scooter through the que or through an accessible que and park before transferring to the ride vehicle. Some of the rides had vehicles that accommodated wheelchairs if you are unable to transfer. There were a few rides, like Small World, where the scooters and their party (we had 2 scooters so our entire party of 8 was allowed) could skip the line, not have a fastpass and enter an alternate accessible que that got you on the ride quicker. There were only a few of those.

Overall, Disney is very aware of people with disabilities and bends over backwards to accommodate without humiliating. Universal has a long way to go in this regard. They seem to make a token effort but seeing the two parks back to back, the differences are glaring.

Last edited:
Great review - sounds like you had a fantastic trip. I totally agree with you about US/IOA - I used a scooter there my last trip 2 years ago and it was such a hassle. It's too bad they haven't made improvements. Interesting about the Poly elevators. I've never stayed there but good to know. I'm also glad to hear Gold Mobility is still offering top notch service.

Great review - sounds like you had a fantastic trip. I totally agree with you about US/IOA - I used a scooter there my last trip 2 years ago and it was such a hassle. It's too bad they haven't made improvements.
What's even worse is, Universal used to be better. Forst time I used an ECV there, they were extremely accommodating. If the queue couldn't handle the device, I was ushered in through the exit - Cat in the Hat and Doctor Doom still stand out for this.

Last time I went, I had to politely argue that no, I couldn't park the ECV somewhere and walk through the queue. I was grudginly allowed in through the Doctor Doom and Spidetman exits. I probably haven't been in ten years.

What's even worse is, Universal used to be better. Forst time I used an ECV there, they were extremely accommodating. If the queue couldn't handle the device, I was ushered in through the exit - Cat in the Hat and Doctor Doom still stand out for this.

Last time I went, I had to politely argue that no, I couldn't park the ECV somewhere and walk through the queue. I was grudginly allowed in through the Doctor Doom and Spidetman exits. I probably haven't been in ten years.
I would be insistent about it everywhere, sorry, but they need to be accommodating. At Disney, even most of the attractions that don't allow ECVs in the queues have some form of alternative available if you can't stand and can't be pushed in a wheelchair through the queue.

Oh, Universal had wheelchairs - but while I can propel myself flat, I can't on an an incline

Oh, Universal had wheelchairs - but while I can propel myself flat, I can't on an an incline

Our experience was they told us MIL would have to transfer to a wheelchair for us to push her through the line. We had no problem with that, but they only had wheelchairs twice.

Our experience was they told us MIL would have to transfer to a wheelchair for us to push her through the line. We had no problem with that, but they only had wheelchairs twice.
I would have responded with a resounding no, we have an ECV for a reason and that isn't to have to push a wheelchair through all of the queues.

I would have responded with a resounding no, we have an ECV for a reason and that isn't to have to push a wheelchair through all of the queues.
At the time, there were three adults and two tweens that could push, so that wasn’t an issue. We were irritated that they had no wheelchairs for her to transfer to in order to go through the lines. When we pushed back with that, they would then take us in through the exit. If they want guests to transfer, they need to have plenty of wheelchairs to transfer to.

Where did anybody indicate all queues?
Even the majority of them, the bottom line is there shouldn't be a single queue that ECVs can't go through and I thin Disney should be required to remodel the few queues that ECVs can't go through as well.

At the time, there were three adults and two tweens that could push, so that wasn’t an issue. We were irritated that they had no wheelchairs for her to transfer to in order to go through the lines. When we pushed back with that, they would then take us in through the exit. If they want guests to transfer, they need to have plenty of wheelchairs to transfer to.
Yes, they do, but they shouldn't even ask this, queues should be designed with ECVs in mind.

Okay, great. Rewrite the ADA.
Actually, attractions built after a certain date must be accessible to those with ECVs without transferring to a wheelchair for the queue. Now using the exit as an alternative may meet the requirements of ADA in some cases, but not all, it really depends on if the queue is part of the storyline of the attraction or not.

Queues are designed with ECVs in mind, now and for the last 25 or so years. Many, many MK and DL attractions (greatly) predate the ADA and have not undergone substantial renovations since the ADA went into effect.

Visit https://www.morganswonderland.com instead.
Except people are indicating that at Universal recent attractions aren't. At Disney World, Buzz, TOT, Star Tours and a few other "newer attractions" all jump to mind as ones that don't consider ECVs.

Haunted Mansion used to be accessible to ECVs, but policy changes made it not accessible to ECVs. The list goes on and on, but yeah, ok, they have considered it for the past 25 years or so.......umm, not.

Built or dramatically renovated, since 2010. Which attractions don't meet this requirement?
I already gave you a few and the requirements were instated in the mid 1980, further revised in the late 90s. Around 2010 was a clarification on existing rules and still applied to anything built after 1990 or so. And I provided a few above that do t meet requirements.

Except people are indicating that at Universal recent attractions aren't. At Disney World, Buzz, TOT, Star Tours and a few other "newer attractions" all jump to mind as ones that don't consider ECVs.

Haunted Mansion used to be accessible to ECVs, but policy changes made it not accessible to ECVs. The list goes on and on, but yeah, ok, they have considered it for the past 25 years or so.......umm, not.
Fine. Then stop going. Or actively fight to have said attractions redesigned to comply with individual interpretations of the ADA.

@cmwade77 I don't know what your experience has been at Star Tours at WDW/HS, but I drive my device all the way to the door of the attraction, and a CM parks it for me. No problem.

As far as Buzz goes, it's my understanding that the reason ECVs are "embargoed" in that line is because of the queue design as well as the load/unload design; wheelchairs work better in that particular setup. I have to admit, I haven't been in that attraction since "If You Had Wings" was the theme song, but that's what a very friendly CM told me one afternoon at MK. He also admitted that personal mobility devices like mine would fit just fine, but they treat everyone the same, so I would have to ride in a provided chair just like everyone else. (I don't ride Buzz because having watched the videos, I would rather go over to HS and ride TSM instead. Your mileage may very)

And any other attraction where the queue isn't ECV friendly? So what? I'm at Disney World, for crying out loud. Transferring to a wheelchair is the *least* of my worries. I'm just thrilled that I'm there! If transferring to a wheelchair to ride Pirates is the worst thing that happened to you at Disney World? You have mighty few problems, my friend.

We don't always get to the bend the world to our will. WDW (and DL for that matter) was originally conceived during a time when ECVs were (literally) but a dream, and no one thought there would ever be that many wheelchairs in the Parks, let alone people. During my first visit to WDW in 1972, we saw *1* person in a wheelchair, and she was a girl my age who had broken her leg. My dad helped her dad lift her chair onto the sidewalk on Main Street because there were no curb cuts or ramps.

Be grateful that you have the resources to go WDW or DL as often as you apparently do. I know many, many families who would happily take your place if they could; for them, Disney World and DisneyLand are but a dream that will never be fulfilled.

This was my experience as well. They didn't have any WC's at the attraction to transfer to and those working there had no idea what to do. I had people with me who could have pushed it. I didn't ride Gringotts because the employees there were so disorganized and had no alternative for me. At the Mummy I went through the express line because I can stand and walk for awhile. After that I just didn't bother trying to ride anything. I was chaperoning a school group so I had a lot going on or I'd probably have gone back to guest services and discussed it with them. I haven't gone back and don't really care to go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter