Parade venting

Status
Not open for further replies.
it costs me nothing to take 5 seconds to make sure i'm not blocking someones view or in the way. i either sit down or move. Disney is a once in a lifetime trip for some people. some people may never get the chance to see that parade again. yes, while i may have the "right" to stand there and be a huge jerk, i'd rather be kind and thoughtful to those around me. if everyone thought about those around them, there'd be little need to fight to get yours.

I fully agree with you though I'm not sure if I would have used the term "jerk" to define someone who isn't as considerate as you are, actually they are basically being normal....while you on the other hand are being extremely considerate. I ran into someone like Mesaboy last night at Illuminations (easy Mesa, this isn't a dig, keep reading). He and his Wife and two kids had a primo spot along the railing between Mexico and Norway...we got there late, about 10 min before the show, and were standing behind them. I was going to pick my 5 yr old up so she could see but the man turned and said that my two youngest were more than welcome to move up and stand beside his kids and he and his Wife stood behind them. I really appreciated it and if he or his Wife is reading this .... :thumbsup2 you made my children's night which made MY night.

I don't mind standing if you were standing and always standing and being considerate to those around you. I do mind if you squeeze yourself in and stand in front on the curb and block the view of everyone around you. Or like what happened to us at the Halloween parade: about 45 minutes before we sat behind people who were sitting on the curb. Second row so to speak. It was a good spot, so we didn't feel the need to try to find something better. I had two kids, 2 and 4, with me. Five minutes before the parade starts, all the people in front of me stand up and then REMAIN standing for the entire parade so we really couldn't see. At this point people were about four or five rows thick behind us and moving to a different spot was not an option. We never would have sat behind them if we knew they were going to stand! I think everyone behind and around us were not too pleased either! Yes, they had a right to stand. But if they knew they were going to stand up and knew we were behind them with young kids (which they did) I wish they would have mentioned they might stand so I could go find a different spot. I think that is common courtesy.

Did you really think someone would stand for 45 min waiting for parade? You could ask them if it was important to you.:confused3

I went through the opposite last Wednesday during the Electric Parade. We were seated 35 minutes early in the handicap section. I sat in my chair, my 6 ft hubby behind me and my 21 year old niece behind my DD17 on my right side.
My DD9 was on my left side next to the rope
Only 2 other families were in this section so plenty of room.
When the parade started the cast member opened the section to anyone.
This family of adults ran into the space which had plenty of viewing space and stood in front of my DD9.
I asked them politely to move. They said no.
I made my child sit in my lap
A woman from that same party tried to get in from of us. I kicked her. Sorry but I did.
She moved but she thought my chair was hers to lean on. RUDE!

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

You kicked her?? :lmao: :lmao: You are complaining about the manners of someone else .... and you kicked her. Priceless.

First of all to the lady in the scooter, we should have a thread of who and who shouldn't have scooters, during my last trip I was hit by people in scooters because they were everywhere. I had a lady hit me and continue to hit the accelerator, wow thanks for making me run the Half Marathon with a swollen ankle..... About getting to your spot early, we (DD 12, DS12, & DM ) arrived to see wishes 3 hours early on the train station just so we can get a good seat, by the time the fireworks started I had my kids sitting on our lap because some rude adults had pushed them out of the way. Really what was that. How rude, get there earlier.

:rolleyes2

Oh. Sorry.

I don't like to sit on the cement, and I have a bad knee so getting up and down isn't always easy. I'll stand during a parade. Besides, if sitting was the expectation then there would be chairs. People chose to sit on a sidewalk because they don't want to stand, but I really don't see someone standing on a sidewalk as being rude. Standing in a theater on the other hand is definitely rude.

I fully agree with you though I'm not sure if I would have used the term "jerk" to define someone who isn't as considerate as you are, actually they are basically being normal....while you on the other hand are being extremely considerate. I ran into someone like Mesaboy last night at Illuminations (easy Mesa, this isn't a dig, keep reading). He and his Wife and two kids had a primo spot along the railing between Mexico and Norway...we got there late, about 10 min before the show, and were standing behind them. I was going to pick my 5 yr old up so she could see but the man turned and said that my two youngest were more than welcome to move up and stand beside his kids and he and his Wife stood behind them. I really appreciated it and if he or his Wife is reading this .... :thumbsup2 you made my children's night which made MY night.

i know i would feel like a jerk if i stood there knowing i was blocking the view of everyone behind me and all i had to do was sit down to give everyone a chance to see, while still getting to see everything as well. considering the age of most of the excited attendees, my height would certainly pose a problem for them. yeah, i get that it's not normal.

On Monday at magic kingdom and today at animal kingdom i couldn't believe the number of parents/adults that would stand in the front rows along the parade route making it very hard for kids to see. If you would sit down with your child in your lap it would be more enjoyable for everyone. Monday at magic kingdom, i was 4 deep and i sat down with my child so the people behind me could see....but nooooo.....there were these group of parents in the front that stood right behind their children. Just rude if you ask me!!!

Some of the parade route through Liberty Square and Frontierland isn't conducive to sitting on the ground. Through the circle in front of the Castle I think the first couple rows of people should try to remain seated. If you take the time out of your trip to line up way early for a good spot, you shouldn't be impeded upon by those whose who for whatever reason can't manage their time. I don't mind viewing parade from third or forth row any more, less trouble than standing your ground against uncouthes. :cool2:

p.s. I didn't win the powerball tonight...which means I should be in bed right now because I have to go to work tommorow :sad:

I prefer to sit to watch the parades, if there is a curb like along Main Street. If not, then I prefer to stand. It's a comfort thing. But if I'm planning to sit, I get to Main Street very early and get my spot. If I'm planning to stand, I'll grab a spot closer to parade time back in Frontierland or Liberty Square. I don't watch the parades all that often, but when I do, I sometimes wait more than an hour in my chosen seated spot. In fact, once when I planned to video the parade, I sat in my perfect chosen spot for three hours before it started (and I did get a great video out of it).

While I don't think standing in general is ruder than sitting, I do think it's kind of rude to sit waiting for the parade only to stand once the parade starts. Anyone who comes up behind you while you're seated thinks they have a chance at seeing the parade, and they may not have time to locate another spot once they realize you're standing up to watch. They picked their spot based on one set of information that's changed at the last minute. It's the same with the parents who put their kids on their shoulders when the show starts. If you are going to do that, do it from the time you arrive at the venue so others know in advance to not stand behind you. It's not so much what people are doing, but how and when they are doing it, that crosses the line between considerate and inconsiderate.

Maybe people who join behind should ask if party plans to sit instead of assuming. :confused3

I do stand during parades. I get there early and usually alternate sitting and standing until the parade starts. I sit for awhile if I'm tired, but then find I have to get up because my knee starts hurting if I keep it in a bent position too long. Anytime anyone walks up behind me, I do smile, and let them know that I'll be standing once the parade starts though, because my knee can't handle being bent that long.

I do look behind me before the parade starts though for any little kids that may not be able to see and tell their parents they are welcome to stand in front or beside me. However, sometimes I have to make it very clear that I mean the kids only. More than once, I've offered to let some kid stand in front of me and the whole family tries to inch me out, so they can stand with their kids. The parents always just try to smile and say they want to see their kids faces during the parade and they are sure that since I'm by myself that I won't mind switching places with them, since WDW is for the kids after all.:mad: At that point, I have to say kids only or the kids can go back to their parents. I finally got tired of being pushed out my spot that I had waited in for an hour or more.:headache:

niffer5150 said:
it costs me nothing to take 5 seconds to make sure i'm not blocking someones view or in the way. i either sit down or move. Disney is a once in a lifetime trip for some people. some people may never get the chance to see that parade again. yes, while i may have the "right" to stand there and be a huge jerk, i'd rather be kind and thoughtful to those around me. if everyone thought about those around them, there'd be little need to fight to get yours.

Very nicely said!!!

My experience has been that the folks with their precious snowflakes who show up at the last minute and try to shove their way in or loudly complain that no one is moving for their precious snowflake to see because "It's for the kids!" (had this happen at Fantasmic in the stnading room only area)... often didn't pay for said Snowflake to get admission to the park, Snowflake has no interest in parade/show/etc.., Snowflake wont even remember this trip, and the adult they're accosting paid nearly $100 to be in the park, will remember this event, and actually wants to see the parade/show/etc...

That's just my experience having covered Disney Parks professionally for over 10 years.

For the record, I don't watch parades. Why bother? It's not like they're particularly good in the first place. The one at the Magic Kingdom is the same recycled parade from a decade ago.

On Monday at magic kingdom and today at animal kingdom i couldn't believe the number of parents/adults that would stand in the front rows along the parade route making it very hard for kids to see. If you would sit down with your child in your lap it would be more enjoyable for everyone. Monday at magic kingdom, i was 4 deep and i sat down with my child so the people behind me could see....but nooooo.....there were these group of parents in the front that stood right behind their children. Just rude if you ask me!!!

I do not want to sit during the parade, my children are happy to sit in front on the kerb and i stand up behind them. If you want a good view do what we have to do and get there early!! I think its ridiculous to expect 4 rows of people who have taken the time to bag a good spot to sit down on the floor so that those who turn up at the last minute can get a better view. If i get there over an hour before and want to stand I will! If i get there 5 minutes before the parade starts i expect to get a rubbish view! I'm happy to move back so that small kids can stand in front of me but their parents can stand behind me after i've been waiting over an hour!:furious:

Yes, they had a right to stand. But if they knew they were going to stand up and knew we were behind them with young kids (which they did) I wish they would have mentioned they might stand so I could go find a different spot. I think that is common courtesy.
Then why didn't you just ask wether they plan to stand during the parade when you first got there? Why should they tell you what their plans are when you are the one showing up after them? I think you were in the position of asking them, not the other way around.

In general:
I really don't get it. I am an adult, yes...but I also travel like 15 hours to get from Germany to WDW and spent half a fortune to even make this trip happen. If I stake out my viewing spot for the parade 1.5 hours early (like I did this year for the MSEP) I am for sure NOT going to stand waiting those 1.5 hours. I had been walking around in the parks the whole day so the wait until the parade is a great way for a little break...and that to me means sitting down.
And yes, I did stand up when the parade started and blocked the view of some kids behind me. Even vthough I had not planned on getting up....why you ask? Well..families showed up like 15 minutes before the parade, shoved their kids through 5 rows of people and had them stand all around me while I was still sitting. The kids would step on my shorts, kick me in the back with their knees and just act if there was no one sitting on the ground. They pretty much were all over and around me and I had to watch out to not end up with an ellbow beeing shoved in my face. Would you have stayed seated then??? I did get up because I was actually afraid of ending up with a black eye if I stayed seated. And yes...the kids were complaining about not beeing able to see then but I was at the point where I didn't care any more.
The family standing next to me also showed up way ahead of the start of the parade. They also had small kids with them and I helped them keeping the kids entertained until the parade started. We took turns getting food or snacks during the wait and it was no big deal at all for their kids to wait as long as they did!
Don't get me wrong...I really love children...but as others have said: SHOW UP EARLY and don't expect from people who have been waiting for 1.5 hours to watch out for you or make sure that you can see when you show up 10 minutes before parade time.

I don't understand your statement. Would you care to elaborate?

The people from some places (and often countries) are simply less courteous than others.

These folks seemingly have no trouble cutting lines, leaving bags to 'reserve' places at shows, taking flash photos, and/or talking during performances.

These are often the same people who cause gratuity problems in restaurants.

Don't get me wrong, Americans are not the most polite people, but we would likely be further up on a list than many who attend Disney.

And I have to agree with the initial blogger and comment that prompted my response - all too often the most 'rude' participants at parades and those other moments I described are speaking a language other than English.

Again, don't get me wrong, language is not the issue. But some cultures are simply more or less courteous than others.

i know i would feel like a jerk if i stood there knowing i was blocking the view of everyone behind me and all i had to do was sit down to give everyone a chance to see, while still getting to see everything as well. considering the age of most of the excited attendees, my height would certainly pose a problem for them. yeah, i get that it's not normal.

Do you also get that some people can't sit down on the curb? There is no way my mom could get down that low, and then get back up again. When you get older things you used to do without a thought sometimes become difficult or impossible to do. No way mom could sit to watch a parade.

Once again no one wants to be personally responsible for their actions and consequences. You have small children and want them to be able to see the parade with a clear view? Get your spot early. Don't expect others to move for you. Some may move if you ask, but they don't have to. They are not that bad guys for your lack of planning.

I also want to add that I do squish over so that I can fit in as many people by me as possible. And I'm still mobile enough to be able to sit on the curb, so that is what I do. But I've also seen rude late comers try to force their way in where there wasn't an inch of space.

Some of the parade route through Liberty Square and Frontierland isn't conducive to sitting on the ground. Through the circle in front of the Castle I think the first couple rows of people should try to remain seated. If you take the time out of your trip to line up way early for a good spot, you shouldn't be impeded upon by those whose who for whatever reason can't manage their time. I don't mind viewing parade from third or forth row any more, less trouble than standing your ground against uncouthes. :cool2:

p.s. I didn't win the powerball tonight...which means I should be in bed right now because I have to go to work tommorow :sad:

I agree. In fact I think it would be great if everyone sat during the castle show. The stage is elevated 6 feet or so, and there is no bad viewing spot, until the people in front stand, blocking everyones view. With the stage elevated so, standing doesn't improve the view. Maybe they stand because their legs are cramped, but I think it would be nicer if everyone stood while waiting and then sat during the show. However, the only person I can control is myself, and some days I do a poor job at that. :goodvibes

I'm assuming that those that would like me to make a little room up front for their kids would have no issue with my family "finding" some open space ahead of them in IASW?

The parades are like any other attraction at WDW - get there early and reap the benefits. Show up late and suffer the consequences. I feel no worse standing at a parade where I've been waiting for an hour than I do when I walk past 100 kids as I use my FP.

I would also ask that people be careful judging who can and can't stand based upon appearances. My wife is considered handicap but may not appear so but just looking. It is a pain issue. We are in doctor's offices many times a week and spend at least two days a month in a hospital. You wouldn't necessarily know that by looking at her and her ability to withstand the pain varies throughout the day. What may appear to you to be a healthy 38 yr-old mom joking with her family is actually somebody trying to get through another day. She will likely spend the night in tears. Her life has certainly been shortened and even trips to places like Disney are difficult because most of our sick and vacation days are burned up by medical matters. Yet almost daily somebody makes a negative comment as she uses a handicap parking space (yes, we have the permanent handicap placard displayed) or doesn't otherwise act as they expect. She won't be sitting at the parade, just like she can't sit at her desk at work or at home. We're not trying to ruin your vacation, just making the best of ours.

Over on the Transportation Board their is a similar discussion going on about who should move or not move for others. Another poster in part stated "Don't judge people for not moving you don't know their story. I think it is more jerky to judge complete strangers who you don't even know."

I agreed with that poster there, and I think it applies here too. People need to try and keep that in mind when someone isn't quick to act how you think they should.

If we find a spot behind people who are sitting, I always ask if they will stand or sit during the parade.

I'm short, I want to see, too, so I do arrive very early for parades. We are usually on the curb or right by the rope.

The people from some places (and often countries) are simply less courteous than others.

These folks seemingly have no trouble cutting lines, leaving bags to 'reserve' places at shows, taking flash photos, and/or talking during performances.

These are often the same people who cause gratuity problems in restaurants.

Don't get me wrong, Americans are not the most polite people, but we would likely be further up on a list than many who attend Disney.

And I have to agree with the initial blogger and comment that prompted my response - all too often the most 'rude' participants at parades and those other moments I described are speaking a language other than English.

Again, don't get me wrong, language is not the issue. But some cultures are simply more or less courteous than others.

I think it depends on each one point of view. If you pay attention to each situation, you'll see that some Americans can be unpolite too. I'm not attacking or defending anyone's position here.

But you were asked to clarify because it sounds weird that the first reason for people being rude is just because they are foreigners.

But IMO, the issue is not about nationality. Is more about 'I'm on vacation and I have my day to day life to care about others'.

We've visited lots of times and encountered different situations and we try to be considerate to others.

Mx

not everyone can sit for long periods of time, nor do they want to.
and anyone who waits to see parades,is entitled to stand/sit wherever they have occupied their waiting time-whether young or old.

personally, i would rather be still merrily playing on rides/ watching shows during parade time, with lighter crowds.

a big build up of a static crowd is always going to cause problems to someone. :goodvibes

macadoo said:
I do not want to sit during the parade, my children are happy to sit in front on the kerb and i stand up behind them. If you want a good view do what we have to do and get there early!! I think its ridiculous to expect 4 rows of people who have taken the time to bag a good spot to sit down on the floor so that those who turn up at the last minute can get a better view. If i get there over an hour before and want to stand I will! If i get there 5 minutes before the parade starts i expect to get a rubbish view! I'm happy to move back so that small kids can stand in front of me but their parents can stand behind me after i've been waiting over an hour!:furious:

You're assuming i arrived 5 minutes before parade start.....i (we) didn't.....it was around 45 minutes and it was already 4 deep, but i was calm and polite and sat down sooooo those that showed up later had a chance to see the parade. I guess I'm just too nice and think about others. If you "have" to stand....move towards the back. It just makes sense to me.....if everyone would sit in the front, stand in the back, everyone would have a decent view. To me, its not a competition thing of....i got there first i should be able to do what i want. Just my opinion.....obviously theres some that agree with me and some that don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter