Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Most likely. It will come out to be approx $36,000 per year at Temple. (All bc she didn't take the ACTs a little bit earlier...she scored a 33 which could get her $19,000-24,000per yr merit money but they won't accept her score of 33, only the 30 which qualifies her for $5,000per yr) FSU accepted the ACT score of 33 and that gives her out of state tuition waiver and $2,400 per yr merit. So FSU comes out to be just $16,500 per year

I'm sure that's what stings the most...she actually got the 33. I am so sorry. Hope she falls in love with FSU!

Well just heard back from Temple. The scholarship appeal was denied :( Looks like I'll have to fly to Florida next Thursday to visit FSU. My daughter sent us the email while I was in ShopRite… Needless to say I just cried in the car

Have you and your DD visited FSU before or will this be your first time seeing it in person? I hope she loves it!

I think FSU is a better school than Temple! The weather is only about a million times better at FSU and the neighborhood!!!

DD is making some progress with decision making and has decided to cross BC off her list. We have re-visited two schools and will visit the third on Monday. Hopefully she will be able to decide after that!
I think we are going to end up crossing BC off the list too. It's DS's first choice, but I just don't think we can justify the cost. There is more of a difference between BC and UMass than we first thought. We are visiting UMass Amherst on Tuesday and hope to find out more about the honors college there.

Well just heard back from Temple. The scholarship appeal was denied :( Looks like I'll have to fly to Florida next Thursday to visit FSU. My daughter sent us the email while I was in ShopRite… Needless to say I just cried in the car
I am sorry. It's looking like DS won't be going to his top choice either. I just can't justify taking on extra debt.

DD's decision was largely a financial one as well. When University A is more than twice the cost of University B (and mom & dad can/will only pay the cost of University B) it's a pretty easy choice, especially since grad school is part of the long term plan, and mom & dad do not pay any of the cost of grad school. In DD's case she knew that going in though. She only applied to the more expensive school to see if she could get in, never actually planned to attend there. I'm sure it's much more difficult for kids who were hoping the numbers would work.

Hi all. My oldest is graduating this year. She is going to Taylor University in Upland, IN. It's a small private Christian college. She's so excited. She received scholarships [academic and athletic] to bring cost down to state school level so that helped us out.

She had a hard decision and I'm glad she's picked....she found a roommate through their facebook page [have page dedicated to each class] so now it's on to dorm room decorating...any tips or ideas?

We're going to get her a laptop for graduation...

I've still got to plan the graduation party...not ready to face it yet. lol.

I have a question regarding invitations and announcements...

you send announcements just to out of towners? so they can be notified and possibly send a gift? and when do you send?

also for the open house? when do you send those invites? and how long is typical?? like 1-3pm or 1-5pm or 2-5pm etc?? we are having it 3 weeks after graduation [only day the place she wanted was open when i called in february]....is that ok??

thanks.

Well, we booked our flight to Tallahassee to visit FSU. We leave this Thursday. It's real now:sad1:
It is totally Temple's loss. And you know what, you wouldn't want you DD to be at a school that follows the rules so rigidly anyway. I know that DISers, in general, are a bunch of rule followers but sometimes rules need to be bent. To me, them not accepting the later ACT score for merit scholarships shows that Temple sees applicants as just numbers on paper instead of individuals and people. In the words of Maya Angelou, "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." Temple showed you who they are and you and your DD don't need that noise.

I hope your FSU visit goes well this week!

you send announcements just to out of towners? so they can be notified and possibly send a gift? and when do you send?

also for the open house? when do you send those invites? and how long is typical?? like 1-3pm or 1-5pm or 2-5pm etc?? we are having it 3 weeks after graduation [only day the place she wanted was open when i called in february]....is that ok??

thanks.

We just addressed invitations yesterday and I bought stamps today so they'll be mailed this week- her reception is 5/14 so just a little less than a month out is what we are doing. The reception is 2pm-5pm. 2-3 hours is typical. We are just sending invitations (not announcements) to everyone and they can come, send a card, or do nothing. We are delivering as many as we can by hand to avoid postage (like to her teachers and people at church that we will be seeing in person). Her reception is the Sunday before graduation, it is nice to have them spread out on different days so the kids can make the rounds to as many as possible. I think 3 weeks after is okay, though I wouldn't want to go any further out than that.

Hi all. My oldest is graduating this year. She is going to Taylor University in Upland, IN. It's a small private Christian college. She's so excited. She received scholarships [academic and athletic] to bring cost down to state school level so that helped us out.
Congratulations to her! Does she know what she wants to major in yet?

Got an email today that DD got a scholarship from the local rural electric company. This makes us feel a lot better after applying to so many, and the disappointment of not even being included in the voting of the drawing scholarship. There are more local ones that haven't been awarded yet, so we'll see. At community college she won't need a ton, we were just hoping for a few small ones so we can make our goal of getting tuition mostly covered by Honors program, scholarships, and tax credits :) $750 closer now!

It is totally Temple's loss. And you know what, you wouldn't want you DD to be at a school that follows the rules so rigidly anyway. I know that DISers, in general, are a bunch of rule followers but sometimes rules need to be bent. To me, them not accepting the later ACT score for merit scholarships shows that Temple sees applicants as just numbers on paper instead of individuals and people. In the words of Maya Angelou, "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." Temple showed you who they are and you and your DD don't need that noise.

I hope your FSU visit goes well this week!

I agree with what you are saying; however, my DS was going to go to Temple before he decided to go to PSU so we became pretty familiar with what was going on with Temple... I'm not sure how many of you know that Temple got in huge trouble last year for giving too much scholarship money over the past few years and I think it was the Dean or the President of the University lost his job over it. When we went several visits we were told they had to stick to the dates and guidelines for money and scholarships. I think they gave out a lot less money this year and were being watched very carefully because of what happened. So, while it's unfortunate that your DD didn't get the scholarship, I wonder if their hands were tied if she missed the deadline? If it happened last year, maybe they might have bent the rules for her!!

thanks.

We do not send announcements, no one I know does- my feeling is that it is just a way to get people to send gifts and I feel that is tacky. If you are my family or friend then you know my daughter is graduating and they send a gift if they want to. The only announcements I ever got was from 2 people in different states- one was Texas and the Virginia and my first thought was "crap I have to send a check"- I don't want anyone to feel they have to send a check.

Grad parties are
held throughout the summer here. We are doing it July 16th I am not sure what an "open house party" is but our party is 2-6. Appetizers and chips etc are out when they come- around 4:00 they will serve the food and dessert is like 5:30. My daughter wanted a back yard party so that is what we are going to do but I will have it catered so I don't have to worry about doing all the setting up/serving etc.- others we are invited to are at a local catering hall and those all run 4 hours- but those have like a DJ, photo booth etc....we have a speaker and an iphone play list in the yard LOL.

I agree with what you are saying; however, my DS was going to go to Temple before he decided to go to PSU so we became pretty familiar with what was going on with Temple... I'm not sure how many of you know that Temple got in huge trouble last year for giving too much scholarship money over the past few years and I think it was the Dean or the President of the University lost his job over it. When we went several visits we were told they had to stick to the dates and guidelines for money and scholarships. I think they gave out a lot less money this year and were being watched very carefully because of what happened. So, while it's unfortunate that your DD didn't get the scholarship, I wonder if their hands were tied if she missed the deadline? If it happened last year, maybe they might have bent the rules for her!!
Thank you for that information. I just read up a bit on it and it's an interesting story. Temple had to spend more than $22 million more in financial aid last year than was originally budgeted because they started to hand out merit scholarships automatically depending on GPA & test scores. Two people lost their jobs, the Provost and the President. BUT, the article that I read said that the merit money really changed the university for the better making it more diverse.

Thank you for that information. I just read up a bit on it and it's an interesting story. Temple had to spend more than $22 million more in financial aid last year than was originally budgeted because they started to hand out merit scholarships automatically depending on GPA & test scores. Two people lost their jobs, the Provost and the President. BUT, the article that I read said that the merit money really changed the university for the better making it more diverse.

I have no doubt their intentions were good! We really liked Temple when we went. DS almost went... I just remember the speaker from financial aid explaining that we must make sure to follow all dates and they would be as well

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter