Part-Time Job?

MARCIAKAZ

Proud to be called Disney Geek by my kids!
Hi everybody! I am thinking about getting a part time job. I already have a full time job, so am looking to work only 10-15 hours a week. If I could work from home, I could put in a few more hours than that. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I might be able to get the most $$ for the time I have available? If retail, then it would helpful if the place has a great employee discount, too!

Not sure if they have one in Texas but I work full time during the week and on the weekend I work 17-20 hours Friday-Sunday at Cracker Barrel. I have been there 7 years so my discount is 35%. Our new employees get 20% after the first 30 days. I love it. It pays for my Disney trips. Hope you find something you like.

With those hours, retail would be best. You could pick up say three shifts during the week.

Find a store where you like the products. Yankee Candle comes to mind for my wife ;)

If not, waitressing at a busy place can actually make solid money if you are decent and hustle. Denny's, Cracker Barrel, etc come to mind. Always busy there and no matter what shift you get, you should be able to clear some decent cash.

Another suggestion is to try to work at local wedding/catering facility. They need folks on weekends. You might want to just bang out one long Saturday for example and make decent money there. I manage a faciltiy like that and our servers make $12+ hour plus the tips. We do two weddings so if you want the hours you can just do a 10 hour day on a Saturday and take home $200 for the time. That is $800 a month which is nice for the time.

Thanks--love the wedding/catering idea! Something I would never have thought of...

You can work in a 24/7 call center. Many have open shifts and will let you pick your own hours. These would include telemarketing, debt collections, customer service, order taking, and the like.

Cater waiter (waitress)

Retail as someone else suggested and especially now that the "back to school" rush is in full swing.

Of course, there are things like Avon, etc, but I'm sure they would take up much more than 15-20 hours a week and you have to spend a lot of time building up a clientele before you actually start making a noticeable profit.

What about working as an evening receptionist in a doctor/dentist office?

call your local news papers circulation departments and ask if they are hiring part time recovery drivers, its usually about 10-15 hours a week , and all you to is bring people news papers if the carrier skipped them in the morning.

My aunt has worked part time at the Cracker Barrel for the past three years. She took it for medical benefits and since she's drawing SS, she can only earn so much a year and her CB is very good at working with her to make sure she gets the hours she needs for benefits without making too much money. Even though she's only a cashier on the store side she's also been trained for other things like hosting. So the more versitile you are, the more you can be scheduled for the hours you want. And she gets a 50% off meal for each shift she works. Plus a week's vacations once a year.

Big chains like Target and Wal-mart only give 10% discounts. Lowes and Home Depot don't get anything. Small specialty shops like Gamestop get 15-20% discount.

Just remember if you do become a waitress, you better have some good coordination. Each establishment has it's own rules about carrying food out. Like at CB, the hot food has to be served from a hot tray, it's got an insulater underneath to keep the food hot to the table. And it adds a significant amount of weight to be held in one hand. And there's a different Min Wage for waiters, so look at that before deciding on it.

You could also try for valet at large malls/hotels. They get like 5$ tip for each car plus min wage. But you probably need to be a bit active and fit to be hussling around in the summer heat.

I work from home part-time for Home Shopping Network. Scheduling is very flexible I can schedule as little as a 1/2 hour at a time. I generally make minimum wage but there are times when I make a little more. HSN contracts out some of the order entry to WEST. West also has contracts with others like Toys r Us, Pro Flowers, & Shop NBC.

I work at Gymboree at the mall. It works great because I have kids and I can work as little as 3 hours a week and still get my discount and I get to see the stuff when it gets marked really low and grab it up.

Lowes and Home Depot don't get anything.

Lowes does get something they get 10% and 20% at least once a year along with employee only savings coupons to go with the 20% off. Along with medical/dental/eye benefits for even part timers along with 401k's bonuses, paid vacation time, paid sick time and paid holidays. I am VERY VERY sure about this. ;)

ETA 10% is everyday. DH works there part time. He was there all day today.. for part time he's there a lot which is good (since the pay is okay) but makes for VERY long days for me..

Well I know they get the "once a year christmas gift". Kari worked for Home Depot for 3 years. And her first store had a really great christmas party every year. Her first year she got a PS2 Slim when they were all the rage. It was a combo pack with extra controller, memory card, and 2 video games. We kept one game and memory card and returned the others at wal-mart for store credit. We already owned those things. Any case... The OP was refering to employee discounts, which I would take as getting it any time you purchased something. Most our deals at HD were marked dowm merchandise that the dept heads would mark down even further for employees. I can't even begin to list the cool things we got for major discount. And of course since she would have to be to work at 5am black friday, I'd be there ready to snag any really good deals the store had.

A really great benefit would to work for the Disney Store or a Character Premier store. Disney benefits are the best. And ohh so tempting to spend more than you make sometimes because some deals are just too good to pass up.

I needed some extra income when my husbands hours were drastically cut.

I signed up with Lia Sophia to do jewelry parties. I do about 2 parties a week (sometimes 3) and I make about $200 per party. This is our fun money! I love it because it only takes about 1-3 hours at the persons house and about 30mins of prep time.

It was a bit more to get it going etc....but it's totally been worth it...plus I get a 70% discount on the jewelry myself.

This money is what's paying for our 9 day trip to Disney this fall staying at the WL. It's also paying for a cruise to Hawaii next year for our 10th anniversary and then i've almost earned a FREE trip to Cancun.

It's not for everyone I know...but it's worth looking into especially if you want something in the evenings.

On the other side...my mom just got a part time job at Lowes only making 8.xx per hour and she only gets about 8-12 hours per week and a 10% discount.

Lowes gives employees ten percent off any purchase-more if it's a custom order item.

In the past they have also given 20% off most items for one week in December.

My aunt has worked part time at the Cracker Barrel for the past three years. She took it for medical benefits and since she's drawing SS, she can only earn so much a year and her CB is very good at working with her to make sure she gets the hours she needs for benefits without making too much money.

Wjen your Aunt is 66 she can earn as much as she wants and will have medicare too.

My dh is 61 and the retirement at 62 is $600 less a month the 66.
I am pushing him to take a security job pt time to help cover the health. I worked security for years before I became a police officer. My son works security at Aldies. Good money.

The only thing with working sales and Craker Barrel, our area sales are nil. The places we waited in line, the tables are empty. The Mexican place on a Saturday you can walk right in and few tables filled. Last year the line was so long.

I know we can not afford to go out even if we are in town. We even take drinks with us in a cooler. :surfweb:
Between he and I doing searches and placing resumes and filing in applications we must have spent 5 hrs a day and almost 100 contacts made.
Not ONE interview.

Since you are in Texas you may have a Hastings nearby. I work part time there and it all goes into the trip fund. I've been with Hastings 9 years. We used to have GREAT discounts but now it's about 20-25%..we still get a free book a week and some promos if your store manager lets go of them. If you train to be a barista that's an added bonus since it seems we have a harder time keeping that position. Once you prove yourself you can work into areas you like such as books or video, etc. and not have to cashier. I think they know better than to ask me to cashier since the system keeps having little changes and I haven't used the register for about 5 years.. I've been there so long I now only receive and stock the magazines, which means I fit it in around my schedule. I keep thinking I should quit since my life is so hectic, but just can't :) I work about7-8 hours a week but could easily pick up shifts if I wanted.

When I needed to make extra $$$ for my wedding, while working a full-time job, I also took a waitressing job. I had never done that before, but even working 10 hours per week, I brought in a LOT more money than if I had worked in retail or worked from home.

I probably grossed about $10-$14 an hour (wage + tips), and I usually worked during slower times (early Saturday and Sunday mornings)... I know the girls that worked 8 hours on a Saturday evening usually brought in about $150-$200. This was at a family restaurant, no alcohol. I guess if you work at a place that serves alcohol, you're looking at an even better tip rate (probably not on Sunday mornings, though... hehe).

Good luck!! :goodvibes

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely check out some of these ideas. Discounts would be a nice perk, but the extra income is my main goal.

Anyone work for Kohl's or JC Penney's? I'm curious about their typical pay and discounts....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter