PALO UPDATES

jujubiee4

DIS Veteran
So I was watching DisUnplugged yesterday and Pete said his recent cruise was wonderful EXCEPT Palo.
He didn't go into it except to say he will record a video rant about it in the future.

Anyone gone recently? Any updates since Aug? We have it booked for brunch so i'm hoping things
will be good.

Last edited:
We ate palo dinner twice last week on the fantasy. Once with fixed price menu, once ala carte. Both were wonderful. All the food was so delicious. Best food we had on the ship. Both meals were about the same price - right at $100 for 2 plus tax and tip.

I wonder if Pete just experienced an off night. I also ordered Osso Bucco (the dish he complained about--got a preview on a Patreon video) on our Dream cruise in September and it was just how I remembered it from my cruise in January 2020.

We also did brunch on our September cruise and enjoyed it. No buffet, but they bring you an assortment of stuff that would have been on the buffet, and they'll bring more of anything you want. Entrees we ordered were great as well. We actually liked this way better for the brunch.

We were there on Oct. 12.
I got pre fixed, DH ala carte. He got Osso Bucco, which is what he always wants. We both enjoyed it......and our server was wonderfuL!!

When I saw the title I thought that they might have brought back the buffet for brunch.

If you only want more crab legs, or specific type of cheese, do they just bring you another tray of everything, or will they bring you only what you ask for?

If you only want more crab legs, or specific type of cheese, do they just bring you another tray of everything, or will they bring you only what you ask for?
No idea. We did get a 2nd seafood platter but we never asked if the would only bring part of it.

They will bring you another plate of whatever you want (one person in our party got a plate of just the shrimp). Still want the brunch buffet back - so many wonderful items are missing from the current iteration. And don’t get me started on dinner - we’ve done that on almost every cruise we’ve ever taken, but won’t do it again. The blatant money grab (charging for the previously included antipasto plate, a la carte pricing for their best items, etc.) and loss of other small touches such as the palate cleanser have made it a non-starter for us.

They will bring you another plate of whatever you want (one person in our party got a plate of just the shrimp). Still want the brunch buffet back - so many wonderful items are missing from the current iteration. And don’t get me started on dinner - we’ve done that on almost every cruise we’ve ever taken, but won’t do it again. The blatant money grab (charging for the previously included antipasto plate, a la carte pricing for their best items, etc.) and loss of other small touches such as the palate cleanser have made it a non-starter for us.
Thank you for this!!! We keep going back and forth on Palo brunch as it has always been a must do of ours. I know I'd miss the buffet, but they seem to still serve most of my favorite items, and nothing better then spending a few hours testing the limits of how much weight I can gain in such a short amount of time. But given the change, we are considering Palo dinner instead. We were going to do Remy dinner, but having already done it, we decided to skip it this time around. So, we're down to Palo brunch or dinner...or both! But, like you posted, the blatant money grab is what gets me the most. It's not about the actual dollars, I mean let's be real, if we can shell out 5k for a cruise, we can certainly toss out another couple hundred bucks. To me it's not the money, but the value of what I'm paying for, and in the case of Palo dinner, I'm just not sure it's there anymore.

We had both brunch and dinner on the Dream two weeks ago. Brunch was a bigger miss for us food wise, although dinner was less fun with the new pricing structure.

For brunch DH and I ordered 1 of each of the antipasti and seafood plates, 1 Benedict, 1 almond croissant, 1 artichoke ravioli, 1 veal saltimbocca, 1 red fish, 2 lava cakes (they’re calling it something else now, I think fondant cake). The starter plates were disappointing. I want more of what I want, and I don’t want the other stuff. I also really missed a few favorite items from the buffet, like the warm sticky buns. The artichoke ravioli was better than usual and the bread assortment we received was also better than the buffet breads we remember. The veal saltimbocca and redfish were just ok, but we both felt like it’s been better on past sailings. The almond croissant was inedible (tasted like plastic wrap) and the Benedict was cold. The lava cakes were very good, however I did feel that it was less decadent and amazing than before. Somehow the recipe or the ingredient quality has changed. The cake itself seemed more spongy and less dense. I really missed the chocolate covered strawberries and lots of little things that aren’t a big deal but were just part of the old brunch experience. We have brunch scheduled again on the Magic in a few weeks, and I plan to order slightly differently.

For Palo dinner two weeks ago we both ordered a la carte. I was unhappy with the price of the antipasti platter because I really just wanted a nibble of a thing or two and hated having to commit to the large plate with the large price. We both ordered the Buffalo Caprese and it was better than ever! Omg! Somehow my favorite app is even more my favorite now. The Buffalo mozzarella was so dang good I could hardly stand it. DH ordered the dover sole and it was better than ever too. I ordered the osso bucco and it was excellent as usual but I did have a few small complaints: the risotto was not al dente, it was just straight-up not cooked all the way. And my marrow was hardly enough to fit on the little spoon for one little bite. I know the pieces all vary, but usually the narrow is so rich that after a couple bites I’m willing to share it with DH, but for the first time I wished I had more (and he didn’t even get a nibble). We also ordered a side of spinach (forgettable-don’t waste your time!) and a side of the cavatappi Mac and cheese. The cavatappi was amazing! I ended up eating the cavatappi with bites of my osso bucco instead of the crunchy risotto and it was heaven! We had 1 of each soufflé and they were exactly as I remember, both excellent. We have dinner booked again on the Magic in a few weeks too and I can’t wait!

We ended up spending a bit more than we would have if it was the old $45/person for anything you want. But it wasn’t a huge amount more. I wished I could have had just a couple bites of antipasti and I wished the waiter had brought out something random we hadn’t ordered for us to try like the old days. We had tons of food, don’t get me wrong, but the lavish feeling was a bit more checked now. Either way we’ll go back, but I used to look forward to brunch more and dinner seems to have taken the spotlight for me.

Last edited:
As I have said on other Palo threads the only reason we go to Palos is we get it for free for being Platinum so I think it is ridiculous to have to pay $90 to $100 extra on top of an already expensive cruise line fare that already includes your food. On top of that they have lessened the meal experience.

As I understand it, Palo brunch is still all you care to enjoy, while dinner is either a la carte or a prix fixe dinner (not all you care to enjoy). That could be part of the issue Pete had.

As I have said on other Palo threads the only reason we go to Palos is we get it for free for being Platinum so I think it is ridiculous to have to pay $90 to $100 extra on top of an already expensive cruise line fare that already includes your food. On top of that they have lessened the meal experience.
I remember on the last DCL cruise I did YEARS ago on the Wonder it was only like a $15 upcharge per person. And was basically all you care to enjoy/order, just like the other restaurants are. Miss those days.

If you want to use your platinum credit for brunch who do you tell? Do you go to guest services or up
to Palo the day before. We have it reserved for brunch but i noticed a 45 fee next to it. Thx

If you want to use your platinum credit for brunch who do you tell? Do you go to guest services or up
to Palo the day before. We have it reserved for brunch but i noticed a 45 fee next to it. Thx
Whatever the first meal you take in Palo will be the comped one. On the reservations you'll see a charge, but it's waived at the time you go there.

Ok. So I just returned from a lovely B2B, Fantasy 8nt and 6nt. On our first night we went to PALO, dinner. We weren't very hungry and our total a la carte meals were each under $45. With the new way they do things, didn't even see our bill until the next day when I checked our folio. You may want to know that they charged me an 18% gratuity, even after my tip. After speaking with guest services... If I would've ordered the 4-course for $45, I would NOT have been charged the 18% gratuity. We went to Brunch on the 6nt instead...lovely menu, ate sooo much, and it cost $45each...tip was totally up to us!! Just a little bit of knowledge for you!🤔🙃

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter